Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega replacement...  (Read 11413 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Omega replacement...
« on: 03 August 2019, 21:45:43 »

... was collected today. :D

Albs was right on the money, it turns out. You've all met the Big Black Pussy, so allow me to introduce the Little Blue Pussy. ;)

Apologies for the nasty phone picture, that doesn't really do it justice. I'll take a nicer one when I get a chance.

It's a 2017 MY XE 25t Portfolio.

I was after something with a bit more usable boot space than the Omega, and started off looking at large hatchbacks. Was very tempted by the Mondeo. Huge amounts of space (more than I needed, TBH) but found it a rather uninvolved drive. Plenty of power and performance from the 2.0t petrol models but it felt a bit wasted on a FWD platform where you can't put much of it down on the road and can't really even tell when you're shredding the front tyres, I found. :-[

Decided I'd have to compromise a little on space and go for another RWD saloon.  :y

Drove the XE and was immediately sold. You can throw it around like Mrs KW's MX5 and it handles beautifully, yet it's also refined, very quick and absorbs the bumps and potholes well.

With modern petrols now economical enough not to have to worry about LPG, the boot space is just about acceptable with the rear seats folded down. Thereby the snag. Folding rear seats were a £400+ option on the XE and they are a bit sparse on the used market, and not normally listed in the adverts. I ended up travelling to Brentwood to see this one (only to discover that it spent its previous life just up the road from me in Basingstoke). ::)

Anyway, back up there on the train today and took it for a little jaunt around Essex before traipsing around the M25 and back home. I love it. :D With 240 PS, an 8 speed auto box and 200 kg less weight than the MV6 it feels effortlessly quick in comparison. There is some turbo lag which can catch you out at times, and the auto box is rather eager to romp down the gears in the response to the loud pedal to try and get the turbo on song. Until you've got used to this, rapid progress can be a little uncouth but if you're a little more careful with the loud pedal it's very smooth.

Seats are very adjustable with memories, you can wind the seat down low in the chassis, which adds to the handling. I never feel happy "pressing on" in anything too "sit up and beg". The interior is black leather and very comfy. It's going to be another effortless mile muncher like the Omega, I'm sure.

Toys. It's got them. Loads of them in menus everywhere. No idea where to find most of the features yet. ;D Did manage to get the Meridian audio system working on the way home, and that sounds pretty decent.

It claimed an average of 38 MPG for today's jaunt which included a mixture of hooning around and pottering along in M25 traffic, so that looks promising.

You don't get the V6 sound track of the Omega but the 4 pot is pretty quiet and doesn't intrude much. For the performance and economy over the Omega I can live with that.

I suppose it doesn't really do bangernomics in the way that an Omega does, but then I failed to find any worthy replacement for the Omega that's newish (3-4 years old) that does. If this lasts me as long as the Omega has, then it'll have been a bargain. ;D

My LPG'd 3.2 MV6 will soon be looking for a new home.... :'(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega replacement...
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2019, 21:55:29 »

Very nice 👍
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2019, 21:56:13 »

Congratulations on new purchase  :y :y

Good looking cars these new XE/XF's  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2019, 22:01:27 »

Nice!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2019, 22:58:16 »

Nice :y :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2019, 23:32:18 »

Shall I pm my address so you can send an example of Havana,s finest ?  ;D
Looks nice Kevin. If your hoping it serves as well and as long as the MV6, it has a big pair of shoes to fill.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2019, 23:39:11 »

Nice looking car Kevin,I hope it serves you well :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2019, 06:54:24 »

Chap at work has a diesesal version with manual box. £35 a year road tax on it as well

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2019, 08:36:50 »

Very nice car! Hope it serves you well  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2019, 11:09:00 »

Very nice  :)
I really like the colour , like Vauxhall spectral blue  8)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2019, 11:23:23 »

Looks good 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2019, 19:51:54 »

Nice car great colour 😎

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2019, 21:56:05 »

Funnily enough, I’m on the lookout for a new vehicle but likely to be a company motor and another pickup....

Hacking about the kind of mileage I expect to do a company motor (likely to be fully funded) means that something that drops into the “commercial” bracket for BIK but still has the ability to take the family is a no brainier.

Hope it treats you well Kevin :y

(Might try and see it in the flesh soon... I’m starting to find myself in the office regularly now :y)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2019, 22:10:38 »

Nice car, Kevin, if a bit common.  ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2019, 02:11:20 »

Nice cars, It’s definitely turning into a Jaguar owners forum at this rate  :D ;D :y

Test drove a 2014 XF 3.0 Diesel S few months back. Nice looking and comfortable enough if not a tad on the firm side but the handling is good so can forgive it for that. Tech inside good. Not much to dislike about them. Apart from the price maybe. That car I saw was on 64 plate around 52,000 miles and he wanted £17k (dealer not private)  :o ... Personal preference after trying a F30 330d xDrive and a 335d xDrive one of them will be my next car after the V8 Benz in a few years. They are quite something else to drive. Unless the XF depreciates better. We shall see  ;D

Best of luck with your XE  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.