Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeaky Squeaky  (Read 1840 times)

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
Squeaky Squeaky
« on: 13 August 2006, 11:56:10 »

I have two squeaks on my facelift Omega that are steadily becoming highly annoying and i wonder if anyone else has them and if they have solved them?

First one is the steering wheel or column area, only does it when its cold and its as if something is rubbing somewhere...it's a continuous squeaking when the wheel is being turned...ive tried holding and pulling/pushing the shroud to see if its that but it still squeaks.

and the 2nd is coming from the right hand side of the dash, it squeaks when i hit any undulation in the road surface...and i can make it do it if i grab the top right of the dash 'peak' and move it...knowing nme it will be a dash mounting point, and will require the dash to come out to fix!

and no, i dont have mice  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Squeaky
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2006, 12:33:23 »

new ones on me, mines the same age as yours...  :-/

You sure its not that tractor lump in there!  ;D - joking...

First Squeek,no idea

Second Squeek...hummm again new to me nothing squeeks or rattles in mine until the Sub comes on!

What part of the dash 'peak' do you move? all of it, sure it not connecting someware else and making that squeak? Maybe the cubby hole by your right knee area? - The plastic around there comes loose on mine every so often, does not make a noise you can just see its popped out.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 12:33:35 by tunnie »

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2006, 13:16:24 »

The creaking steering wheel when cold is a very common Omega problem.

There's even a TIS fix for it.

Basically you take apart all the stuff holding the steering column in place and when you put it back together you torque a couple of bolts to a new (lower) torque setting.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2006, 13:22:37 »

the first one is a known issue, "squeaking - noises when steering under cold and wet weather" - there is a field remedy for this detailed in a program that I don't have  ;) - essentially it entails loosening and re-tightening the tube attachment screws, however one is stated as being a "breakaway screw" and has a part number - 90468473 - so I think you'd need to order this before attempting to complete the work.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 13:23:13 by sounds2k »

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2006, 13:59:46 »

What part of the dash 'peak' do you move? all of it, sure it not connecting someware else and making that squeak? Maybe the cubby hole by your right knee area? - The plastic around there comes loose on mine every so often, does not make a noise you can just see its popped out.

Just by grabbing the top right of the 'peak' (the bit that comes up over the clocks) and shaking it i can make the sound, no idea if its connecting elsewhere, very possibly though...no, its not the cubby, thats as tight as a nuns *cough cough  ;D

So the squeak on the steering is a known problem...sounds a big job to fix it, dismantling the securing for the column.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2006, 14:34:13 »

not sure how much of the steering column needs taking apart, but when 'TheBoy' ripped apart mine to put on the cruise control, he did it in seconds... maybe worth loosening the screws securing it, see if that helps? They are stardard cross head screws.

No idea on the dash noise... it must be moving something else thats making it squeek

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2006, 14:43:44 »

How I hate squeaks.  They can drive you mad.  I still have one or two that come and go.

They seem to go when the music's loud.

My Missus has a built in squeak filter.  She can drive her car round for weeks without noticing a new noise or squeak.  I drive it and notice it the new squeak within seconds.

The cure will inevitably involve a certain amount of disassembly, which is a pain.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2006, 15:06:06 »

if i have the music on a bassy track and the sub is kicking out the sounds, the door light covers (white plastic covers on the corner of the doors) vibrate on mine...

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2006, 15:14:08 »

A powerful system can loosen panels, screws and connections over time!

That's why crimped connections are best, followed by soldered, then screw down and finally twisted together with a bit of sellotape insulation.

My most annoying noise is the driver's door lock pin.  It buzzes on certain notes.

The fix is to remove the door panel and support the lock pin and push wire with stick on foam draught strip.  Although I've never tried this.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.