Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First PC computers  (Read 3337 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: First PC computers
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2018, 16:44:30 »

Although some of the "educational videos" that were rife before the internet was invented, that we used to have a "library" of at work were clearly 3rd or 4th generation copies....

:P
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2018, 08:33:23 »

"educational" you say.. ;D

But yes, open source software has a lot going for it and, outside of work, it's basically all I use. Heck, as you know, our corporate product has Linux underpinnings for the management plane.. but back then I wasn't even a poor student - I was a poor school-kid who swept the streets for money (no, really .. though that may have been necessitated by the £200 phone bill and £200 CompuServe bill that I needed to pay back! ;D ;D), so spending money on PCBoard was out of the question  :D

Ah, golden days.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2018, 09:05:58 »

I only ever used CompuServe once, on a month's free trial.  Phone bill was £80 just for that (I used to get free itemised bills back then).

I remember thinking during my one man campaign to get ADSL to Brakkers, £50 a month of internet might seem expensive, but my phone bill would drop dramatically.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2018, 09:14:15 »

Heck, as you know, our corporate product has Linux underpinnings for the management plane..
As I think I told you (might have even PM'd the photo), the most use I've had from your product thus far is to use as a step ladder to fit some RAM in the top of a rack ;D.  I doubt I'll get more use, as they appear to have gone missing from that site :(.  Never even got to open the boxes.

(We use them extensively elsewhere, as you know, and they are great pieces of kit...   ...both for their intended use, and as boxes to stand on ;D)
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2018, 09:20:58 »

They are sturdily made! And lovely red balls.. ;D

CompuServe was great - but so damned expensive. Then again, so was AOL at the time, I imagine. It introduced me to things like IRC-like chat, before I had access to IRC, forums etc etc. Kids these days - don't know they're born, the Internet is practically free now in comparison..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2018, 12:18:38 »

I often stroke your red balls ;)

CompuServe was great - but so damned expensive. Then again, so was AOL at the time, I imagine. It introduced me to things like IRC-like chat, before I had access to IRC, forums etc etc. Kids these days - don't know they're born, the Internet is practically free now in comparison..
I guess in reality, once direct Internet (ie, likes of Demon, BT Openworld etc dial up services) became available for £15 per month (plus phone bill - pre Freeserve days, and pre the 0800 dialup days), the Internet was "cheap".  Broadband made it more usable by always on/available, but the monthly price rocketed to around £40 plus phone line when ADSL first came out.

So I think the Internet was always "expensive", only now its almost a necessity.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2018, 10:35:42 »

I often stroke your red balls ;)

I thought I could feel something..

I guess in reality, once direct Internet (ie, likes of Demon, BT Openworld etc dial up services) became available for £15 per month (plus phone bill - pre Freeserve days, and pre the 0800 dialup days), the Internet was "cheap".  Broadband made it more usable by always on/available, but the monthly price rocketed to around £40 plus phone line when ADSL first came out.

So I think the Internet was always "expensive", only now its almost a necessity.

Maybe that's true .. it "feels" a lot cheaper now, but that's probably subjective and largely due to my salary having increased somewhat from £100/mo ;D I spent years stuck on ISDN ("Home Highway"), mind, before I could get ADSL .. it felt expensive again, then, when I was paying significantly more than someone a mile down the road :(

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2018, 14:37:29 »

Amstad 1640, Twin 5.25 drives, B&W Monitor, DMP 4000 printer and all for the bargain price of £999  ???
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2018, 14:42:24 »

BTW, anyone getting nostalgic should go here: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 December 2018, 17:23:06 »

Dad was into computers and programming, (although he was a physics teacher by trade...)

Unfortunately he didn't consider that it was worth spending the time to teach my brother and I anything about them...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.