Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Pussies  (Read 12079 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Pussies
« Reply #60 on: 22 April 2017, 20:24:22 »

Out of interest why not a first generation XF-S, thought that would be a bit more you, more fun in the twisties. I really liked the 3.0 XF, nearly bought one  ::)
« Last Edit: 22 April 2017, 20:28:32 by tunnie »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22 April 2017, 20:47:26 »

I'm of the opinion that the XJ is a better looking and more elegant car than the XF/XFR......and the strange arse end gives it a character all it's own.

I'm surprised that you struggle to reach 30 MPG though. I thought the one and only upside of 'derv drudgery' is Tunniesque economy. In common with Mr Dbug my car managed about 26-27 MPG on a long motorway and fast A road route.....about 21-22 MPG more generally.

Despite running on lorry fuel it's a lovely looking car and being to portfolio specification should not be short of kit. :y

PS.....are you sure there is no passenger grab handle? ???

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 22 April 2017, 20:49:52 »

Very nice!  8)

Also those are quite impressive performance figures, Hopefully it proves to be a reliable car long term.

What are your plans on self maintaining the car or will most things be done by a garage? Such as brakes, oil etc...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 22 April 2017, 20:51:25 »

Filled it last night and reset trips, and drove back 25ish miles. Sub 30mpg.  So gonna have to get used to higher fuel costs ;D

Nice! "Using the performance" then ;).

For that mpg, weren't you tempted by the more hairy chested 5.0?
An XF wanted to play, so as a fellow Jag owner, it was rude to not oblige. Mrs TB, after a period of blissful silence, tells me there are no grab handles for the front seat passenger - another step down from a 19yr old Omega....

As to V8, we all know I'd struggle to get 15mpg day to day from a NA one, and 10mpg from a proper one.

Glad to see you've gone for a sensible car Jaime.  Guess the prices for the weasels have dropped quite low now - at least with the V8 prices are pretty stable - had mine about 2 years now, and depreciation over that time, looking about, appears at the most about £500.  Still the petrol versions are scarcer than the dervs.
On a recent run (mainly motorway) of around 350 miles, av speed was 65mph, and fuel was 28mpg, and I wasn't hanging about!!
Enjoy yours!!
Glad you're on.  I have a slight pull on it.  Do these benefit WIM style treatment, or just take it down the road for tracking?

Is it legal to do this whilst driving? ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 April 2017, 20:56:27 »

I'm of the opinion that the XJ is a better looking and more elegant car than the XF/XFR......and the strange arse end gives it a character all it's own.

I'm surprised that you struggle to reach 30 MPG though. I thought the one and only upside of 'derv drudgery' is Tunniesque economy. In common with Mr Dbug my car managed about 26-27 MPG on a long motorway and fast A road route.....about 21-22 MPG more generally.

Despite running on lorry fuel it's a lovely looking car and being to portfolio specification should not be short of kit. :y

Jag book figures say 39mpg fully urban, high 40's combined.  :-\

My VW diesel, which apparently tells lies..... is actually not far off book figures. On paper average is 60.1, I normally see mid 50's on my run to work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 April 2017, 21:01:25 »

Jag book figures say 39mpg fully urban, high 40's combined.  :-\

My VW diesel, which apparently tells lies..... is actually not far off book figures. On paper average is 60.1, I normally see mid 50's on my run to work.

TB may as well superglue the accelerator to the floor and be done with it. Perhaps a remap would help both performance and economy.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 April 2017, 21:09:27 »

Following on from STEMO's thread on why have a big engine, I reckon if I did a decent motorway run at tad below 60 and just stuck the cruise on behind a truck, I'd crack 70mpg.

Queue comments about how boring that would be  :)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #67 on: 22 April 2017, 23:50:59 »

dbug - did you get any instructions for the headphones, can't work out how to turn them off. Even popping the batteries out, and putting them back in, they are still on ;D.

Unless they are faulty, but they look to be nearly £200 to replace :o.

No only whats in the handbook, which is sfa  ::)

Had no issues with mine - turn off auto once dual view turned off.  Turn on at switch next time use of dual view.
Should also turn off with on/off switch on phones.
Is your dual view turned off?
Could try to disable audio output on dual view settings menu - select dual view hard button, then again to bring up settings.  From memory there is an option on touch screen to turn off audio output (headphones on button) - worth a try.

Is yours covered by Jag warranty? Mine was/still is and got a few niggles sorted ok.

HTH :y - if not yours may indeed be faulty - warranty or replace yourself.
Jag parts are indeed expensive - Landy headphones the same and cheaper.  Fraid that is part and parcel of owning an expensive Jag  :(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #68 on: 23 April 2017, 00:21:15 »

How old is she, any background on her?
Dusty? He's a he. Rescue cat, so history unknown, believed to now be about 3-4yrs old, BSH/British Blue.  We also have his suspected mother, Dinky, 4-5yrs old, BSH/Tuxedo, from same rescue place (they didn't want to be separated).
Er, I meant the car ....... ::)
Oh. Err, background, err, probably built in Castle Bromwich. Designed by some bloke in Whitley.  Replace the X358 smell-of-wee model.

Not much more to say really...

Age, miles? Any juicy options?
Mid forties, but definitely been around the block somewhat :P

Its a 3.0l twin turbo diesel, allegedly something like 275bhp, 0-60 in 6s, 155 mph limited.

Its the well spec'd Portfolio model, SWB, with some of the options ticked at purchase. Has just about everything I can think of, including the rare electric rear blind.  What it doesn't have is RSE or adaptive cruise. No front fogs either, but they are not an option on an XJ.

You shouldn't need front fogs with the adaptive lighting and cornering lights.
Thought adaptive cruise was standard fitting - have it on mine.
Mine also lacks a front passenger grab handle - if you look not a lot of room to fit one.  You can move side squabs electrically on seat base and back to keep passenger in seat if driving spiritedly  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23 April 2017, 08:47:10 »

Out of interest why not a first generation XF-S, thought that would be a bit more you, more fun in the twisties. I really liked the 3.0 XF, nearly bought one  ::)
Have you driven an X351 down a country lane?  I've driven both, and both are equally capable, with the XJ probably winning on pure grip by virtue of its tyres.

Both weight the same, with same engine, so performance is similar.

The XJ does give a better ride that the Portfolio XF-S, and is far more luxurious and better equipped. 
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 23 April 2017, 08:54:33 »

Not got decent brim to brim figures yet due to not properly filling it last time. But over last tank, I managed 32.x MPG. Due to my knee, I've not really gone anywhere, so that's just short journeys, shuffling cars about on driveways, and friends/family taking it for a test.

Also - again probably one for dbug, not that he has a lorry - not sure if it has a coolant heater, as this thing gets up to temp giver than my Omegas, most undieselesque like...

I'm sure if tunnie used it for a month, once the novelty of honing it around wore off, he'd hit the higher of the Jag figures (50mpg).  It seems everyone can hit the combined of 40mpg. Clearly they don't try hard enough ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23 April 2017, 08:56:04 »

I reckon if I did a decent motorway run at tad below 60
Every other VW owner does. In the middle lane.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 April 2017, 09:00:31 »

No only whats in the handbook, which is sfa  ::)

Had no issues with mine - turn off auto once dual view turned off.  Turn on at switch next time use of dual view.
Should also turn off with on/off switch on phones.
Is your dual view turned off?
Could try to disable audio output on dual view settings menu - select dual view hard button, then again to bring up settings.  From memory there is an option on touch screen to turn off audio output (headphones on button) - worth a try.
Not even mentioned in my book ;D.

They work OK, switch on fine, sound great, its just I noticed when I was playing around the red light was still pulsing, and pressing the button didn't stop it.  Maybe it wasn't connected to car at time. I'll have another play :y

I think Mrs TB is looking forward to her Mamma Mia on long trips, so you can see why the headphones *have* to work, to leave me with the sanity of Ken Bruce ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23 April 2017, 09:14:36 »

Not got decent brim to brim figures yet due to not properly filling it last time. But over last tank, I managed 32.x MPG. Due to my knee, I've not really gone anywhere, so that's just short journeys, shuffling cars about on driveways, and friends/family taking it for a test.

Also - again probably one for dbug, not that he has a lorry - not sure if it has a coolant heater, as this thing gets up to temp giver than my Omegas, most undieselesque like...

I'm sure if tunnie used it for a month, once the novelty of honing it around wore off, he'd hit the higher of the Jag figures (50mpg).  It seems everyone can hit the combined of 40mpg. Clearly they don't try hard enough ;)

Give it's spec it must have electric heater aid, my VW does, as you've seen they heat up bloody quick  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 April 2017, 09:19:58 »

Mid forties, but definitely been around the block somewhat :P
Should point out, I was referring to myself :P.

Car first registered 2011, 100k.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.