Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to buy?  (Read 5954 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy?
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2017, 20:40:30 »

Here's an interesting little video. Mine is about the same on the front, You can easily bounce the front with one hand without much pressure.

https://youtu.be/P_lzuQlPMqA

...Cornering is interesting to say the least and as Nick mentions 'hammering into bumps'... It's okay in a straight line on a smooth surface... But how often do you come across such a road.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2017, 20:44:18 »

Balance Motorsport.

Eibach Springs get my thumbs up, MV6 LSC and Irmscher only available second hand.

These Eibach springs?
https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/eibach-pro-kit-springs-vauxhall-omega-b-25-26-27-03-94-07-03-front-axle-up-to-1080kg-e6532-140-1047.html

The only downside with these would be the 30mm lowering of the car, As it's already catching on the drive a little with the standard ride height.

Are there any stiffer springs that don't lower the car?
Plod springs...  Work with self levelling... Killen also do HD standard height springs... Linked to recently in this section :y

Self levelling suspension has long gone, The previous owner replaced with standard rear KYB shocks if I recall, I did however put Sachs rear shocks/springs on the rear a few years ago seen as the KYB were leaking/failed MOT. Front seem to be on the original Sachs.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2017, 21:02:14 »

Rears, Sachs and Killen HD springs  :y

Fronts, same springs if you get them, but B4s will be fine :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2017, 17:19:17 »

I did have a look but couldn't find any Kilen 'HD' just the ordinary ones?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2017, 23:57:11 »

I did have a look but couldn't find any Kilen 'HD' just the ordinary ones?
Shop around and compare details... Stock aftermarket typically 17mm and 5/6 coils... Killen ones 18mm and 6/7 coils...

Recent thread links to both and differences stand out :y

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 April 2017, 07:32:47 »

If you have standard suspension, what is catching?  That may imply you have another issue?

I replaced my 17 year-old 186,00mile stock Elite springs three months ago, and the front of the car came up nearly 30mm! These were £90 delivered for all four. It now rides properly, rather than just hammering into bumps.

It had new Sachs struts about 5 years ago, and stock air shocks on the back in 2015. Stiffer springs/shocks on an ordinary road going saloon are just unpleasant.

Last year I replaced my standard 125K mile springs with Eibach -30s and the car dropped 10mm at the front and 5mm at the back so the numbers don't mean a great deal. I also have an occasional catch of the exhaust over the edge of the driveway but have learned the angle that avoids it - or to ask the wife to get out first... The ride quality, by the way is superb with good quality dampers and correct settings. All of the smoothness, none of the wallow and decent body control for an old barge. Can't speak for nastier cheaper less well engineered stuff though.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 April 2017, 13:33:39 »

I recently fitted plod spec springs & dampers on the front of mine, plus Monaro top mounts and polybushed wishbones, and I absolutely love the way it drives now.  8) :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 April 2017, 16:58:23 »

I recently fitted plod spec springs & dampers on the front of mine, plus Monaro top mounts and polybushed wishbones, and I absolutely love the way it drives now.  8) :)
A well sorted Omega is a hard car to beat, managing that holy grail of pretty capable handling with an excellent ride
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 April 2017, 17:47:53 »

Just need to get the wheels aligned now and I fear I may turn into a boy racer again.  ::) ;D
I did worry a bit that the mods would turn it into something which disturbed my fillings, but even on the local bumpy lanes, the ride is still perfectly acceptable, but the front end is really flat and firm on the twisties.  :)
Had to drive it to work this evening, as the 190 is displaying symptoms of having half a chip or a lump of chicken skin jammed in the outlet at the bottom of the fuel tank.   ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2017, 11:51:57 »

A well sorted Omega is a hard car to beat, managing that holy grail of pretty capable handling with an excellent ride
Even an estate 8)

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2017, 23:07:44 »

The suspension on mine is past it too as I can bounce the front with very little effort and the rear shocks are leaking/knackered as well.  and my driveway is uneven and the towbar catches on the pavement when I reverse in and the front bumper catches also. and when I drive in facing in towards the house the exhaust scrapes badly on the floor.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2017, 21:13:58 »

Almost forgot... What would be the best top mounts be for the front? Some searching on OOF I found these? Presumably they fit the Omega also..

http://www.monkfishperformance.com/info-vauxhall-monaro-cv8-57-parts

http://www.monkfishperformance.com/info-vauxhall-monaro-cv8-57-parts

or

Is there another alternative that isn't as expensive that are considered good enough?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2017, 01:03:04 »

Pedders Heavy duty Monaro is ultimate... Especially if fitting heavy duty or lowered springs :y

Top mounts and bearings are two of the very few components that the two cars officially share ;)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2017, 21:44:18 »

What would be considered the next best (cheaper) than the Pedders? If it comes down to it i'll just bite the bullet and get the Pedders. But they do work out to be the same price I paid for the Bilstein B4 shocks. The Kilen springs where £80. But if they truly are that good then it'll help justify the cost!.... How about the Lemforder ones from All German Parts? I know this brand has been questioned by a few members with concerns about quality not being as good as they once where etc..
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 22 queries.