Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Repair in 2019?  (Read 2749 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Why Repair in 2019?
« on: 09 September 2019, 12:48:09 »

My best, and most loved, Radley designer quartz watch has gone cup putt, third thing to go wrong over the last week!!  :o :o :'( :'(

Just been to my local (not chain) jewelers who I have dealt with for years to see what they could do. He tried to repair it, but the upshot was, he couldn't.  All he could suggest when I asked was a new 'mechanism' - about £60-80 - and a new glass face - £30-40!!

Just ordered a Radley designer quartz watch, very similar to the one broken - £79.99 down from £109.99! 8) 8) ;)

Just proves so often it is just not worth repairing anything - well apart from an Vauxhall Omega!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

Re: Why Repair in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 12:55:02 »

Do you want 10-15 handbags to go with it?
I don't think my missus would even notice that they had gone. She 'needs' a new radley every few months, but they go into her 'stash', never to be seen again. If I mention this.....well....I mentioned it once, and I won't do it again.  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 12:58:01 »

I don't think my missus would even notice that they had gone. She 'needs' a new radley every few months, but they go into her 'stash', never to be seen again. If I mention this.....well....I mentioned it once, and I won't do it again.  ::)

I usually need 4 per year for the seasons, but recently cut back to just 2 keeping the older ones longer!! 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 13:01:17 »

I usually need 4 per year for the seasons, but recently cut back to just 2 keeping the older ones longer!! 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;)
There's a place called Peter Jones up here, where last season's are about half price. How fickin stupid is that? What difference does it make? Do you just throw last seasons away, because people who know will look down on you?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2019, 13:04:54 »

A quality branded quartz movement is about a tenner and there's not much to fitting one.

Watch crystals are rarely more than a few pounds each, and are usually pressed in. Your jeweller is at the top end of what I would expect to pay - the bloke who reset the hands on my Precista PRS-82(a diver that uses an ETA 2783 automatic) charged £20 to remove the movement, reset the hands, refit, test and check the seals and timing.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2019, 13:08:20 »

There's a place called Peter Jones up here, where last season's are about half price. How fickin stupid is that? What difference does it make? Do you just throw last seasons away, because people who know will look down on you?

I could not agree more Steve! :y :y :y

That practice is plain, bloody, stupid, and now many women are questioning themselves, in this age of environmental enlightenment, the moral aspect of someone doing that.  I recycle and repair as much as possible, and only heels falling off of my shoes, along with bad scratches, and bad fading and un-repairable holes in the linings of my handbags makes me throw them aware. The practice of just buying the newer design to look good is so yesterday as far as I and a growing number of women are concerned, much to the relief of partners!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2019, 13:14:02 »

A quality branded quartz movement is about a tenner and there's not much to fitting one.

Watch crystals are rarely more than a few pounds each, and are usually pressed in. Your jeweller is at the top end of what I would expect to pay - the bloke who reset the hands on my Precista PRS-82(a diver that uses an ETA 2783 automatic) charged £20 to remove the movement, reset the hands, refit, test and check the seals and timing.

The trouble is with mine it has a Radley face along with a date and month separate dial features, so above what is 'basic' I'm afraid Nick :'( :'(

It is also a fact that even at a tenner plus fittings, with the new custom made glass for my particular watch at the quoted £30-40, it is still better economically to buy a brand new replacement at the price and am, with £30 off, and with a guarantee. The broken watch is about 6 years old to boot! ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2019, 13:24:24 »

Nice to have a reason to replace a fashion item :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2019, 13:26:19 »

Nice to have a reason to replace a fashion item :y

Well yes, to be honest, that is good! ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2019, 13:33:17 »

Apparently people do :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 15:47:05 »

Haven't worn a watch for fifteen years.  What do you need one for?

I would challenge anyone to guess the time more accurately than me ( without a watch). In any case mobile phones, shops, churches, tvs, cars , train stations etc etc etc all have time , then there is the sun.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 15:49:40 »

I would challenge anyone to guess the time more accurately than me ( without a watch). In any case mobile phones, shops, churches, tvs, cars , train stations etc etc etc all have time , then there is the sun.

Yes, i know you watch the sun; I did in Malta, but in the UK................... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

That's why sun dials went out of fashion here! :D

Anyway Varche, you wear a watch as a piece of jewelry didn't you know ::) ;D ;D ;D :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 16:03:22 »

Simple: it's mine, and like all my stuff I know it is working properly. I ring at 3 churches, and none of the clocks is right - mainly because they're old, worn and inconsistent. The clock is often a long way from the dial(s) which doesn't help the accuracy either. We adjust the one at Hoo during Monday practice once it has gained more than 20minutes. Other public clocks tend to be similarly wrong because they're not easily adjusted. Mobile phones aren't particularly accurate, and they're like carrying a pocket watch - which WW1 turned into wrist watches. The sun? You're only really going to be within about 15minutes at 3  times of day - sunrise, midday and sunset and you would need to know what time those are supposed to happen. And this is England, where you might not see the sun for days.

I've worn a watch for over 40years, and rarely use any other means of telling the time. I have several as they are the only jewellery I wear.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 18:36:37 »

Back in the day a man with a van would collect the telly when it went tits up.

So we would make our own entertainment for the next couple of weeks. :-X

When the TV was finally returned it was usually still as 'broken' as before it was taken away. :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 18:43:36 »

Back in the day a man with a van would collect the telly when it went tits up.

So we would make our own entertainment for the next couple of weeks. :-X

When the TV was finally returned it was usually still as 'broken' as before it was taken away. :-\

Or, if you remember as I do Opti, a real television repair man turned up, replaced a valve or two on site, or swapped a switch over (no sealed units then!) and left with us kids all very happy 8) 8) ;D ;D ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.