Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No milk float this  (Read 7626 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
No milk float this
« on: 02 September 2019, 16:31:49 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
Early yesterday morning I drove my 20 year old Omega 140 miles at motorway speeds, using lights and heater, and arrived at Enfield with my energy store still 3/4 full. Try that in a battery car.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: No milk float this
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2019, 17:36:36 »

Drove mine Yeovil to Mildenhall (google says 213 miles), then Mildenhall to Waddington (91 miles) then Waddington to Fairford (137 miles) and finally Fairford back to Yeovil (86 miles). Started off with a full tank, and put about 45L in when the low fuel warning lamp came on in Stow-on-the-Wold. Set off at 6am, and home by 7pm. Still got about one third of a tank in it this morning (say 20L).

So around 530 miles - mostly motorway/dual carriageway, and mostly high speed.

One B-52, one C-17, 7 Israeli F-15, 1 Israeli C-130, 9 German Typhoons, 4 Italian Typhoons, a few USAF Tankers, Herks, V-22's and RAF bit's and bobs. Sadly no B-2's though. 

Can't do that in a milk float.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2019, 17:54:40 »

Well, you could, but you would have stopped for the night. Twice. ;D

My first 3.2 (estate with 70 litre tank, saloon is 65 litres ;)) regularly did Horsham to Potter Heigham and back along with a couple of runs into Norwich or Wroxham on a single tank, typically 380-420 miles of pretty mixed driving :y

Equally, hammer down, and range would be south of 250 miles :-X

For comparison, currently getting 360-390 out of the trolley, (54 litre tank).

Interesting mix of planes there 8)
« Last Edit: 02 September 2019, 17:57:53 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2019, 18:20:28 »

Drove mine Yeovil to Mildenhall (google says 213 miles), then Mildenhall to Waddington (91 miles) then Waddington to Fairford (137 miles) and finally Fairford back to Yeovil (86 miles). Started off with a full tank, and put about 45L in when the low fuel warning lamp came on in Stow-on-the-Wold. Set off at 6am, and home by 7pm. Still got about one third of a tank in it this morning (say 20L).

One B-52, one C-17, 7 Israeli F-15, 1 Israeli C-130, 9 German Typhoons, 4 Italian Typhoons, a few USAF Tankers, Herks, V-22's and RAF bit's and bobs. Sadly no B-2's though. 

You obviously have had a great time! 8) 8) :D :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2019, 19:36:37 »

550L about 1900ks
Hoof'land storeman.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2019, 21:13:14 »

If you know where to look (and I've given you more than a bit of a clue!) then all the above are visible at locations in the UK for the next couple of weeks. Yes including three B-2's - which I'll have another crack at on Wednesday on my way to the Bristol ABS meet.

Point is, how is this sort of trip ever going to be possible with battery powered cars? It's going to need at least one, probably 2 full charges en-route. For some reason the RAF/USAF haven't yet fitted fast chargers around the perimeter fences of their airfields, so I'd have to hunt down the nearest one, possibly wait 20-30 minutes for it to become free, then 20-30 minutes to 'fill up'.

Hybrids I can see working. Don't have to be Petrol or Diesel - LPG or at a push Hydrogen is entirely possible although there is virtually zero public distribution currently. Pure battery is pure fantasy except for sub 100 mile round trip commuting.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2019, 21:31:25 »

If you know where to look (and I've given you more than a bit of a clue!) then all the above are visible at locations in the UK for the next couple of weeks. Yes including three B-2's - which I'll have another crack at on Wednesday on my way to the Bristol ABS meet.

Point is, how is this sort of trip ever going to be possible with battery powered cars? It's going to need at least one, probably 2 full charges en-route. For some reason the RAF/USAF haven't yet fitted fast chargers around the perimeter fences of their airfields, so I'd have to hunt down the nearest one, possibly wait 20-30 minutes for it to become free, then 20-30 minutes to 'fill up'.

Hybrids I can see working. Don't have to be Petrol or Diesel - LPG or at a push Hydrogen is entirely possible although there is virtually zero public distribution currently. Pure battery is pure fantasy except for sub 100 mile round trip commuting.

Not even at Fairford where so many go to watch superb aircraft - or at least did when I used to go there with my ex!  :o

Some great memories! 8) 8) :y

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2019, 21:49:00 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
Early yesterday morning I drove my 20 year old Omega 140 miles at motorway speeds, using lights and heater, and arrived at Enfield with my energy store still 3/4 full. Try that in a battery car.
I'd have done on 1/8th of a tank. Try that in a petrol.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2019, 22:58:26 »

Yep, this is what I keep saying. In a couple of weeks I've got a similar trip to do - with a 1500 kg glider trailer on the back.

Have they made a leccy car that's even capable of towing yet? None of the hybrids I considered are (people who tow buy chelsea tractors these days, apparently. Not me!). ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2019, 07:39:02 »

Yep, this is what I keep saying. In a couple of weeks I've got a similar trip to do - with a 1500 kg glider trailer on the back.

Have they made a leccy car that's even capable of towing yet? None of the hybrids I considered are (people who tow buy chelsea tractors these days, apparently. Not me!). ::)

Tesla Model X SUV.  :y  It has a decent kerb weight as well, but is quite expensive.  :)  Hauling a van/trailer about would seriously hit the range, although it still pulls like a train with a van on the back apparently.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2019, 07:48:45 »

Not even at Fairford where so many go to watch superb aircraft - or at least did when I used to go there with my ex!  :o

Some great memories! 8) 8) :y

You would tick the vast majority of them off at Fairford in recent years, plus of course more of various vintages (Harrier there this year displaying, stealth bomber fly past last year etc etc)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2019, 08:10:00 »

Tesla Model X SUV.  :y  It has a decent kerb weight as well, but is quite expensive.  :)  Hauling a van/trailer about would seriously hit the range, although it still pulls like a train with a van on the back apparently.  :y
Not to mention the £130k price tag :o

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2019, 09:23:37 »

Not to mention the £130k price tag :o

Pretty comparable to a similarly specced and performant RRS/FF RR/Cayenne/etc, though, I imagine..

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2019, 09:47:06 »

A quick rummage suggests £84k start, so I guess that by the time you have scatterbombed the option list, you are probably going to be well north of £100k...

That said, second hand you really are at the mercy of the original purchaser... I know of an S320L (£53k) that had pretty much every single option ticked except parking sensors... A £300 saving on a car that ended up at nearly £78k ::)
« Last Edit: 03 September 2019, 09:49:51 by Doctor Gollum »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2019, 12:42:11 »

With a model 3 long range I'd estimate you would need two 20 minute stops  and one 10-15 minutes stop, this would be using superchargers the OP passed on his drive around. You can cut these times nearly in half once the upgraded supercharger network is rolled out over the next 18-24m and I am yet to see anyone queuing at a tesla charging station. So you're looking at adding an hour to what is a pretty rare usage case. In the main I have found that having an EV has cut down the time I spend refuelling, not increased it. 

Mainstream ev's have been in existence less than a decade (my personal definition would be that mainstream ev's started with the nissan leaf in 2010). In that time the range has tripled and performance has gone from a joke to rivalling the quickest mainstream ICE cars. *Ever* is a long time, but I think if you give it 10 years more you'll see 300 real world miles and 250kw charging as standard meaning that journey would involve a couple of 5-10minute quick charges. Its also worth noting that the OP clearly hasn't counted the (apparently) many hours spent maintaining his ICE car, which would not be spent on an EV.

Why? My golf is already outdated tech and my daily commute is either 110 or 170 miles round trip and I can guarantee I spend less time refuelling my car than anyone with an ICE vehicle doing the same 12000 miles I've covered since March. I get to work and spend 10-15s plugging it in and maybe 5s plugging it in when I get home at night.

With the latest generation of cars, I could save myself that 10-15s at work, at which point id spend 25-30s a week on refuelling. Even going to a petrol station in the dead of night or early morning (my former preferred time) it took me that long to have my credit card details checked by the self service machine, much less pump the diesel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.