Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2983169 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #19020 on: 04 September 2019, 19:28:07 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter

similar crappy design on Sh!troen crapasso but in theory you can replace the internal filter on those ,then they leak or leak from the electrical float switch plug
when I did the Zafira A diesel filter (simple 1 bolt /paper element ) it was date stamped 2005  ::)
At least they popped a new one in at the factory then
not quite that bad , it's a Jan 2003 car ,so probably had a new filter at first major service, say 2006 , it was absolutely filthy with black gunge .about 120k miles now
the 2007 zafira B petrol does not even have a fuel filter (other than the strainer on the in tank fuel pump)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19021 on: 04 September 2019, 19:48:25 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter. This contraption can only have been designed by a deranged cheese eater who loves to make something complicated when it doesn't need to be.
The kind of diesel filter im used to changing looks like this
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Mercedes-Benz_190+Series_2.5_1990/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503220028&1&9e1826eccd4a568e3f8607978d3ab98862af3f97&000140

Retails at under £7, sits at the top of the engine, held in place by one bolt and takes two minutes to change.

The filter for the Welsh hatchback back is like this.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Renault_clit_1.5_2009/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503745188&1&6361b30dcb9f31e9b2fb504277ae497c9e99cd0d&000140
Retails at £46, lives behind the o/s/f wheel arch liner, has a bracket with four bolts which needs to be removed to access it, and takes about an hour to change.
When I fitted the new one yesterday, it became apparent after a while that something was wrong when approx. a gallon of diesel appeared all over my drive. Took everything apart again to find one of the pipes which go into it wasn't sealing properly. Try as I might I couldn't get it to seal, so had to go back to eurocraprats this morning to change it for a non faulty one and then do the whole fickin job again. All seems ok now.
I hate cars sometimes.

Just to depress me slightly further, I filled it up with diesel yesterday and worked out the real mpg since I filled it up a few weeks ago. I achieved 54.1mpg. According to the lying little dashboard though, I achieved 60.5. Must be Welsh that Welsh gallons are slightly different ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19022 on: 04 September 2019, 20:08:24 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter. This contraption can only have been designed by a deranged cheese eater who loves to make something complicated when it doesn't need to be.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Mercedes-Benz_190+Series_2.5_1990/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503220028&1&9e1826eccd4a568e3f8607978d3ab98862af3f97&000140

Retails at under £7, sits at the top of the engine, held in place by one bolt and takes two minutes to change.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Renault_clit_1.5_2009/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503745188&1&6361b30dcb9f31e9b2fb504277ae497c9e99cd0d&000140
Retails at £46, lives behind the o/s/f wheel arch liner, has a bracket with four bolts which needs to be removed to access it, and takes about an hour to change.
When I fitted the new one yesterday, it became apparent after a while that something was wrong when approx. a gallon of diesel appeared all over my drive. Took everything apart again to find one of the pipes which go into it wasn't sealing properly. Try as I might I couldn't get it to seal, so had to go back to eurocraprats this morning to change it for a non faulty one and then do the whole fickin job again. All seems ok now.
I hate cars sometimes.

Just to depress me slightly further, I filled it up with diesel yesterday and worked out the real mpg since I filled it up a few weeks ago. I achieved 54.1mpg. According to the lying little dashboard though, I achieved 60.5. Must be Welsh that Welsh gallons are slightly different ?
The Astra 1.7CDTi estate does 55 real world (last twice it was brim to brim calculated ) and that must be a much heavier car than your French race car  ::) does your calculation include the tractor juice you dumped all over your drive  :P

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19023 on: 04 September 2019, 20:09:17 »

.. or it's French and there's a hole in the tank. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #19024 on: 04 September 2019, 20:10:30 »

I hate cars sometimes.

The Astra 1.7CDTi estate does 55 real world (last twice it was brim to brim calculated ) and that must be a much heavier car than your French race car  ::) does your calculation include the tractor juice you dumped all over your drive  :P
Heavier car and 1.7 v 1.5.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19025 on: 04 September 2019, 20:24:02 »

the 1.5 French car is 4+ years newer too and the astra engine is old technology (the isuzu lump)

maybe the MPG will improve now it's serviced  :-\
it's worth checking live data on the coolant and the ambient temp sensors and MAF to check they are somewhere near correct

STEMO

« Reply #19026 on: 04 September 2019, 20:25:10 »

the 1.5 French car is 4+ years newer too and the astra engine is old technology (the isuzu lump)

it's worth checking live data on the coolant and the ambient temp sensors and MAF to check they are somewhere near correct
Or be happy with 54mpg?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19027 on: 04 September 2019, 20:31:20 »

Or be happy with 54mpg?
Yes ,
slightly better than MY 24 MPG  ;D
I was getting 25 MPG before,so I think my foot needs to go on a diet  :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19028 on: 05 September 2019, 08:35:17 »

The diesel all over the drive was from the new tankful that went in the day before. Wont be able to check mpg on this tankful because of that, but will check the next one to see if  a service has improved things.
It seems to achieve its best mpg at 40 - 45 mph,which isn't easy to maintain on single carriageway roads most of the time, and is far to slow for my occasional dual carriageway drives.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19029 on: 05 September 2019, 13:13:10 »

Yousure that's the Isuzu lump Dave TB?
I thought the 1.7 CDTi was the Fiat engine

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19030 on: 05 September 2019, 13:14:42 »

Got the Monaro out, loaded up with camping gear ready for tonights ferry to Holland.
Going back for the third time to the "Big Opels" show

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19031 on: 05 September 2019, 15:11:39 »

1.3 and 1.9 and 2.0 CDTi is the Fiat (although GM had a significant input), 1.7CDTi is Isuzu based and 1.6CDTi is the latest GM unit  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19032 on: 05 September 2019, 16:25:04 »

22.6 MPG but the trip is always 15% optimistic when compared to a brim to brim test.

So 19.2 MPG.

Who needs derv? ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19033 on: 05 September 2019, 17:15:11 »

1.3 and 1.9 and 2.0 CDTi is the Fiat (although GM had a significant input), 1.7CDTi is Isuzu based and 1.6CDTi is the latest GM unit  :y

Explains the logical position and ease of access to oil filter.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19034 on: 05 September 2019, 17:34:19 »

22.6 MPG but the trip is always 15% optimistic when compared to a brim to brim test.

So 19.2 MPG.

Who needs derv? ::)
Because I used it to go to Londonium and Walsall - both work journeys, thus 70ish mph - mine is currently claiming 40mpg, so about 35mpg.

Normal service will resume of/when I use it privately.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.