Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambelt  (Read 1756 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Cambelt
« on: 30 October 2023, 10:25:01 »

Hi all....I know the cambelt fitting duration has been discussed on here many times, but I have a dilemma this time.......I have always been a staunch belt changer every four years on all of my Omega's. However this time, its been four years since Gixer changed the belt, but its only been driven a few hundred miles, if indeed that. It has been started regularly and run for a few minutes every week. I will probably get it changed, but does it need the full set. I thought someone said to me you only need the tensioner and a belt, is this correct.
Thanks....
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Cambelt
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2023, 11:17:37 »

Ultimately, this is really down to your comfort level.

I recently did the zafira at 103k and 14yrs old  :-X. The belt was shiny on the non-toothed side but there was no cracking. Clearly this will vary car to car but my point is, I wouldn't be as dogmatic as some about the 4yr interval.

Ultimately it's how much risk you're willing to take, and only you can decide that. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2023, 11:44:20 »

Considering the mileage covered, I would give it another couple of years especially if it's not going to be used much.

There's no point in only changing some of the parts.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2023, 12:34:50 »

I used to run mine to the full 80k but they were changed a damn sight sooner than the four year intervals. Any other Omega with limited/unknown history got a new belt as a matter of course.

I would suggest that going a bit longer won't hurt provided you religiously change the complete kit.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2023, 13:26:09 »

Reality is that the stated interval is deemed safe, but the vast majority will run for much longer without issue.  There is, of course, always the risk you will be one of the unlucky ones...

You pays your money and takes your choice ;)

When cambelt kits were cheap and readily available, it was a no brainer to do it, as it doesn't take that long. No idea about the avaiability of them now, or if available stock has been sat on damp shelves for decades etc...
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2023, 14:25:06 »

Reality is that the stated interval is deemed safe, but the vast majority will run for much longer without issue.  There is, of course, always the risk you will be one of the unlucky ones...

When cambelt kits were cheap and readily available, it was a no brainer to do it, as it doesn't take that long. No idea about the avaiability of them now, or if available stock has been sat on damp shelves for decades etc...

This is a very good point.  You might end up fitting a belt that's older than the one on the car.  ::)

I've never been religious about cambelts. My V70 for example might well have the original belt, 19 years and 190,000 miles after it was fitted for all I know, as I have no paperwork or stamp in the book for a cambelt and I never got round to getting it done.  :-X

I know admitting that kind of behaviour on here is akin to heresy  ;D, but there must be millions of old cars happily going round with the original belt kit.  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2023, 14:51:50 »

This is a very good point.  You might end up fitting a belt that's older than the one on the car.  ::)

I've never been religious about cambelts. My V70 for example might well have the original belt, 19 years and 190,000 miles after it was fitted for all I know, as I have no paperwork or stamp in the book for a cambelt and I never got round to getting it done.  :-X

I know admitting that kind of behaviour on here is akin to heresy
  ;D, but there must be millions of old cars happily going round with the original belt kit.  ???
Only in certain quarters. My Astra diesel got changed after 80K, and then I ran into c.120K before trading it. The Astra J we had before that got traded at around 90K, and it hadn't had a belt. I believe the original interval for omegas was 80K, until they started snapping well before that.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2023, 15:49:51 »

The reason they snapped early was because unscrupulous dealers wouldn't change anything other than the belt.

The 40k interval came about as a healthy dose of arse covering.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2023, 16:15:23 »

The reason they snapped early was because unscrupulous dealers wouldn't change anything other than the belt.

weren't the original idler pulleys plastic?  :-\

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2023, 16:50:29 »

Thanks for the replies. I think I shall go with the consensus and hold back for a while. I am hoping to respray the roof and bonnet in December, then fit the new windscreen surround. Then early in the new year, see about getting the valve stem seals done, and obviously whilst it’s stripped down, do the cam belt. James has given me a rough price for doing the aforementioned work. Car has only done 81, 000 miles, so I want to get it back on the road, mainly for local use.
On a slightly different topic, has anyone got their car on classic insurance, what are the limitations, and the cost.
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2023, 17:56:34 »

weren't the original idler pulleys plastic?  :-\
That won't have helped, but charging for the kit and only fitting the belt saves time and money ergo better margins for the dealer.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2023, 18:56:05 »

Thanks for the replies. I think I shall go with the consensus and hold back for a while. I am hoping to respray the roof and bonnet in December, then fit the new windscreen surround. Then early in the new year, see about getting the valve stem seals done, and obviously whilst it’s stripped down, do the cam belt. James has given me a rough price for doing the aforementioned work. Car has only done 81, 000 miles, so I want to get it back on the road, mainly for local use.
On a slightly different topic, has anyone got their car on classic insurance, what are the limitations, and the cost.

Depends on how old your car is Terbs but you could give Cherished insurance a look

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2023, 21:13:00 »

You'll need to remove the screen to fit the windscreen surround, so be prudent to paint the roof whilst the screen is out... That way you can attend to any otherwise hidden issues and future proof the screen aperture/a pillars/roof edge ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2023, 20:50:23 »

Hi all....I know the cambelt fitting duration has been discussed on here many times, but I have a dilemma this time.......I have always been a staunch belt changer every four years on all of my Omega's. However this time, its been four years since Gixer changed the belt, but its only been driven a few hundred miles, if indeed that. It has been started regularly and run for a few minutes every week. I will probably get it changed, but does it need the full set. I thought someone said to me you only need the tensioner and a belt, is this correct.
Thanks....

Got a similar situation with the silver Omega, only done a couple of thousand miles in over four years. Needs a Cambelt kit and an MOT on it :(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2023, 11:39:28 »

Makes sense to do the cambelt kit while it’s here for stem seals. It has to come off anyway, so it won’t cost you any more than the price of the kit. Plus it’s pointless doing all that work to risk ruining it, by fitting an expired belt kit back on :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.