Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on swmbo's accident!  (Read 3617 times)

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Update on swmbo's accident!
« Reply #15 on: 26 August 2009, 10:00:08 »

Fra the same thing happened to my mother on that roundabout 3 years ago the way the roundabout is set you can use both lanes to go to perth or dunblane
it was settled as a 50/50 by the insurance companies

personaly i would say outside lane for perth  inside lane for dunblane.

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 August 2009, 11:12:10 »

Fra the same thing happened to my mother on that roundabout 3 years ago the way the roundabout is set you can use both lanes to go to perth or dunblane

Doug

:-/ :-/ not sure about that D :y

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2009, 11:34:10 »

Doug

So do several friends and family who use that road regularly. A mix of taxi drivers, field repair technicians, and dare I say.........one plod! All stating that usually the traffic is a lot slower moving in the left hand lane due to tourists and large vehicles, so the right hand lane usually makes the most sense. Espescially as it is clearly marked that both lanes can be used.

Had the other driver paid attention to the clear road markings, we would not be in the situation we are in!

Pretty clear cut imho!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2009, 19:16:30 »

Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket, road markings permitted, its upto any driver to ensure its safe to change lanes?

You really need additional pics of how a driver, whilst in lane 2 as your other half was, is able to leave that lane onto their new road.  Is there a 'snail' type set of markings from her lane onto lane 2 of the new road?  You really need pics of that too. 

I would still think that the ins co's will settle 50/50 unless you really bolster your highway code/road markings/carefull and considerate driver argument....   :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2009, 19:30:40 »

Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket, road markings permitted, its upto any driver to ensure its safe to change lanes?
You really need additional pics of how a driver, whilst in lane 2 as your other half was, is able to leave that lane onto their new road.  Is there a 'snail' type set of markings from her lane onto lane 2 of the new road?  You really need pics of that too. 

I would still think that the ins co's will settle 50/50 unless you really bolster your highway code/road markings/carefull and considerate driver argument....   :y

;D ;D and I can still feel the slap of the heavy black plastic SO rule on  the back of my left hand when the instructor reckoned that I hadn't engaged M S M before departing position :y :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2009, 20:10:49 »

;D ;D and I can still feel the slap of the heavy black plastic SO rule on  the back of my left hand when the instructor reckoned that I hadn't engaged M S M before departing position :y :y

yup.......   :y

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2009, 20:48:42 »

heres a picture of Keir roundabout i borrowed from google earth
it may clear up any confusion

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2009, 20:58:37 »

2 lanes at the 6 o'clock, two lanes at exit at 11. 

Same general rules apply whereby the person on lane 2 at entry and following that path around the roundabout towards exit must ensure its safe to leave at the lane 2 exit, irrespective of who/what is in lane one.

I was taught to read the advance direction sign prior to entry.  If your exit is prior to 12 o'clock - as in this case - then take lane 1.  If its after 12 then use lane 2 but remember to Mirror Signal Manoevre........
« Last Edit: 26 August 2009, 20:59:19 by hotel21 »

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 August 2009, 02:10:39 »

Not having been up there for a while, i'm not sure if there are any dashes indicating lanes on the roundabout.

Guess I will be doing that this weekend. ::)

I understand the before/after 12 o'clock rule as do most people.
However given the road markings preceeding the roundabout, the directions are pretty clear.

Rena has stipulated to me that she checked her mirror, checked over her shoulder, started to indicate, then bang! The car hit her.

If I had no personal link to this, and saw the pics on here, I would concentrate on the following.

Clear exit markings on the roadsign.
The 12 o'clock rule/mantra.
The very clear roadmarkings.
The fact he intended to pass on the left on a roundabout.

Again, pretty clear imho.

P.S.

Cheers for the pic Doug. :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.