Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?  (Read 5588 times)

STEMO

Re: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2019, 12:39:22 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.
I have a diesel that's auto and I love it  ;D

How about when it's 12 years old and any repair is more than the car is worth?
How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?
And more than the car is worth to who? Parker's?

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y

Yep and they are much easier on the drivetrain that follows them due to their smoother torque delivery, meaning that if you have a fragile FWD automatic box there is less chance of it dying.
I'm glad that, according to Mark, I've one of the best auto gearboxes about, then.  :P

Bunch of old, and young, men going on about keeping cars until they die. That's the men, not the cars.  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2019, 14:41:46 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.

How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y

Yep and they are much easier on the drivetrain that follows them due to their smoother torque delivery, meaning that if you have a fragile FWD automatic box there is less chance of it dying.
I'm glad that, according to Mark, I've one of the best auto gearboxes about, then.  :P

Bunch of old, and young, men going on about keeping cars until they die. That's the men, not the cars.  ;D

I think its the same gearbox that my Saaaaaaab has  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2019, 14:46:30 »

And how many miles has your Saab done?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2019, 14:47:01 »

other rides 

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2019, 14:50:42 »

At least 86K left in mine then  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2019, 14:51:38 »

Yeah,drive on :y
other rides 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2019, 14:57:34 »

But Saab are driven by Scandinavian philosophers and intellectuals. An Astra derv driven by a  surly pensioner from Barnsley will not receive the same TLC. :)

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2019, 14:59:00 »

Surly?  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2019, 15:05:35 »

Surly?  ;D

Apt and concise. Applies to most old people from the North. ::) ::) ::) :) ;)

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2019, 15:07:13 »

Surly?  ;D

I am not surly, so you can f**k right off.  >:(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 June 2019, 15:35:11 »

Getting back to the topic in hand.... 'ordinary' cars?
Does that mean the cheap 100k sub £2-5k runabout? In that situation, then I'd agree condition is important and the spec secondary, but if we are talking about a more current model perhaps still under warranty then spec IS important in my opinion.
Only ever had one Vectra , a 2.5 V6 - very nice car in its day, but Vectras now don't float my boat. But if it just a cheap roundabout does it matter that much?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 June 2019, 16:26:13 »

Wow! Lucky I’m still sane after all this
Laying a rubber road.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2019, 19:02:53 »

Who said you were. :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2019, 19:16:55 »

Surly?  ;D

I am not surly, so you can f**k right off>:(

......that's the ticket. ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 June 2019, 23:25:35 »

Who said you were. :P
                  Everybody say, I’m cool, he’s cool.....
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.