Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 16V DTI (Y22DTH) Estate New Exhaust Woes (aka How Much?!!)  (Read 1503 times)

Spike

• York/Leeds
    • View Profile

My Omega's having a hard day at the MoT Centre. My wallet's taking a bashing as well :'(

Most things are sort of to be expected (ball joint, disc, pads, tire) as she's 14 years old and nearly 200K miles.

The centre pipe is holed, no big issue, but it isn't going to come off the front pipe so I need a front section as well (the bit with the cat(?) in it!). The best the garage can do is a genuine Vauxhall part from Germany (none in the UK apparently) for over £500 (that maybe plus VAT; I was in a state of shock at that point so my ears had shut down at that point). The centre section was ~£116 +VAT.

Basically it looks like a need a whole new exhaust as the back box is not that new either. At something that's maybe approaching £1000 for a complete exhaust what options do I have in terms reasonable quality 3rd party options?

Does anyone have a recommended brand/supplier that can help me out?

I would consider as used front section if anyone has a good one. .

Cheers

Spike

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 16V DTI (Y22DTH) Estate New Exhaust Woes (aka How Much?!!)
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2015, 14:09:16 »

For the exhaust look for ETS on eBay, many of us run them including me. Should be less than £80 cat back for the exhaust. (Ie everything)

The cat itself, try posting an ad here for wanted part. Or again eBay for breakers.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2015, 07:54:41 »

Don't be fooled by the box roughly under the driver's seat, it's not the cat on a 2.2DTi, it's a resonator, although I haven't worked out yet what the frequency is that's it's supposed to dampen. Cat is attached to the back of the turbo. Run a straight pipe through, there's no discernible difference with the box deleted and it does marginally help spool up.
Upspec to 2 1/2" and the whole length is about £250 in stainless, cheaper obviously if you leave it a 2 1/4". Stainless centre box and back box are about £180 each, so a full stainless system from the cat back is about £600. Puts the alternatives into perspective a bit.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2015, 08:31:59 »

Box under the seat is a cat, its packed with a platinum coated mesh.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2015, 09:22:50 »

Not on mine is wasn't. Just full of wadding with a big hole in the top. Check the EPC for Y22DTH, you'll see the cat on the back of the turbo. Better still take off the heat shielding and you'll see it for yourself. To put the cat that far away from the turbo would result in increased inefficiency, as the gases would have cooled from optimum, so there's no logic to sticking it there either. GM got it right.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2015, 09:25:19 by ajsphead »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2015, 13:03:41 »

Well both of the DTI's I had had genuine GM front section exhausts on and the box straight after the down pipe was a cat with a platinum foil element in it.... these of course were removed by slicing the top off, gutting and welding it back on. The only wadding I saw was the heat / sound deadening sandwiched between the box and it's outer tin layer (which falls to bits after 10 years!)

I wonder if they changed the designs over time?

Well aware of the box after the turbo, just never got round to gutting that before I destroyed the VP44  ;D
« Last Edit: 07 July 2015, 13:06:02 by VXL V6 »

pernix

• Caerphilly
    • Omega 2.2 dti CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2015, 13:57:28 »

check out e-bay item no 261111236244 this is the one I bought last year good quality easy to fit. why wont your centre section undo from the front pipe? it should be a 2 bolt clamp.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2015, 14:23:18 »

Well both of the DTI's I had had genuine GM front section exhausts on and the box straight after the down pipe was a cat with a platinum foil element in it.... these of course were removed by slicing the top off, gutting and welding it back on. The only wadding I saw was the heat / sound deadening sandwiched between the box and it's outer tin layer (which falls to bits after 10 years!)

I wonder if they changed the designs over time?

Well aware of the box after the turbo, just never got round to gutting that before I destroyed the VP44  ;D
They might well have done. Here's a link that shows the 2.2 DTI cat of the type bolted onto the back of the turbo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-2-2-DTI-16V-DIESEL-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-24438228-/350226605085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item518b21e41d. It's also the one the matches the image in the EPC.

The OP can easily see whether it matches his car by undoing the E8 I think bolts off the heat shielding behind the turbo and having a look.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.