Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: complete coolent loss  (Read 2061 times)

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
complete coolent loss
« on: 06 June 2014, 08:43:07 »

Just got home and noticed  that my coolant  has dumped itself on the floor. It is running down  from just behind  the oil sump and a little further back on the underneath . I have tried to refill it  but even with the engine off  it is still  ending up on the floor. The HBV seems ok and dry to touch but should I be looking at the coolant bridge area , as I have read else where this could be where my problem is ????

One other quick thing, that I noticed was I had also left a trail of water from the direction that I had been driving .
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

05omegav6

Re: complete coolent loss
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2014, 08:48:08 »

Hose from the coolant bridge to hbv is also a likely candidate, given the location of the coolant...

A rad hose would spray coolant everywhere :-\

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2014, 09:01:21 »

Sorry,  I should have also said that  the  water was coming out as clean water from  the top up and could only fill up the expansion tank.  I will check the rad area too . Thanks Al :y
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2014, 09:59:26 »

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2014, 11:45:14 »

Daft question time ???  I have found the leak, and it seems to be coming from the gasket around the oil cooler plate. now do I repair as a oil cooler repair with all the gaskets and sealant or can I just replace the oil cooler one with sealant ??

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2014, 11:56:07 »

IIRC (having done this recently.. well, ok, having watched Chris do this recently!) the gaskets were superseded by Vauxhall Grey Goo(tm).  That's all we used on mine, anyway, and so far it's not dropped it's load.

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2014, 12:04:34 »

Thanks  Arron, Now lets hope AA Clarkes have some in stock. And just to confirm no other gaskets are needed /// gotta ask, as Im having one of those days  ;) ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 14:14:23 »

Besides the inlet manifold stuff to get down to it (which you can almost always get away without replacing), you might need the washers for the coolant bridge and the oil cooler pipes themselves depending what they look like if you have to remove them.

You might well be able to lift the plate enough to do it without taking everything off, but it'd probably stand a better chance of sealing if you pull the plate out completely, clean it all up and refit (so basically the whole oil cooler guide)..

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2014, 15:13:45 »

Have a look at the oil cooler guide, the parts might be listed there.

I'd say its unusual for the oil cooler plate to leak such a vast amount of water though. Is there a more major leak elsewhere?

powerslinky

« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2014, 18:46:25 »

Have a look at the oil cooler guide, the parts might be listed there.

I'd say its unusual for the oil cooler plate to leak such a vast amount of water though. Is there a more major leak elsewhere?

Agree with mr gixer on that one , seems a big leak for that.   Another fill & search for the leak again  would be my next move . Being such a major leak you  should be  able to narrow it down before stripping for the oil cooler plate removal . Check coolant bridge to HBV hose again  ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2014, 19:34:01 »

More likely bendy hose from coolant bridge to hbv as this is a main feed pipe - vey quick water loss, sprays it everywhere incl. into the V - usually goes by bottom clip ;)

Oil cooler plate usually a slower leak ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2014, 22:11:51 »

All sorted  and thanks chaps for the advice. It was the oil cooler plate that was the problem. It looks like the oil cooler has been changed before my ownership and not been done very well at all ( I know that's rich coming from me  ;D) The sealant was very sparse  and in a very poor state indeed...... hence the reason for the  very quick dumping of water.

Something  I also learnt  today was , that the engine needs to be running to cure this sealant  as I left it to cure by itself before filling the expansion tank. It started to dribble out again at the same points as this morning , but once a few chosen  words had been said , with the standard door slamming  of the drivers door, I started her up and after a very short time the dripping stopped under the car. Hence a now happy sky blue. Ta  again chaps :y :y :y :y

Mr.Blobby

« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2014, 23:33:21 »

Well done matey  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.