Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget, Remould or Part Worn tyres?  (Read 3924 times)

steve_daly

Re: Budget, Remould or Part Worn tyres?
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2010, 11:36:33 »

I have three Wanli's on mine and one Prestivo Sport and the road noise is terrible.

Certainly wont be looking at either of those makes when I come to renew my boots.

smithpa7

« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2010, 11:42:52 »

I have always used Michelin Primacy tyres and have been very impressed with them. Due to budget restraints I listened to my brother and I fitted Maxxis tyres on mine, 234/45 17's for £75 per corner. I am really impressed. Low noise, good grip in the wet or dry. After 5k miles they don't appear to have worn at all. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2010, 12:02:57 »

I have always used Michelin Primacy tyres and have been very impressed with them. Due to budget restraints I listened to my brother and I fitted Maxxis tyres on mine, 234/45 17's for £75 per corner. I am really impressed. Low noise, good grip in the wet or dry. After 5k miles they don't appear to have worn at all. :y
I think anything (bar the real ditchfinders) will be impressive compared to worn Michelin Primacys.

I'm really not a fan of the modern Michelins. Have the Pilot Sports on my Elite, fortunately, the wear rate due to poor grip should finish them off soon :y
Grumpy old man

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2010, 12:21:13 »

Many tyre places won't fit part worns.

Not sure part worns are cost effective anyway - you're paying 1/2 to 2/3rd of new price for often 1/3-1/2 of the remaining life (without knowing of any internal damage they have)

Part worns i get are more like 1/3 of new price for 1/2 to 2/3 tread left. Usually continental, michelin or dunlop. Never let me down.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2010, 12:22:22 by Liam »

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2010, 12:27:35 »

Here I get part worns for 1/5 of the price of new ones. I only tried them once and so far it was ok.
Would always put brand new premium but here they are extremly expensive (prices can reach as far as 180 pound per tyre for 225 16).
As for brand I had michelins and hancooks both on mig and are not satisfied with either of them.
My father has continentals on his skoda and they are quite good.
The best tyres I've tried were goodyear ones on my former Delta

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 06 August 2010, 12:35:56 »

i've just got a set of 235's for less than £135
Where/What/How?
Part worn?

Personally, I would fit top brand part worns over budget brands all day long, ESP having first hand experience of linglongs in the wet, impressive grip in the dry made the wet grip even more shockingly terribly appalling. Take a well known corner in the dry, next day it rains so knock off a reasonable level of speed to account fit it and whoosh your sliding across the road, and don't dare have to emergency stop in the wet.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 August 2010, 13:44:58 »

The only "Budget" brand I have found acceptable so far is Accellera Alpha's. I'm on my second complete set and they are pretty good... Only let go a couple of times and both were just after it had rained after a long dry period
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 06 August 2010, 14:06:22 »

Last time I had remoulds was in 1970 on my Austin A40 which did no more than 45mph! ::) ::) ::)

Would never fit them now on any car, and indeed would always opt for quality brand new tyres. 

An Omega (V6) is a 2 ton car that can be wound up to very high speeds and I would never risk my passengers, and third party, lives by false economy >:(.

To be honest if you cannot afford to put good tyres on an Omega then you should not own one! ::) ::)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 August 2010, 14:55:02 »

Lizzie if someone wants 160 to 180 pounds for a new tyre then I'm not prepaired to pay it.
I'd rather buy a part worn, and throw it away after couple of months and do it seven times cause part worn will cost around 25 pounds here.
I agree that I would be safer if new ones were bought, but after 1 or 1.5 years there would be no difference.
After two years I would be safer probably in a part worn tyre just bought cause they would probably be in a better condition than the ones bought new and used for 2 years on the mig.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #24 on: 06 August 2010, 15:34:23 »

Lizzie if someone wants 160 to 180 pounds for a new tyre then I'm not prepaired to pay it.
I'd rather buy a part worn, and throw it away after couple of months and do it seven times cause part worn will cost around 25 pounds here.
I agree that I would be safer if new ones were bought, but after 1 or 1.5 years there would be no difference.
After two years I would be safer probably in a part worn tyre just bought cause they would probably be in a better condition than the ones bought new and used for 2 years on the mig.

I am not talking of "£160-180" for a tyre ::)  Just £75 - £80 per tyre will give you quality and performance :D :D ;) ;)

Michael Bairstow

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 August 2010, 15:35:39 »

I've just had 4 new tyres fitted for £217.00 all in.
try Event Mobile Tyres they come to your house or work place very good service

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2010, 16:30:42 »

I am not talking of "£160-180" for a tyre ::)  Just £75 - £80 per tyre will give you quality and performance :D :D ;) ;)

I'm guessing tyres are a little more expensive in Croatia than the UK ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2010, 17:15:16 »

I'm guessing tyres are a little more expensive in Croatia than the UK ;)

Ahhhhh! :-[ :-[  Good point, I was thinking of course in UK terms, not of Eastern Europe! ::) ::) ::)  Tis a little different there I understand :D :D ;)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2010, 18:25:27 »

I was in the same situation, choices were budget new or part worn. In the end I went with a lower midrange tyre which received pretty good user reviews in all weather conditions.

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2010, 18:40:21 »

I only put new premium brand tyres (usually Pirelli) on my cars, but next time round, as I'm skint, I may have to look for an alternative.

Years ago, when I was much younger and skint, there used to be retreads and remoulds.  Remoulds were OK and cheaper than new.  Retreads had a poor reputation and were to be avoided.  And as far as I recall, it was illegal to sell part-worn tyres at all, which isn't to say that they weren't readily available. 
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.