Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget, Remould or Part Worn tyres?  (Read 3918 times)

feeutfo

Re: Budget, Remould or Part Worn tyres?
« Reply #30 on: 06 August 2010, 18:43:19 »

I am not talking of "£160-180" for a tyre ::)  Just £75 - £80 per tyre will give you quality and performance :D :D ;) ;)

I'm guessing tyres are a little more expensive in Croatia than the UK ;)

Ahhhhh! :-[ :-[  Good point, I was thinking of course in UK terms, not of Eastern Europe! ::) ::) ::)  Tis a little different there I understand :D :D ;)
pmsl
need some better shoes on that high hoarse MizzZoom, those cheapos arent stoppimg you quick enough are they.
 ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #31 on: 06 August 2010, 18:53:30 »

I am not talking of "£160-180" for a tyre ::)  Just £75 - £80 per tyre will give you quality and performance :D :D ;) ;)

I'm guessing tyres are a little more expensive in Croatia than the UK ;)

Ahhhhh! :-[ :-[  Good point, I was thinking of course in UK terms, not of Eastern Europe! ::) ::) ::)  Tis a little different there I understand :D :D ;)
pmsl
need some better shoes on that high hoarse MizzZoom, those cheapos arent stoppimg you quick enough are they.
 ;D

No Chris, I still hold with my views on good quality tyres for our beastie migs :D :D :D ;) ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 August 2010, 19:49:55 »

The only "Budget" brand I have found acceptable so far is Accellera Alpha's. I'm on my second complete set and they are pretty good... Only let go a couple of times and both were just after it had rained after a long dry period

They might be what I was quoted on yesterday.

£49.50 a wheel  225/55/16
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 August 2010, 01:06:20 »

Posted by: Lizzie Zoom Posted on: Yesterday at 14:06 To be honest if you cannot afford to put good tyres on an Omega then you should not own one!   
Bought the mig while I still had a job! 13 years Paramedic and now medical retirement because of disability... May have lost my career but don't want to lose the mig... so just looking for tips. Was never talking about comprimising safety, just staying safe whilst avoiding brand new premium tyres that are over my budget... Your comment is a bit like saying - you shouldn't own a house if you can't afford new roof tiles? nouveau riche
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 07 August 2010, 01:10:52 »

Posted by: Lizzie Zoom Posted on: Yesterday at 14:06 To be honest if you cannot afford to put good tyres on an Omega then you should not own one!   
Bought the mig while I still had a job! 13 years Paramedic and now medical retirement because of disability... May have lost my career but don't want to lose the mig... so just looking for tips. Was never talking about comprimising safety, just staying safe whilst avoiding brand new premium tyres that are over my budget... Your comment is a bit like saying - you shouldn't own a house if you can't afford new roof tiles? nouveau riche
Sadly miss Zoom has lost her helpful streak of late, hopefully she'll be fixed soon.  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 August 2010, 01:37:06 »

I'm now eager to know what spec tyres Lizzie has fitted to her elite & why it weighs 2 tonnes! My mig has V rated premium continentals all round, bought new. It's only that my MOT is due soon & my missus (copper) reckon's the shoulder wear is a bit near the mark  ;)
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 August 2010, 02:00:28 »

Going with gixer on this one - gonna buy premium part worns  8-) can't afford new premiums or mid range, won't risk remoulds, unsure about using budgets in the wet  :y thanks for all the info, I now know which budgets are ok-ish if I ever need 'em  ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #37 on: 07 August 2010, 02:03:23 »

I'm now eager to know what spec tyres Lizzie has fitted to her elite & why it weighs 2 tonnes! My mig has V rated premium continentals all round, bought new. It's only that my MOT is due soon & my missus (copper) reckon's the shoulder wear is a bit near the mark  ;)
That need setting correctly first, tell us more, inside or outside edge? How much tread left in the middle?

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 August 2010, 02:16:06 »

inside shoulder wear mostly on front tyres ?1.6mm (also the rear but not so bad) all four have about 4mm in the middle. Just had new front wishbones fitted but guess its more likely to be camber from reading previous posts...

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 07 August 2010, 02:26:14 »

inside shoulder wear mostly on front tyres ?1.6mm (also the rear but not so bad) all four have about 4mm in the middle. Just had new front wishbones fitted but guess its more likely to be camber from reading previous posts...
Ah good sounds like it's in hand.  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 August 2010, 02:33:07 »

cheers  ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 August 2010, 05:07:46 »

The only "Budget" brand I have found acceptable so far is Accellera Alpha's. I'm on my second complete set and they are pretty good... Only let go a couple of times and both were just after it had rained after a long dry period

They might be what I was quoted on yesterday.

£49.50 a wheel  225/55/16

Price sounds about right. As I said, these are acceptable to me as they're still grippy enough in all conditions except very greasy roads. Of course... They will let go if provoked but generally OK :y

Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #42 on: 07 August 2010, 10:35:29 »

Sadly miss Zoom has lost her helpful streak of late, hopefully she'll be fixed soon.  :y

????????????????? :-X :-X :-X :-X

So once again Chris I have stated my opinion, you do not like it, so you go on and make personal derogatory comments!

The title of this thread is "Budget, Remould or Part Worn tyres?"  I have made it clear that as far as I am concerned that is bad practice and with a high powered Omega, when fully loaded with passengers, fuel, etc, it requires good quality tyres (Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Avon, etc) fitted as new.

If you had seen the accidents I have due to tyre failure you would not argue.  With tyres you only have a small imprint connecting with the road; when wet, icy, or even in dry conditions, you need that tyre to be the best you can afford, as with your brakes!  To fit remoulds, part worn (no history) or even many budget tyres is in my opinion not good.

I personnaly have always put my money were my mouth is, and only last year I had a brand new Wanlee (£60) tyre fitted.  Within a week I scrapped it, and had all my tyres (inherited Wanlee's) replaced with Avon's (£396) after Cem
highlighted for me the very poor record of reliability of Wanlee's.

On this site we all express personal opinions in good faith, which are either accepted or not - fair enough -  but I repeat my earlier statements that there is some on the OOF who do not like that, then engage in personal insult. This we can all do without. 

I know members who have contacted me about this very problem and they feel that they cannot contribute due to a fear of what will be said to them! Enough! >:( >:( >:( >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 August 2010, 10:42:12 »

Many tyre places won't fit part worns.

Not sure part worns are cost effective anyway - you're paying 1/2 to 2/3rd of new price for often 1/3-1/2 of the remaining life (without knowing of any internal damage they have)

Part worns i get are more like 1/3 of new price for 1/2 to 2/3 tread left. Usually continental, michelin or dunlop. Never let me down.
So 7-8mm left?

9mm new
3mm knackered, need replacement

Do half worn by maths is 6mm.

However, the 1st mm seems to last and awful lot longer than the next, which lasts longer than the next. Not sure why this is, but certainly is the case for me...

So I'd be looking at 7mm being half worn
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 August 2010, 10:50:52 »

All members are entitled to their opinion, and Lizzie Zoom has stated hers, and we have all stated ours.

OK, maybe her wording of not being able to afford premiums and should lose the car may have come across as a bit elitist, I'm sure that was not the intention.

All tyres have their place (except remoulds!), though I probably wouldn't pay money for part worns (due to the unknowns). That said, I'm driving a car with tyres that were already on it, who knows what damage they have sustained. Fortunately, being Michelin, they probably will be chewed up soon :y

But any choice of tyre is a personal thing, to say anyone is unhelpful due to replying to a post on the subject stating their opinion is probably more unproductive.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.