Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blocking off EGR Valve...  (Read 4135 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Blocking off EGR Valve...
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2010, 12:46:41 »

for the 2.5 v6, power slightly drops when the egr is open.. and consumption on the average will drop 0.5 litre/100 km if you block it (from the road computer- if its correct) ...

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2010, 14:52:02 »

Tried and tested on a 2.5 V6 vectra with no problems in running or mot.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2010, 19:21:14 »

Based on all the feedback I'm going ahead with blanking the EGR, just can't see how re-burning exhaust gases can in any way benefit my CO reading... Just replaced the Air Filter & this seems pointless if filthy fumes are gioing to be mixed with nice clean air... I understand the reason it's there.. EU regs relating to NoX but not too worried about that ;) Update: new plugs, new air-filter, 475ml of Cataclean, reset ECU and one-shot of redex just for good measure.. all I need to do now is blast it down to the MOT station and hope for the best... if not, then back to the drawing board  :y
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2010, 19:23:14 »

Will blocking this off stop the additional clicking noise that you get when it is blowing I.e. I have black carbon marks where it is bolted in place and can hear s clicking noise coming from it!

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2010, 19:35:41 »

sorry i haven't got a clue  :-/ but reckon that one of the other members can help  :y
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2010, 19:54:09 »

Will blocking this off stop the additional clicking noise that you get when it is blowing I.e. I have black carbon marks where it is bolted in place and can hear s clicking noise coming from it!

don't know if it will stop the clicking but the fact that it has black carbon marks in indicates that it's leaking. I would get it off and clean it. You'll be surprised how much crud there is in there.

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2010, 20:54:29 »

sorry i haven't got a clue  :-/ but reckon that one of the other members can help  :y

That reminds me - you're not a million miles away from me, let me know if you want a hand with it.

Alldi

• Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2010, 23:03:56 »

I blocked mine off and it has always gone through the MOT emmissions test no problem, it can't be that important as Vauxhall scrapped it for the 2.6 and 3.2 engines and in an article in Professional Motor Mechanic Oct 2002, they recommend it's blanked off. I just cut a gasket out of an old metal biscuit tin lid.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2010, 23:53:13 »

turns out there is a GM part number for the blanking plate to fit Astra MK4, Signum, Vectra C, Zafira (Z22SE engines) GM Part Number: 24575592 So does that mean you can "Officially" blank your egr for an MOT, I mean actually lose the egr all-together and blank it off! or is there some bone-head section in the MOT hand book to prevent such activities  :D

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2010, 00:26:39 »

There are blanking kits around or you can make one up urself. The egr isnt a part of the test, just emissions.

one point worth mentioning though is if u do do it, keep the plug connected otherwise u will get the engine management light on.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2010, 00:30:18 »

thanks johny5  :y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2010, 01:00:04 »

A hypothetical question.   If one blanks off the EGR  valve, then a modification has been made to the car.
Should the insurance company be notified ???

It could be a get out for them if you have a claim.  :-/

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2010, 01:45:58 »

Kneepad is that pic of you?? you look quite intimidating  :o I'll have watch what I say to you  ;) anyway re: the insurance question I think it could be a grey area if you're using a GM part made for that vehicle? whereas coke can etc. would definately be used by insurers to try and wriggle out of paying up  >:(

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2010, 01:58:22 »

Yup I'm afraid that's me. Nothing to be intimidated by. I'm just not photogenic.

I worry about insurance companies. They like to take the premiums but that's it.

I am in two minds about the mod. Today I took my egr valve off with the intentions of blanking it but I finished up giving it a good clean and putting it back on the way it was.

;D ;D ;D

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2010, 02:23:52 »

Spot on, they just want the premiums  >:( will pm you with details for a laser cut blanking plate that can be used with EGR in situ... even the most experienced assessor wouldn't pick up on it... trust me I know one  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.