Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Emissions FAIL - Help!  (Read 5201 times)

markfree

Re: MOT Emissions FAIL - Help!
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2010, 21:09:22 »

My car passed the emmissions with one of the center exhausts snapped but failed because there was too much escape of the exhaust gases as well as other stuff. Just been stung for 450 notes.  :'(

Yes mine passed the emissions test even tho' the back box was blowing a wee bit.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2010, 01:12:32 »

3.2 CHARLIE Posted Yesterday at 01:40 
Scrap-time !!! Sorry !!
Road Hog Mad Posted Yesterday at 15:10
Maybe its just time for car heaven.

How many miles has it done?

Surely engines conk out at some point despite being well maintained.
yeah right  :P

road hog mad 107k & btw the engine hasn't conked out. It's in better condition than many '02-'03 mig's... (ask Razzo) ;)

Marks DTM thanks for your reply, the engine temp sits between 92.5 & 97.5c (fans kick in at 98c) but occasionally rises to 100c in heavy traffic, give it a few revs & it drops back down - will paperclip it tomorrow for codes  :y
« Last Edit: 20 August 2010, 02:24:35 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2010, 02:18:30 »

[size=16]3.2 CHARLIE[/size]
Talking of scrap... Just read the replies to the advert for your mig http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1282179766
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2010, 02:48:41 »

On the other hand, being an optimist, it's possible they were all phantom faults and were created just to get his posts up to the minimum required to sell what might be a perfectly good car.
Why sell it so soon after buying it?

Quick profit.   :-/

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2010, 02:58:47 »

Sorry that last post was off topic.
 Not a good idea to go for MOT with a leaky exhaust, that would be my priority if I was you.

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 August 2010, 10:01:25 »

On the other hand, being an optimist, it's possible they were all phantom faults and were created just to get his posts up to the minimum required to sell what might be a perfectly good car.
Why sell it so soon after buying it?

Quick profit.   :-/

That would take ages lol.

I have a donor car a 2.5 V6 CDX and put an advert in the bits for sale section to which it got removed.

I was only asking for pocket change to fill my pot up for a friend so he could get a new car as this one blew up.

£800 in pot and the target was £1K.

The majority of the car is still left and next week it gets towed away, I even suggested that someone who could, should take off bits and help other forum members with them or maybe even sell them and put the money towards OOF upkeep.

You can't get any better than that, but it was deleted because I am not at the correct post count which seems silly when trying to help others.

The offer is still there (if this isn't deleted) for you to go up and take anything off my friends car for free.

I doubt you'd make a quick profit on an Omega unless you paid £100 for an Elite. Everyone who has got one takes a hit!  :'(
« Last Edit: 20 August 2010, 10:03:10 by pjwright »

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2010, 19:54:03 »

well p*s*ed off  >:( had centre exhaust leak repaired, new air filter, got car nice & warm... but failed retest on CO. Lamda & HC are now fine but CO still high... Is there anything else I can do to stop it running rich? Asked halfords about cataclean additive, they laughed and said they'd never heard of it  :-/ please help  :o

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 August 2010, 20:08:11 »

Have a look here 24 :y

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__cataclean_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=129817544469&crlp=28432201_228459_228460&UA=%3F*I8&GUID=aaa6605812a0a0e2042291c2fffefa3a&keyword=cataclean&MT_ID=504&ff4=228459_228460

markfree

« Reply #23 on: 25 August 2010, 20:11:27 »

well p*s*ed off  >:( had centre exhaust leak repaired, new air filter, got car nice & warm... but failed retest on CO. Lamda & HC are now fine but CO still high... Is there anything else I can do to stop it running rich? Asked halfords about cataclean additive, they laughed and said they'd never heard of it  :-/ please help  :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320541991156&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bugger - zulu beat me to it :y
« Last Edit: 25 August 2010, 20:12:36 by markfree »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2010, 20:12:56 »

Sounds like the mixture is now OK but the cat is not working. Could have been killed by the poor mixture, I suppose.

Cataclean might be worth a try, but you might have more luck from a proper motor factors rather than a purveyor of blue LEDs. ;)

To be honest, some report that it works, others say it makes no odds. Might be worth a try. As would a nice long, fast motorway cruise before the next test.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 August 2010, 20:14:05 »

Hang on, though. If the leak was in the centre section it won't have affected the Lambdas. Can you post the figures from the second emissions test?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2010, 01:32:08 »

thanks MF & Zulu77 picked some up from Unipart... £15 ish... KW when the MOT station re-tested the car they just returned the original VT30 (fail notice) to me with "CO still too high" noted by hand next to printed failure item. Didn't get the emissions print off for the retest. The guy just suggested redex and a long motorway run... said I might need a new CAT if still doesn't improve. He said CO was twice what it should be... so guessing it should be approx 0.25 then probably about 0.5 again  :-/ I will replace CAT as last resort but added cataclean for now & hoping there will be some improvement. also going to reset ECU  :y
« Last Edit: 28 August 2010, 01:32:51 by silvercross1 »

Ploppy

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 August 2010, 04:52:16 »

Cataclean worked for me !!!

Brilliant stuff... you may need a couple of bottles ...

Ploppy :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2010, 00:52:46 »

Put her in today for third MOT emissions test in as many weeks...
Still failed on CO!!!! really p*ss*d off now  >:( The whole car is in perfect condition, no other fail items, no codes... new air filter and used a tin of cataclean before this retest...

Latest data:

Natural Idle test:

CO = 0.311 pass (limit=0.500)

Second fast Idle test:

CO = 0.476 fail (limit=0.300)
HC = 104 pass (limit=200ppm)
LAMBDA = 1.025 pass (limit=1.030)

So now I'm thinking... faulty spark plug? how would I know which one? or b*gger*d CAT? how would I know which one?

Can't really use the car 'til it's sorted (swmbo is plod & not a happy bunny!) so I'm down sh*t creek without a paddle  :(

Can't affort to just replace both CAT's but need to drop the CO  :question I seriously need some advice from a technical OOF'y  :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2010, 09:52:35 »

If you look, the Lambda value is now inside the limits but only just. It's still running a little lean, which might well be why the cat is not working properly.

Can't remember - have we checked for engine ECU fault codes yet?

If the plugs haven't been changed recently might as well chuck a new set in anyway. If one has failed the others won't be far behind it.

I'm more inclined to suspect the mixture is wrong for some reason, assuming there's no noticeable misfire. MAF faulty and fuel trims at their limits? Engine not fully warming up? Lambda sensor failed or heater failed meaning it doesn't wake up during the fast idle test? Air leak into induction system?

A bit of diagnosis to do before changing cats, IMHO.

Kevin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.