Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Emissions FAIL - Help!  (Read 5210 times)

aaronjb

Re: MOT Emissions FAIL - Help!
« Reply #30 on: 02 September 2010, 10:03:51 »

Indeed - getting the live data out of the ECU would probably be a big bonus at this point in time (especially if the Tech2 can display the live lambda sensor outputs, Kevin?)

Of course with an expired test, it's now quite hard to get the car to somewhere with a Tech2, I imagine! :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 September 2010, 10:35:27 »

Indeed - getting the live data out of the ECU would probably be a big bonus at this point in time (especially if the Tech2 can display the live lambda sensor outputs, Kevin?)

Of course with an expired test, it's now quite hard to get the car to somewhere with a Tech2, I imagine! :(

Yes, indeed. You can see the Lambda sensor outputs, MAF output, fuel trim, temperatures, etc. so it would be good to see the live data. Even the engine codes, if any are present, might indicate something such as a fuel trim out of range or a lazy Lambda.

Most MOT garages probably have a reader that can do similar. If only they could interpret what they are being told. Instead, they'll replace the cats, the new ones will probably work for the test but, in time, will get saturated due to the underlying mixture problem and guess what happens next MOT?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 02 September 2010, 12:59:21 »

Incidentally I have a Gendan OBD-II laptop based reader that can pull live data off the OBD port; 24_Valve is welcome to borrow it (I'll even post it over - it's useless to me anyhow at the moment as the MR2 has aftermarket standalone engine management with no OBD support) .. but I don't know if it'll work on an Omega - Kevin, do you know?

Can't test it on mine because I know it won't work on a very early Diesel ;) But I don't know about the V6s.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 September 2010, 13:15:38 »

Thanks KW, point by point this is what I do & don't know respectively: ECU code 12 only (all clear) but paperclip test only, not full garage diagnostic run... Plugs all changed last 6 months, by me cos don't trust any garage to replace the difficult 246 bank. But don't know if any were faulty when purchased? No obvious misfire but what might be an intermittent misfire? i.e. occassionly there's there's what I can only describe as a jump 1-2 seconds apart when cold start or idling in traffic. MAF is good afaik. No air leaks into induction, spent a day checking ducting & every connection... Lamda heater, no way I can tell but not throwing up a fault code.. hope that might narrow things down  :)
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 September 2010, 13:31:12 »

Thanks aaronjb I'll wait to see if KW reckons it'll work on my V6 (my socket is OBD-II me thinks) and might pm you to see if possible to borrow  :y p.s. very kind offer  :)
« Last Edit: 02 September 2010, 13:34:58 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 September 2010, 14:04:26 »

Unfortunately, only 2.2/2.6/3.2 Omegas are OBDII compliant so I don't believe it'll work on earlier models. :-/

Plugs sound fine, then. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 September 2010, 14:28:05 »

Q. if i've done something so foolish as replacing an HT lead on the wrong plug (didn't mark them first) is there any way I'd know? if so, without a full strip down is it possible to check that all leads are in the right order, i.e. would wrong order generate a code? thanks, steve

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 September 2010, 14:44:07 »

You'd have a serious misfire and a huge lack of power with HT leads swapped.

Kevin

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 September 2010, 15:32:20 »

thanks  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 02 September 2010, 16:16:05 »

Unfortunately, only 2.2/2.6/3.2 Omegas are OBDII compliant so I don't believe it'll work on earlier modes

Ahh that's a shame :( Ah well.. the offer is open to anyone else, naturally :)

You'd have a serious misfire and a huge lack of power with HT leads swapped.

I once made that mistake on a 1976 Allegro and got the firing order wrong.. nearly soiled myself when it started backfiring!  :o

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 September 2010, 17:46:44 »

Are there any OOF'ers that have a tech1 near'ish south east london?? Had a look at TB's Tech2 page and they are all long distance from me  :( My mig is 1996 so I'm guessing a Tech1 in capable hands might be helpfull... willing to pay £ of course  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 September 2010, 02:18:40 »

took the mig to local garage to see if there is any sort of misfire (don't really know if I'd spot it) The mechanic had a good listen at the same time pushing down the throttle until my rev counter was showing 6.5 k  :o Thought he might kill her but said the engine sounds perfect  :) went on to say throw in a new set of plugs anyway... (KW on the button again) but shouted out, as he walked off... "don't buy bosch, they're sh*t!"... "make sure you get NGK!" Is this true? if so am I right in thinking the equivalent p/n for NGK plugs is BKR5EK.  The bosch p/n in haynes for pre-facelift is FLR 8 LD+U... all models? any ideas  :y

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 September 2010, 13:31:34 »

Hi Steve got an Opel scanner here if you need readings or live data, not as good as tech 2 but still capable

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 September 2010, 01:05:59 »

Thanks Razzo, you're a life saver  :) will pm you to discuss :y
« Last Edit: 05 September 2010, 01:06:42 by silvercross1 »

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 September 2010, 23:25:59 »

Posted by Kevin Wood on 02. Sep 2010 at 10:35
Yes, indeed. You can see the Lambda sensor outputs, MAF output, fuel trim, temperatures, etc. so it would be good to see the live data. Even the engine codes, if any are present, might indicate something such as a fuel trim out of range or a lazy Lambda.
took the mig to razzo & hooked it up to the Opel scanner... Live data showed all of the above with the following outcome: Live data showed lamda readings (both sides) within limits but at the lower end of the spectrum. Live data also showed overall mixture as Lean. Everything else was absolutely spot on! Can't re-write to the ECU with this scanner but read out seems to show everything (very impressed) :y

Unfortunately following the scan the mig again failed on CO & Lamda, eventhough lamda was ok on last attempt.

Question is; replace O2 sensors or both Cat's  :question

CO 0.48
Lambda 1.04
HC 128

thanks, steve
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.