Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD Elite Auto. Performance Chip?  (Read 3186 times)

2000elite

• View Profile
2.5 TD Elite Auto. Performance Chip?
« on: 15 September 2011, 16:29:50 »

Hi,  Been reading the forum for a few weeks now and got some good stuff so far.  My question is:- which is the best way to improve the performance of the BMW 2.5 TD engine? and what sort of cost should i be looking at.  it's a 2000 facelift model car so i'm hoping the Auto box will cope with any power increase.  I hand this over to the subject matter experts!

Thanks in advance. :P

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 TD Elite Auto. Performance Chip?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2011, 16:32:12 »

facelift or not makes no difference its still same autobox ;)

Yes you can chip it, but it will turn your gearbox to cheese within a matter of hours.

You need to drop the stronger AR35 (fitted to 3.0 & 3.2's)  if you want to chip it back to full BMW spec  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2011, 21:07:27 »

Gearbox will likely melt soon after.  Omegatoy managed 90 miles before he knackered his, I faired slightly better in that I managed a couple of thousand before killing mine, and the next lasted about the same.  The AR35 lasted until I sold the car.

You need AR35.

I can give you a contact who charges £70 delivered for a tried and tested chip
Grumpy old man

prj

• Estonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2011, 03:19:37 »

Pretty easy to make own chip with this ancient ECU :)
I'll post up what and how once I'm done with mine, I am never going to make any money tuning these anyway.

But yeah, you need a stronger box first.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 03:20:23 by prj »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2011, 07:26:10 »

Pretty easy to make own chip with this ancient ECU :)
I'll post up what and how once I'm done with mine, I am never going to make any money tuning these anyway.

But yeah, you need a stronger box first.

Hmm sounds good, if it works well then may be interested in trying one of yours!!! mine is way to smoky off boost!!! also has the dreaded stutter at 1500 rpm, auto box usually masks this or appears to!! keep us informed!! :y

prj

• Estonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2011, 10:55:08 »

Well, comparing to 325TDS, the only difference is lower torque limiter and I think also a bit less boost.
So it makes 10hp less.

How is your car setup right now?
The boost control on these is just mechanical spring based, did you install a boost controller of some sort?

I am thinking of increasing the torque limiter and adding boost...
If your car smokes a lot, then probably just the pump voltage has been raised... or "fastfood chiptuning" with just "all maps up" :)

I usually map turbo petrol for custom builds upto 700 bhp. This diesel stuff is new to me, but seems really easy.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 10:57:01 by prj »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2011, 21:40:20 »

Well, comparing to 325TDS, the only difference is lower torque limiter and I think also a bit less boost.
So it makes 10hp less.

How is your car setup right now?
The boost control on these is just mechanical spring based, did you install a boost controller of some sort?

I am thinking of increasing the torque limiter and adding boost...
If your car smokes a lot, then probably just the pump voltage has been raised... or "fastfood chiptuning" with just "all maps up" :)

I usually map turbo petrol for custom builds upto 700 bhp. This diesel stuff is new to me, but seems really easy.

cool, mine is chipped from a friend, full fat bmw plus, its only smoky off boost, older one with same chip didnt smoke at all, but im guessing the pump is chucking in to much fuel in an effort to spool the turbo up quicker to produce more power,really must check it for boost leak as well as it doesnt start boosting till 15/1600 rpm older one started at 1300,
good luck with mapping it, if you map petrol engines diesel should be a breeze just watch the EGT,s if they go to high say goodbye to the engine!!

prj

• Estonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2011, 23:32:14 »

cool, mine is chipped from a friend, full fat bmw plus, its only smoky off boost, older one with same chip didnt smoke at all, but im guessing the pump is chucking in to much fuel in an effort to spool the turbo up quicker to produce more power,really must check it for boost leak as well as it doesnt start boosting till 15/1600 rpm older one started at 1300,
good luck with mapping it, if you map petrol engines diesel should be a breeze just watch the EGT,s if they go to high say goodbye to the engine!!
Well, if you want to make as much power as possible you'll get lots of smoke, but let's stick to some sane levels here.

There are three reasons your car will smoke:
a) The smoke limiter is set too high
b) The pump voltage map is altered and the smoke limiter is not re-tuned
c) Your MAF reading is incorrect. This can be either due to faulty maf or due to boost leak.

I have all equipment to measure EGT, AFR's etc.
It's a huge lot easier to blow up a turbocharged petrol engine at high power output than one of these, trust me :)

However, if you want to make power with this car, the boost needs to be increased. Just increasing smoke limiter or pump voltage will make it smoke.

I'll fit a MBC and plug two emulators into my ECU as soon as my AR35 is fitted.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2011, 07:49:03 »

Well, if you want to make as much power as possible you'll get lots of smoke, but let's stick to some sane levels here.

There are three reasons your car will smoke:
a) The smoke limiter is set too high
b) The pump voltage map is altered and the smoke limiter is not re-tuned
c) Your MAF reading is incorrect. This can be either due to faulty maf or due to boost leak.

I have all equipment to measure EGT, AFR's etc.
It's a huge lot easier to blow up a turbocharged petrol engine at high power output than one of these, trust me :)

However, if you want to make power with this car, the boost needs to be increased. Just increasing smoke limiter or pump voltage will make it smoke.

I'll fit a MBC and plug two emulators into my ECU as soon as my AR35 is fitted.

yep option B above sounds like it to me,current one boosts at 2 to 2.2 bar depending on how its driven then the wastegate catches up, old one boosted to 2.4bar and was fine,bloke who bouight it ran a jag and was astounded at how it produced its power for a diesel and retained its smoothness,he didnt drive it more than 3 miles before saying he wanted it,
sounds like you know what your doing there so will await reports on your progress, now im fairly certain somehwere in amongst all my junk here i have a 427 chip, ;Dwhich is the same as mine if i can find it,(assuming i didnt leave the chip carrier box in the old one) i can stick it in the post to you? no promises on finding it though!! but will have a root around the hundred or so boxes i have in the shed!! :y,

prj

• Estonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2011, 16:11:48 »

No real need for the chip, I have it figured out.
Just waiting for the gearbox to arrive :)

I don't think your car boosts 2.2 bar though. 2.2 could be absolute pressure, so 1.2 bar boost.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 16:12:37 by prj »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2011, 19:48:02 »

No real need for the chip, I have it figured out.
Just waiting for the gearbox to arrive :)

I don't think your car boosts 2.2 bar though. 2.2 could be absolute pressure, so 1.2 bar boost.

lol sorry yep 1.2 true as we have one bar of atmospheric, but thats how the tech1 reads it!! hope the gearbox arrives soon :y

prj

• Estonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2012, 01:12:04 »

Fitted AR35 to the car.
Also opened up the ECU, neither of the chips were socketed, so I desoldered the lower software number one (I had 1 035 355 974/975) and fitted a socket instead.
Looked at the binary and found the main maps.

The torque limiter was capped at 43 mg/stroke. Upped it to 51 mg/stroke (max) from 2000 to 4400 rpm, also re-tuned the smoke limiter to inject more sooner.
Car spins the rear wheels now at WOT in 1st. :)

More power could be achieved by upping the quantity adjuster map in the 2nd EPROM, but for me this is enough. As my fast car I have the Audi RS4 ;)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2012, 11:54:07 »

Fitted AR35 to the car.
Also opened up the ECU, neither of the chips were socketed, so I desoldered the lower software number one (I had 1 035 355 974/975) and fitted a socket instead.

The torque limiter was capped at 43 mg/stroke. Upped it to 51 mg/stroke (max) from 2000 to 4400 rpm, also re-tuned the smoke limiter to inject more sooner.

More power could be achieved by upping the quantity adjuster map in the 2nd EPROM, but for me this is enough. As my fast car I have the Audi RS4 ;)

Sounds fun lol I miss my derv!!
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2012, 13:08:25 »

Fitted AR35 to the car.

:D

My 2.5TD auto used to light up the rears from a standing start in the dry. I have to try hard to get the 3.0l V6 auto to do that ;D
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2012, 17:44:08 »

I too would be interested in a proper 2.5TD friendly chip. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.