Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Booster Pack  (Read 7959 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Booster Pack
« on: 31 July 2017, 23:31:34 »

Considering buying one.

Any recomendations?

What spec should I be aiming for.

Any to avoid?

TIA :y

Forgot to add it needs to be the portable battery pack type. :-[
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 23:33:22 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Booster Pack
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2017, 01:03:32 »

All I can say is forget this type, they come in different various models and come in Yellow, Red, Blue, Black under different  names, brands.

Ive had about 20 over the last 20 years, probably most were replaced under warranty, they last about 2 months, or 5 Jumps before the internal battery gives up the ghost and goes into retard mode.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2017, 18:39:39 »

If you need one because your battery is frequently going flat, fix the cause, not the symptom.

Other than that, you don't need one. And as Zirk says, they are all universally shite when it comes to durability.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2017, 19:54:57 »

Hmmm, got one from Halfords on TC about 5 years ago, still going strong, very useful when SWMBO leaves her car with the lights on! Plus helping out neighbours. I just top up the charge every 2 months or so. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2017, 19:59:42 »

Mine is about 3yrs old, and has been used and abused.  Its an American make that currently escapes me.

I think its lasted well due to the way its treated - its kept in the house, and charged with every use.

I'll be honest, I rarely use it for jumping cars now, but use as a high power 12v source, and the built in tyre inflator.  It won't start a flat battery, only a low-ish one.  I would always try a trickle charge on a flat battery, or jump start from another car if needed running quickly.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2017, 22:09:06 »

What about the power pack type ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-Micro-Multifunction-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Start-Power-Pack-CLIPPJS-Ref-/371862433765?hash=item5694ba6fe5:g:KYYAAOSwOgdYnIug
I think I just like the idea of them ..... there's almost always a car around if another needs a jump start.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2017, 22:15:07 »

What about the power pack type ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jump-Start-Micro-Multifunction-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Start-Power-Pack-CLIPPJS-Ref-/371862433765?hash=item5694ba6fe5:g:KYYAAOSwOgdYnIug
I think I just like the idea of them ..... there's almost always a car around if another needs a jump start.
Do they actually work though, cant quiet get my head around a little pack that fits in your pocket will start a totally flat V6 or Diesel. :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2017, 22:28:12 »

Do they actually work though, cant quiet get my head around a little pack that fits in your pocket will start a totally flat V6 or Diesel. :-\

Yes, if it will start within the first few turns. If, for whatever reason, you need to crank the engine more than that they won't be up to the job. Lithium batteries tend to stay charged for longer periods, so there's a reasonable chance of it still having some power when you need it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2017, 23:03:02 »

Yes, if it will start within the first few turns. If, for whatever reason, you need to crank the engine more than that they won't be up to the job. Lithium batteries tend to stay charged for longer periods, so there's a reasonable chance of it still having some power when you need it.

And has the facility to charge your phone too  :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2017, 23:03:42 »

There are some cheap and nasty battery packs out there; the capacity varies considerably, some have fancy work lights which I think are unnecessary, but not all have a cigarette lighter type of plug in power socket which is useful (especially if you are a camper or caravaner for charging portable devices) and I think it's definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Looking after the battery is important - charging it regularly after use, and not leaving it for long periods without use or a charge. It's a bit like the battery on a cordless drill - neglect it and it will fail relatively quickly.
I have had an SIP battery pack now for several years which is quite compact, and it's been useful and reliable.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 23:07:18 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2017, 23:04:26 »

If you need one because your battery is frequently going flat, fix the cause, not the symptom.

Other than that, you don't need one. And as Zirk says, they are all universally shite when it comes to durability.

I would totally agree with you there but sadly the lack of use with the car is the problem, Due to illness the car hasnt turned a wheel since the 2nd of June so has sat idle for 8 weeks. :-\

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2017, 23:12:41 »

They look interesting, clicked on the link and there was an add for a similar one for half the money, Think I need to look into them more but I do like the look of them.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2017, 23:39:20 »

wow some of those prices are extortionate.  shop around you should be able to get a basic one for £15 delivered from china.

i have 2, last one was £14, "1500mah".  First was £36 and is a little larger and came with a zipped bag and lots of extras.  that one claims to be 16800mah, not sure about that but i tried the ultimate test - disconnect the mig battery entirely and try and start just on the lithium one.    it works.  so it won't spin your engine for ever but if your only problem is the battery, even if the battery is totally flat, it will start you car.

here is the second one i bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232277190721

first one i bought looks identical to this one (green and black) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122423663043

beware sellers with less than 50 sales.

« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 23:45:25 by migmog »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2017, 10:22:30 »

I would totally agree with you there but sadly the lack of use with the car is the problem, Due to illness the car hasnt turned a wheel since the 2nd of June so has sat idle for 8 weeks. :-\

Some means to get the car on a battery conditioner when unused, or even a solar panel on the dashboard facing South would be better than relying on a booster to start it, IMHO. Failing that, disconnect the battery when idle (making sure the lock cylinder isn't seized!).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2017, 13:40:11 »

Solar panel on the dash board seems a good idea, do they have to be hard wired into the car or can they just be plugged in to cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2017, 13:44:09 »

..... cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)

yes  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2017, 15:15:40 »

Solar panel on the dash board seems a good idea, do they have to be hard wired into the car or can they just be plugged in to cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)

Mine connects via the OBD socket. :y

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2017, 16:58:47 »

I had a good booster pack (3000 something or other) till swmbo rested it on the rocker cover of the astra and started the engine, it just dropped to the floor, broken panel cover both croc clips smashed
But as with the 6 million dollar man I rebuilt it and its still going.

Be careful with the solar panal on the dash, some berk took my dads one he left on the passenger seat and left my dad with a borked window and the cig lighter charger still in place
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2017, 17:26:40 »

Mine connects via the OBD socket. :y

Yep, that's a convenient unswitched live to connect to. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2017, 19:33:11 »

You need to either get a trickle charger semi-permanently on it, or disconnect it.  Regularly letting it go flat will properly shag it remarkably quickly.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2017, 01:29:27 »

Omegas will shag the Battery if the car is left parked up, especially the Elites, if I park one one for a while I always diss the Neg of the Battery and put some plastic or cardboard between the Batt terminal and the Lead just in case, a good charged battery will last almost for ever under that scenario, as said, just make sure the Key entry works.  ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2017, 10:12:23 »

Sadly I am not in a possition (Health) to spend any time under the bonnet and cant due to the car being on the street run a trickle charger to it.

I have considered fitting a CTek charger plug in the car for connecting the CTek to it if there is ever a chance to charge it, this could also adapt to add a solar panel charger. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2017, 10:19:56 »

Provided that you are only running a low voltage cable (12 volt) from your trickle charger and ensure that there isn't a trip hazard for pedestrians - like one of those flattish rubber cable covers you see in public places - you ought not fall foul of the law. Best to paint it in high visibility paint, maybe?

Ron.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2017, 10:21:19 »

Over the years I have had the AA out to start various Omegas and allways get told the battery is shagged, this one is three years old (Bosch) and with the AA paper work I should be able to claim a new battery under its gauratee.

I agree it doesnt help the life of the battery with the length of time it some times goes between use, but when it is jump started and used at least once a month the battery has never let me down which contrdicts what the AA constantly tell me.  Plus I have seen the TV documentary about the recdovery services ripping members off and know for a fact its bulls**t.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2017, 10:41:26 »

In another thread (regarding leisure battery charging) I suggested checking the capacity of the battery. In brief, it entails fully charging the battery and then discharging it via a known load (I suggest an H4 headlamp bulb - 5 amp load, or two in parallel to draw 10 amps - and time it to about 90%l discharge (i.e. nearly empty).
Multiply the discharge current by the time taken in hours to discharge and you will have the ACTUAL capacity of the battery, which shoukd come somewhere near the figure on the battery's label!
If it's less that, say, 70% of specification, get your wallet out for a new one.  :'(

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 August 2017, 12:17:35 »

Over the years I have had the AA out to start various Omegas and allways get told the battery is shagged, this one is three years old (Bosch) and with the AA paper work I should be able to claim a new battery under its gauratee.

I agree it doesnt help the life of the battery with the length of time it some times goes between use, but when it is jump started and used at least once a month the battery has never let me down which contrdicts what the AA constantly tell me.  Plus I have seen the TV documentary about the recdovery services ripping members off and know for a fact its bulls**t.

Fairly standard procedure for the AA or RAC to inform the Battery is stuffed and you need a new one, they get there magic batter tester meter out, test a flat battery or one thats just been jumped and....  "Na, need a new one". When was the last time you heard a Breakdown Man say, "I'll put on slow charge overnight and come back in the morning and test it again".

I reckon Car Batteries are probably the most miss diagnosed part that gets replaced for a car, dont get my wrong they do deteriorate and sometimes just die but I'd hate to think how many perfectly good Flat Batteries end up in the Battery Container Skip, or worst still get fully charged and resold through the Breakdown Mans eBay account.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 August 2017, 17:16:32 »

I reckon Car Batteries are probably the most miss diagnosed part that gets replaced for a car, dont get my wrong they do deteriorate and sometimes just die but I'd hate to think how many perfectly good Flat Batteries end up in the Battery Container Skip, or worst still get fully charged and resold through the Breakdown Mans eBay account.
If one is left at low charge for any period, its usually not possible to get it back to anywhere near its pre-discharge capacity.  Most battery technologies exhibit this to some extent, but Lead Acid types are particularly bad.

That's not, of course, to say the battery won't be serviceable for a little bit longer.

Repeatedly doing it, or leaving it flat for extended periods (days), will severely reduce it capacity.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 August 2017, 23:36:27 »

As I have outlined in a previous thread, it is possible to recover from this low-capacity state due to being left discharged - IF it'snot a sealed or gel battery.. Messy procedure, involving emptying the acid out (and saving it), replacing it with distilled/demineralised water and repeat charge-discharge cycles several times. I suspect it ain't worf the effort, though!

Ron.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2017, 10:12:36 »

Not a cheap option, but we use these on a "commercial" basis, ie: just about every other car here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-GB70-Boost-Pack-Jump-Starter-Peugeot-Geopolis-250-ie-Executive-ABS-2009-/272552361424?epid=1256503503&hash=item3f7562fdd0:g:SRUAAOSwtfhYnZV-

very small, quick to charge, and can start just about anything from a large diesel to a V12 Jag

Well worth the investment    :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 August 2017, 17:21:57 »

As I have outlined in a previous thread, it is possible to recover from this low-capacity state due to being left discharged - IF it'snot a sealed or gel battery.. Messy procedure, involving emptying the acid out (and saving it), replacing it with distilled/demineralised water and repeat charge-discharge cycles several times. I suspect it ain't worf the effort, though!

Ron.
And repairing the plates? How?

;)
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 August 2017, 17:44:00 »

Nothing can replace active material shed from the plates and landing at the bottom of the battery's casing (and therefore likely to short the plated out too, TB, you are perfectly correcct; that technique is more to deal with reduced capacity due to sulphation, which can occur due to neglect and/or being left in a discharged state often.

Ron.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 August 2017, 15:45:51 »

wow some of those prices are extortionate.  shop around you should be able to get a basic one for £15 delivered from china.

i have 2, last one was £14, "1500mah".  First was £36 and is a little larger and came with a zipped bag and lots of extras.  that one claims to be 16800mah, not sure about that but i tried the ultimate test - disconnect the mig battery entirely and try and start just on the lithium one.    it works.  so it won't spin your engine for ever but if your only problem is the battery, even if the battery is totally flat, it will start you car.

first one i bought looks identical to this one (green and black) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122423663043

I accidentally drained my old "16,800mah" one  last week and took it apart today to try and revive it.  turns out it is, under the case and with the wrapper removed, 3 x 3.7V 4amp batteries so actually only 4,000mah.    Still it has twice started my 2.6 on its own with the car battery removed. 

I've ordered a replacement "50,800mah" one in case I can't revive the one cell that has switched off. 

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 August 2017, 16:07:09 »

Still it has twice started my 2.6 on its own with the car battery removed. 
[/quote]

I was once told by an auto electrical that you should NEVER start a car with either a jump / booster pack or jump leads from another vehicle connected directly to the leads of the recipitant car without an actual battery connected. Even if the battery on the recipitant car is totally flat or knackered, you should still leave it in situ, and connect to either the terminals or preferably any built in terminals / earth point. Maybe the more knowledgable auto electrikery experts can expand on the reasoning behind this a bit more?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 August 2017, 16:31:19 »

if you remove the battery and connect another car battery via jump leads all you have is a car with a battery wired in but with longer connections.

a booster pack is slightly different in that the lithium ones are not designed to be charged at 14.7V so you shouldn't leave them connected after the car has started. whether you have disconnected the main battery or not. 

having said all that normally you would leave the original battery connected, unless it is shorted or damaged. I only removed it as a test of the boost pack.  I could have discharged my battery completely to test the boost pack but it wasn't necessary or good for the car battery and would take ages.

i don't know why your electrician said that, if anything i would say the danger is connecting jump leads to a battery in situ that is shorted internally.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2017, 16:33:15 by migmog »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 August 2017, 16:38:23 »

I suspect it's because, if the connection were to become intermittent, you'd have a vehicle running with no battery at all. The battery does act as a buffer against the voltage spiking too high when you get a sudden change of load on the alternator or inductive loads such as injectors, coils, motors and so on are switched. You might well end up with a lot of dead electrics if that happened, hence it's regarded as a bad idea.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 August 2017, 16:55:38 »

surely if the connection fails the engine will stop, with no supply to the alternator therefore no output from the alternator. 

unless its a soot chucker.

in any case its the same as an intermittent connection to the original battery eg a loose earth connection.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 August 2017, 19:24:01 »

I accidentally drained my old "16,800mah" one  last week and took it apart today to try and revive it.  turns out it is, under the case and with the wrapper removed, 3 x 3.7V 4amp batteries so actually only 4,000mah.    Still it has twice started my 2.6 on its own with the car battery removed. 

I've ordered a replacement "50,800mah" one in case I can't revive the one cell that has switched off.
As you have found, Lithium batteries cannot deal with over discharging.  In fact, the unit should have safety precautions to prevent that, but if it was cheap Chinese tat...
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 August 2017, 21:02:22 »

migmog, oftentimes nicads, NiMH and lithium cells develop dendritic 0Needle-like) crystals internally and short the cell out, hence it appears to be dead.
I technique I have used successfully in the past is to clear (vaporise) those crystals by "flashing" the cell by connecting it VERY briefly across a car battery. Now, care is needed; do not attempt to connect it for more than a fraction  of a second. The best way is to hold the negative terminal of the cell and quickly brush the positive terminal of the cell with the positive wire from the car battery.
Pause, and check the cell's voltage; if it has ben restored - success!
If not, wait a few minutes and try again.
This member accepts NO responsibility for any conflagration, death or maiming as a result of your trying this!
Only joking, really.....I hope.  :y

Ron.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2017, 00:08:56 »

As you have found, Lithium batteries cannot deal with over discharging.  In fact, the unit should have safety precautions to prevent that, but if it was cheap Chinese tat...

actually the problem is the cells are too clever - two are reading 4.3V and the third one is zero, yes 0.00, nothing at all.  the cell electronics seem to have shut it down.

bigron's trick is the first one i tried, no joy yet.  next step is the freezer then a re-charge.  then the bin.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 August 2017, 13:26:44 »

If its reading 0 then sounds like its fuvked, you could try flashing that cell only or slowly recharge just that cell but sounds to me like its game over for that one.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 August 2017, 18:02:56 »

actually the problem is the cells are too clever - two are reading 4.3V and the third one is zero, yes 0.00, nothing at all.  the cell electronics seem to have shut it down.
No, that's classic lithium failure mode when a cell is overdischarged.

I have a handful of Lipos that have gone like that, no electronics in the packs I've disassembled.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 August 2017, 18:03:52 »

migmog, oftentimes nicads, NiMH and lithium cells develop dendritic 0Needle-like) crystals internally and short the cell out, hence it appears to be dead.
I technique I have used successfully in the past is to clear (vaporise) those crystals by "flashing" the cell by connecting it VERY briefly across a car battery. Now, care is needed; do not attempt to connect it for more than a fraction  of a second. The best way is to hold the negative terminal of the cell and quickly brush the positive terminal of the cell with the positive wire from the car battery.
This member accepts NO responsibility for any conflagration, death or maiming as a result of your trying this!

Ron.
Just remember that rechargeable lithium type batteries have a nasty habit of bursting into flames when even slightly misused ;)
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 August 2017, 22:48:03 »

No, that's classic lithium failure mode when a cell is overdischarged.

I have a handful of Lipos that have gone like that, no electronics in the packs I've disassembled.

disassembled it, separated the batts from their personal circuit boards, two reading 4.2V and one 0.25V (as opposed to 0.00 with the electronics).  Have binned it.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 August 2017, 22:50:13 »

Ron.

thanks, tried that (with a fire extinguisher at the ready).  the duff cell got warm and its bag expanded but no revival this time so its binned

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 09 August 2017, 19:12:42 »

thanks, tried that (with a fire extinguisher at the ready).  the duff cell got warm and its bag expanded but no revival this time so its binned
Any cell with significant swelling should be treated with care.  Its usually one of the first signs.

I have visions of one of my quadcopters exploding mid air due to the swelling I sometimes get during use (batteries probably not quite man enough for the larger drone (rated about 50A constant discharge)).

Any swelling when charging, entire pack gets binned. End of.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2017, 22:02:27 »

Ron.
Just remember that rechargeable lithium type batteries have a nasty habit of bursting into flames when even slightly misused ;)

Just watched Fake Britain regards the Hover board things . . . .Scary stuff. :-\

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.