Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: space saver wheels  (Read 7583 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
space saver wheels
« on: 21 November 2019, 17:42:15 »

i am after a space saver wheel & tyre.  its for a DS 4 . on it is a 215 55 r17. ( 4 stud ) i have been told a 16" will do as they are 125 80 r16. but the vehicle its intended for has an electric handbrake system & are led to believe that makes a difference to what i buy. up to pres  been looking on ebay with no joy .

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re: space saver wheels
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2019, 19:18:44 »

i am after a space saver wheel & tyre.  its for a DS 4 . on it is a 215 55 r17. ( 4 stud ) i have been told a 16" will do as they are 125 80 r16. but the vehicle its intended for has an electric handbrake system & are led to believe that makes a difference to what i buy. up to pres  been looking on ebay with no joy .
since posting i have found out this. in the spare wheel well there is a electric contraption which i thought was some kind of fuel lift pump. but is something to do with the electric handbrake which is an automatic thing.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2019, 09:26:14 »

I would have thought that the important things are stud spacing and offset. Even tyre size isn't critical for the short time the wheel will be on the car. Surely an electric handbrake operates on the wheel drum only. (I stand to be corrected, of course).
I've just bought a space saver wheel for a Mazda 6 with electric handbrake and can't see any potential problems if I have to use it. I suppose I'd better try it out first though.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2019, 10:00:10 »

I would have thought that the important things are stud spacing and offset. Even tyre size isn't critical for the short time the wheel will be on the car. Surely an electric handbrake operates on the wheel drum only. (I stand to be corrected, of course).
I've just bought a space saver wheel for a Mazda 6 with electric handbrake and can't see any potential problems if I have to use it. I suppose I'd better try it out first though.

I agree with Bill  :)

My ML came with a slimmer space saver spare & it has an electric parking/hand brake (on the disc though)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2019, 11:14:00 »

You do have to check that they clear the rear brake assembly, the one on the XE is a narrow full size alloy to allow just for this.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2019, 11:48:09 »

It seems obvious to me that the place to get one is from Citroen (or DS, as they like to think that they are a separate brand). Expensive, maybe, but at least you know it's the right one.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2019, 12:48:36 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2019, 13:16:50 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2019, 13:22:13 »

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

If the world was rid of planet killing derv cars there would be no requirement for an Adblue tank.........problem solved. :)

Fortunately my Tata has a space saver spare located under the boot tray with the battery. The original owner had to tick a box and pay an extra £180 though.  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2019, 13:33:56 »

If the world was rid of planet killing derv cars there would be no requirement for an Adblue tank.........problem solved. :)
I had a feeling you might comment .....  ;D

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.201610514.2059611376.1574339916-489126235.1563806406Fortunately my Tata has a space saver spare located under the boot tray with the battery. The original owner had to tick a box and pay an extra £180 though.  :-\
[/quote] My daughter's Yaris has space for a spare tyre & that was a paid for optional extra too ..... she got her's as part of the deal though because her dad 'asked nicely'  but then had to involve those higher up the ladder to actually get it!  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2019, 14:07:24 »

or that there simply isn't room for the massive diameter of modern wheel/tyre combinations. Having a collapsible spare like some Mercs, NSXs etc doesn't help, because there still isn't room for the wheel you removed. Even the original XC90 came with a bag to cover the dirty removed wheel in the boot as it doesn't fit the cradle under the car. XC90s with the factory bodykit and tacky exhausts don't have the cradle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.