Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: space saver wheels  (Read 7568 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: space saver wheels
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2019, 14:22:43 »

In my youth I seem to recall the average family car having 13 inch wheels.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2019, 14:26:58 »

In my youth I seem to recall the average family car having 13 inch wheels.
Yeah, and about 4 inches wide.....and never got stuck in the snow.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2019, 14:29:07 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

or that there simply isn't room for the massive diameter of modern wheel/tyre combinations. Having a collapsible spare like some Mercs, NSXs etc doesn't help, because there still isn't room for the wheel you removed. Even the original XC90 came with a bag to cover the dirty removed wheel in the boot as it doesn't fit the cradle under the car. XC90s with the factory bodykit and tacky exhausts don't have the cradle.

Not so good once age hardened rubber and very difficult to inflate with the pisspot compressor supplied,don't ask how I know >:(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2019, 14:37:27 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

or that there simply isn't room for the massive diameter of modern wheel/tyre combinations. Having a collapsible spare like some Mercs, NSXs etc doesn't help, because there still isn't room for the wheel you removed. Even the original XC90 came with a bag to cover the dirty removed wheel in the boot as it doesn't fit the cradle under the car. XC90s with the factory bodykit and tacky exhausts don't have the cradle.

Not so good once age hardened rubber and very difficult to inflate with the pisspot compressor supplied,don't ask how I know >:(

I've fitted several, and always been impressed by how effective the compressors were. Although starting the inflation before doing anything else is a good idea.

Age hardened rubber is one of several reasons why I've refused to fit spare wheels.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2019, 15:35:51 »

I've fitted several, and always been impressed by how effective the compressors were. Although starting the inflation before doing anything else is a good idea.

Age hardened rubber is one of several reasons why I've refused to fit spare wheels.

My Touareg spare had never been used and had dropped off the bead hence the issue inflating, of course I didn't know this until I needed the bloody thing :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2019, 16:25:42 »

My Touareg spare had never been used and had dropped off the bead hence the issue inflating, of course I didn't know this until I needed the bloody thing :-X
Is there no mention of these tyres in routine maintenance?

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2019, 17:13:26 »

Always thought it's a damn silly idea not to provide a spare wheel, Subaru has a full size one & the Range Rover was supplied with a full size matching alloy ( brand new ) but has a space saver slung beneath.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2019, 17:17:41 »

I wonder what % of RAC/AA call outs are for flat tyres.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2019, 17:26:04 »

Quite high I would think , a lot of folk would have no idea how to change a wheel if they were fortunate enough to have one.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2019, 17:28:28 »

Quite high I would think , a lot of folk would have no idea how to change a wheel if they were fortunate enough to have one.
Quite, but I meant the increase in call outs since a bottle of glue was considered a reliable alternative to an actual tyre. Should have made myself more clear.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2019, 17:33:48 »

I doubt many women would have the physical strength to undo the wheel nuts....and even less inclination to try.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2019, 17:35:05 »

I doubt many women would have the physical strength to undo the wheel nuts....and even less inclination to try.
Especially if their tyres had been replaced at Kwikfit or the like.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2019, 17:42:05 »

The Battlebus (full sized, though steel rim) spare has a date stamp from 2001 ;D.  I certainly don't fancy driving on it, even in an emergency, as its cracking.

Though do I buy a black and round, or a decent tyre. Only about £12 difference, so a no brainer really.  All assuming the steel wheel isn't classed as too corroded.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2019, 18:10:37 »

I think I heard that the AA/RAC were setting up fleets of dedicated tyre vans, with puncture repair facilities and a small range of common tyres on board?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 November 2019, 18:14:33 »

I think I heard that the AA/RAC were setting up fleets of dedicated tyre vans, with puncture repair facilities and a small range of common tyres on board?  :-\
As is my MOT man, though he says its not all down to no spare wheels, but ineptness of modern snowflakes.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.