Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CID in "full" use  (Read 38821 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: CID in "full" use
« Reply #60 on: 30 July 2014, 10:36:42 »

Also, how much us that pcb likely to cost to solder up and instal?

Versus £6-900 for a colour head unit, that will loose the colour dash display to a lower position, worsen the sound due to bose removal and yes I have compared Bose to some modern set ups and the gains are marginal at best with a HUGE dolop of cash to achieve those minuscule gains.

I think I'll try the pcb route first before going down a road that costs more than most omegas are worth.

Assuming the PCB is roughly 100mmx50mm a good quality gold plated PCB would cost around £50 one off, or £85 for 4, or £127 for 10, or £200 for 25.
The price for soldering the PCB's depends on the number of components. Assuming about 20 components, you're looking at £50 for 1, £80 for 5, £120 for 10 or £275 for 25.
Plus the cost of the components - probably £20-£30 by the looks of it.
Plus VAT, P&P etc.

Finger in the air suggests around £200 one off, dropping to perhaps £40 in 25 off quantities. Note that this doesn't include any allowance for fitting it to the CID, or wiring it into the car, or any beer money for whoever takes the project on.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30 July 2014, 11:57:04 »

While I agree with you about the OEM look, I'm afraid i'll have to disagree about binning the Bose, of all the Omega Bose setups I've listened too I'd say there's only two that have an acceptable tightness and definition from the speakers - basically the speakers are all old an tired, but then they would be after 12+ years!

What's required is a set of 2 Ohm speakers with similar response levels and in the same sizes....... Ah well, never mind!

The Bose amp will happily drive 4 ohm speakers and the small loss of power output will be hardly noticeable (given the log dB scale)

chrisgixer

« Reply #62 on: 30 July 2014, 21:11:56 »

Also, how much us that pcb likely to cost to solder up and instal?

Versus £6-900 for a colour head unit, that will loose the colour dash display to a lower position, worsen the sound due to bose removal and yes I have compared Bose to some modern set ups and the gains are marginal at best with a HUGE dolop of cash to achieve those minuscule gains.

I think I'll try the pcb route first before going down a road that costs more than most omegas are worth.

Assuming the PCB is roughly 100mmx50mm a good quality gold plated PCB would cost around £50 one off, or £85 for 4, or £127 for 10, or £200 for 25.
The price for soldering the PCB's depends on the number of components. Assuming about 20 components, you're looking at £50 for 1, £80 for 5, £120 for 10 or £275 for 25.
Plus the cost of the components - probably £20-£30 by the looks of it.
Plus VAT, P&P etc.

Finger in the air suggests around £200 one off, dropping to perhaps £40 in 25 off quantities. Note that this doesn't include any allowance for fitting it to the CID, or wiring it into the car, or any beer money for whoever takes the project on.

Your a lovely man, thankyou for the ball parks. I shall look into it further during my week off. :y

....which could be amusing as I have no idea what i'me talking about, although that's never been a problem in the past ;D :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #63 on: 30 July 2014, 21:30:51 »

Just to add, iirc, Mr Michael Grosser in one of those links was selling a complete kit of parts required, un soldered, for £200.

chrisgixer

« Reply #64 on: 30 July 2014, 21:58:33 »

Although our member in Spain mentioned a prototype ready in August....?

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 30 July 2014, 22:24:30 »

While I agree with you about the OEM look, I'm afraid i'll have to disagree about binning the Bose, of all the Omega Bose setups I've listened too I'd say there's only two that have an acceptable tightness and definition from the speakers - basically the speakers are all old an tired, but then they would be after 12+ years!

What's required is a set of 2 Ohm speakers with similar response levels and in the same sizes....... Ah well, never mind!

The Bose amp will happily drive 4 ohm speakers and the small loss of power output will be hardly noticeable (given the log dB scale)

:y :y :y :y

I replaced my fronts with 4ohm Infinity's from my previous car (screwed straight in) and the Bose drives them fine. They are more efficient so I actually turned them down one notch to get the sound stage right. Sounded much better from the off. It's highly unlikely more resistance is going to damage anything, less usually will if pushed to hard.

cjackel492

• Sussex
    • 2001 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 30 July 2014, 23:02:59 »

Been reading this with alot of interest..

But I have been thinking along a different idea..

Instead, replace the unit with a nice 5" LCD with HDMI, VGA and composite inputs..

The LCD wouldn't be a perfect fit as there will be a gap above/below the LCD but it will be of a higher resolution than the CID (800x480)..

I has thinking then the HDMI input can be connected to an Android stick MK802 or Eqiv, Composite to the reversing camera and maybe the VGA from a SBC or microchip PIC controller..

The stereo would have to be replaced, and currently this design wouldn't show any fuel consumption info or details about any faults/failures/fluid lows..

RE the PCB method above, A company called OSHPark in America do prototype PCB's $5 Per Sq inch for 3 PCB's.. So 100x50 is approx $40 (£23.65) for 3, £7.88 Per PCB. Great quality PCB's too..

Carl,

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 31 July 2014, 21:44:35 »

Been reading this with alot of interest..

But I have been thinking along a different idea..

Instead, replace the unit with a nice 5" LCD with HDMI, VGA and composite inputs..

The LCD wouldn't be a perfect fit as there will be a gap above/below the LCD but it will be of a higher resolution than the CID (800x480)..

I has thinking then the HDMI input can be connected to an Android stick MK802 or Eqiv, Composite to the reversing camera and maybe the VGA from a SBC or microchip PIC controller..

The stereo would have to be replaced, and currently this design wouldn't show any fuel consumption info or details about any faults/failures/fluid lows..

RE the PCB method above, A company called OSHPark in America do prototype PCB's $5 Per Sq inch for 3 PCB's.. So 100x50 is approx $40 (£23.65) for 3, £7.88 Per PCB. Great quality PCB's too..

Carl,

There is the key problem, even more so for Elites as they have Bose

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 31 July 2014, 21:58:13 »

Interesting. Need to find some appropriate speakers and have a little play!

chrisgixer

« Reply #69 on: 04 August 2014, 21:57:12 »

So, this CID input. How do we go about making a board? Local machinist? CNC'd?

Need someone who can make up the printed circuit board from the images ideally. Would be far easier to be able to by the full kit and just have to solder on the components.

Designing and manufacturing PCB's is a lot easier and cheaper than it used to be. We do it all the time here at work. For small runs (i.e.less than 50 boards), try www.pcbtrain.co.uk. They will manufacture high quality PCB's in up to 6 layers. If you've got a parts list, they will also quote to assemble them for you. If the circuit contains surface mount components I would not reccomend selling 'kits' since assembly is beyond most folks soldering capabilities, and you'd end up with a lot of whinging customers.

Emailed these guys today with a few links.

Spireite

« Reply #70 on: 06 August 2014, 10:05:42 »

Can thing be done with mini facelift set up if I got hold of a CID screen?  Probably nit as i have a philips/bose ccr800 headunit.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06 August 2014, 13:39:45 »

Can thing be done with mini facelift set up if I got hold of a CID screen?  Probably nit as i have a philips/bose ccr800 headunit.
Nope.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 06 August 2014, 13:41:54 »

Yes it can, TB has the full OE nav setup in his mini facelift with CID display

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 06 August 2014, 14:05:32 »

Yes it can, TB has the full OE nav setup in his mini facelift with CID display
Philips/bose ccr800 headunit.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06 August 2014, 14:08:38 »

Easy to bypass the Bose  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.