Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluetooth reciever  (Read 7189 times)

chrisgixer

Bluetooth reciever
« on: 13 October 2014, 00:00:55 »

harmon Kardon modulator has old apple connector, to which an apple gadget will fit.

Such as, a Bluetooth reciever. Like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wireless-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver-Adapter-For-iPhone-iPod-Dock-Bose-Speaker/251457174533?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D26261%26meid%3D8af7f01b722844758357113596d4b5f0%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10942%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D251457174533

Advantage would be, I hope, that all audio would be sent to the car speakers. Tomtom voice being the main thing, with music obviously etc etc.

But, how will it work with the Nokia phone kit a lot of us have? Will an iPhone connect to two bt devices? :-\ will it send phone audio to phone kit, and all else to the reciever? Iirc there is a munu pop up to select the desired device. ...?

Prety sure the control knob for the Harmon kardon will be made redundant as well. :(

05omegav6

Re: Bluetooth reciever
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2014, 01:01:51 »

Ignoring Bose for a second...
Usb, gaypod, blue tooth and screen repeater... or have I missed summat :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2014, 08:23:35 »

Ignoring Bose for a second...
Usb, gaypod, blue tooth and screen repeater... or have I missed summat :-\

Apart from an obsession with fony, the fact that in no way am I removing a 2015 with cid that's been heavily worked on by members here, and a price difference of £310...,

...no you've missed nothing at all. ;D   ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2014, 08:36:54 »

Although there is a point in there, in that I have no desire to upgrade the head unit. At all. Why is that?

....anyone care to comment?

I'll start with the sound quality. I dont give a rats arse what the trade says. I have yet to hear an in car sound system better than the Bose set up in omega. ...that's not to say the system can't be bettered, but the astranomical cost of replacement to achieve minimal improvement only proves the quality of the oe set up. Imo.

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2014, 10:39:16 »

Fair dos wrt Bose... but I do wonder if,by refusing to replace the HU, you run the risk of either missing out on functions that you require, or ending up with something thast doesn't work as you'd like because you have added features that it was never designed to have...

Depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve I suppose :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2014, 11:52:06 »

harmon Kardon modulator has old apple connector, to which an apple gadget will fit.

Such as, a Bluetooth reciever. Like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wireless-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver-Adapter-For-iPhone-iPod-Dock-Bose-Speaker/251457174533?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D26261%26meid%3D8af7f01b722844758357113596d4b5f0%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10942%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D251457174533

Advantage would be, I hope, that all audio would be sent to the car speakers. Tomtom voice being the main thing, with music obviously etc etc.

But, how will it work with the Nokia phone kit a lot of us have? Will an iPhone connect to two bt devices? :-\ will it send phone audio to phone kit, and all else to the reciever? Iirc there is a munu pop up to select the desired device. ...?

Prety sure the control knob for the Harmon kardon will be made redundant as well. :(

Not sure if Im reading you correctly, the NCDC HU has no Bluetooth, but you know that, so kind of guessing your asking could the BT interface be wired up to the Telematics Unit / wiring (Via some Audio trickery) so you can use the Phone for calls etc, probably, but as for playing music through it kind of guessing it would end up as an old fashion Mono signal.  :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2014, 14:07:37 »

Ok so ncdc 2015 has telematics. (2013 doesn't ) ...some history of this set up in my particular car.

I won't mention names initially, as I don't want them receiving requests to make this and that they are busy people especially atm. But...

I wanted to add a bt car kit, and an ac glove box. So A member here made me a loom to extend the telematics to the boot. And B member made me a little circuit board mixer to allow use of a bt car kit AND telematic. B member also, and get this, bought me a replacement new Harmon Kardon as the one he kindly offered to repair was buggered. Yeah, brand new. :o :y

So not only would IT be somwhat rude of me to then replace the HU given all the work they have done for me, but I love the way the system works. It's what I want in my car, and I'm very grateful to them. Oe head units are the only units that look correct in the car, and this one particularly is too integrated into the cars systems to replace, esp. given that I will not accept stuff not working. Etc etc....

So, what brings the bt reciever up?

Well, some will remember me trying to get tomtom voice to play via the bt car kit. This works well on Google maps, as the voice plays in mono through the bt car kit as Zirk mentions, but tomtom voice refuses to play voice via bt car car kit, because tomtom want you to buy THIER bt car kit instead.

This bt reciever will do exactly that. Plus it will, recieve and play all audio the the phone creates.

But.... What are the downsides ?

Will the Nokia bt car kit still work with calls? It's not good phone audio going to the BT reciever as there is no mic. That will have to go the the Nokia bt car kit. Hence as I recall there is a pop up on the phone for you to select the BT input you want. But if a pita if you have to check that box for each call, but might the pghone remember the selection for calls? :-\

Obviously I will have to remove the ipod to fit the bt reciever. So the iPod won't work ;D
But I have the phone with the same music on it that the BT reciever will play. But will the controller for the iPod on the harmon kardon control the phone via the reciever? Guessing not.
So I'll be stuck with buggering about with the phone while driving, which isn't good. The Hk controller knob is very good for this as I don't have to look at it.

In short it will fix one issue, but cause others. I can't think of any other functions that will be affected. But there are members here that understand these things much better than I do. :y
« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 14:11:05 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2014, 14:12:33 »

I have omitted that the BT reciever goes in place of the iPod to the harmon kardon emulator that is played through bose. :y

...and that it only cost £5 to find out, and I have now ordered one. So the question is now a bit pointless anyway. ;D

Although it might be usefull to otheres. :)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 14:15:38 by chrisgixer »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2014, 14:32:10 »

I have omitted that the BT reciever goes in place of the iPod to the harmon kardon emulator that is played through bose. :y

...and that it only cost £5 to find out, and I have now ordered one. So the question is now a bit pointless anyway. ;D

£5 not a bad gamble, not an iPhone user or understander, but guessing what that gismo does, is drops into your Bose iPhone / Pod station and links your iPhone via BT so you walk around the house with the phone in your pocket.

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2014, 14:37:59 »

£5 not a bad gamble, not an iPhone user or understander, but guessing what that gismo does, is drops into your Bose iPhone / Pod station and links your iPhone via BT so you walk around the house with the phone in your pocket.
yes it will work on any crApple dock or connector, rather than plugging the device in directly.

So becomes instant remote control, typo thing.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2014, 18:03:57 »

I'm 95% certain the gayDevice will only use one BT device at a time.  Certainly for outgoing calls, its likely to prompt, but really not sure about incoming.  If it prompts on a call, I guess that's not so bad.

Only other thing I can think of is something clever around always pumping **ALL** audio via BT gadget you have, and having a clever way to bring the MIC in for calls. But then you're reliant on the gayDevice to deal with what gets muted, so telematics calls, RDS travel etc etc will all interrupt call.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2014, 18:04:29 »

Mts TB has CoPilot, I can try to see what that does BT wise for directions?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2014, 18:05:09 »

Mts TB has CoPilot, I can try to see what that does BT wise for directions?
Doh! Which means I do, as we use the same gayTunes account ;D
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2014, 21:26:29 »

;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2014, 21:39:25 »

...oh, I did managed to get iphone 5 to say it was connected to 3 differant Bluetooth devices earlier. But couldn't check if they actually worked all at once, or melted. ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.