Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clutch  (Read 809 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
Clutch
« on: 31 March 2008, 13:07:45 »

I think my clutch may need changing in the near future, has anyone done this before? is it a big job? also is there anywhere which offers an uprated clutch?
sideways is the way forward!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2008, 13:34:42 »

Easy enough, hardest bit is getting the clutch to work afterwards, reverse bleeding required

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2008, 13:41:25 »

Standard RWD clutch change.

Likely problems are exhaust front pipe to cat bolts seized and shear off and on early cars the front pipe to manifold nuts can stick and shear the stud so spray some penetrant around first.

Standard clutch should be fine. Most kits seem to be by LUK who make the originals. Do change the cover and pressure plate, we have seen pressure plate springs breaking around 100k.

Haynes book covers gearbox removal but it is all pretty obvious.
You have to bleed the clutch afterwards by pushing fluid in through the bleed nipple, normal bleeding doesnt get all the air out.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2008, 19:31:13 »

It's straightforward but the box is pretty heavy. Really need two people to get it back on.

Because you can look through the clutch you can align it without a tool.

Take a picture of how the driveshaft coupling attaches to the gearbox I don't think it's very intutive.

As Matchless says the exhaust bolts are likely to be the main challenge. At the cats to mid boxes grind the tip of the bolts off so you're not trying to pull a rusty lump through the thread. Be prepared to drill one or two out if they shear. Not too bad just use a nut and bolt instead of a bolt afterwards.

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2008, 12:34:55 »

Standard RWD clutch change.

I have only changed FWD clutches before but ill have a go  :y

Likely problems are exhaust front pipe to cat bolts seized and shear off and on early cars the front pipe to manifold nuts can stick and shear the stud so spray some penetrant around first.

They have already sheard off, been drilled out and bolts replaced lol

Standard clutch should be fine. Most kits seem to be by LUK who make the originals. Do change the cover and pressure plate, we have seen pressure plate springs breaking around 100k.

I would prefer to upgrade rather than just replace, Ill be doing the labour myself so can afford the extra for something better.

Haynes book covers gearbox removal but it is all pretty obvious.
You have to bleed the clutch afterwards by pushing fluid in through the bleed nipple, normal bleeding doesnt get all the air out.

Ill need to dig out the haynes then, hate they things, normally have more luck doing things blind than working from a haynes  ::)

Thanks
« Last Edit: 01 April 2008, 12:36:52 by 106rallye »
sideways is the way forward!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.