Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: how much for a mechanic to.....  (Read 1947 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
how much for a mechanic to.....
« on: 10 April 2008, 00:04:22 »

change a exhaust manifold gasket on an MV6? ive always done all my mechanics myself, however with the lack of weekend time i seem to have at the moment, lack of tools (mainly engine crane) and the amount of overtime im being offered in work. i swaying towards paying someone else to do it.

What has other people paid to have this done? or if your a mechanic what kind of price would you charge?

thanks in advance
sideways is the way forward!

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
Re: how much for a mechanic to.....
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2008, 00:17:10 »

Don't know about price , depends on how much they charge per hour for labour . Quite a long winded job I think , most people tend to live with it unless it gets realy bad .

If you can do it yourself it will be much cheaper . Wait untill the overtime dries up and you've got a weekend free :y

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2008, 00:30:10 »

well ive known every owner since it left the police and it started about 3 or 4 years ago lol. its now at the point where it need done asap, on start up it sounds like a ....  a.... a crazy ticking thing lol

At the moment im getting an average of 20mpg so im hoping that this is causing it (although it prob that heavy right shoe i bought by mistake  ::)).
« Last Edit: 10 April 2008, 00:31:31 by 106rallye »

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2008, 07:53:59 »

Hi
It depends on which gasket you are talking about.  Is it manifold to down pipe or manifold to head, and is it left side or right side.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2008, 07:57:36 »

Hi
It depends on which gasket you are talking about.  Is it manifold to down pipe or manifold to head, and is it left side or right side.
Alan

Hi

its the manifold to head on the passenger side

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2008, 08:18:36 »

About a 3-4 hour job with an engine crane.

Gaskets are about 20 quid tops

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2008, 08:21:24 »

Hi
Alan

Hi

Hi
Thought it might be, that is the most awkward one.  Despite what Haynes says, it is apparently possible to change that gasket without removing the head from the engine or the engine from the car.  Its done by lifting and tilting the engine to one side to give clearance.  I wish I'd known that before I changed mine by removing the head.  Cannot give guidance on cost except to repeat what someone else said earlier, wait till the overtime dries up and do it yourself, especially now that you know it can probably be done without removing head or engine.  I say probably because I haven't done it that way myself.  
I was prompted to do mine, and not wait, because I was worried about leaking exhaust gasses burning away the head.  To my surprise there were not any marks on the head at all.  Having said that, I do not know how bad your blow is.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2008, 08:25:39 »

Hi
Alan

Hi

Hi
Thought it might be, that is the most awkward one.  Despite what Haynes says, it is apparently possible to change that gasket without removing the head from the engine or the engine from the car.  Its done by lifting and tilting the engine to one side to give clearance.  I wish I'd known that before I changed mine by removing the head.  Cannot give guidance on cost except to repeat what someone else said earlier, wait till the overtime dries up and do it yourself, especially now that you know it can probably be done without removing head or engine.  I say probably because I haven't done it that way myself.  
I was prompted to do mine, and not wait, because I was worried about leaking exhaust gasses burning away the head.  To my surprise there were not any marks on the head at all.  Having said that, I do not know how bad your blow is.
Alan

Lol, with the engine shifted for clearance, its actually easier than the drivers side!

bobbertbear

• Intermediate Member
  • perth
    • 04 omega 3.2 ex plod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2008, 08:29:45 »

i did the drivers side one yesterday,no engine crane,just jack and block of wood under the sump,undid the engine mounting,jacked it up and hey presto,job all done now ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2008, 08:31:44 »

i did the drivers side one yesterday,no engine crane,just jack and block of wood under the sump,undid the engine mounting,jacked it up and hey presto,job all done now ;D

You dont need to support the engine or remove the mount to do the drivers side one.  :y

bobbertbear

• Intermediate Member
  • perth
    • 04 omega 3.2 ex plod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2008, 08:34:54 »

i couldnt get the manifold out without lifting it,but not as experienced as some of the guys on here,am lifting the engine out of ma lpg breaker today.hope it stays dry :-/

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2008, 12:18:16 »

My biggest worry would be the manifold studs/bolts snapping :-[ how east/difficult are they to remove?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2008, 12:58:19 »

My biggest worry would be the manifold studs/bolts snapping :-[ how east/difficult are they to remove?

Never snapped one yet on a post 97 V6.

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2008, 12:59:52 »

That was what i was originally thinking but is the engine not to heavy to be supported on the sump?

thats one of the main concerns about doing it myself. a full can of penetrator spray should lower the chances of it happening (i hope)

About a 3-4 hour job with an engine crane.

Gaskets are about 20 quid tops

Ill prob have a go myself. is it a GM only part of can a aftermarket part be used?

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2008, 13:18:49 »

Never snapped one yet on a post 97 V6.

thats what i like to hear  :y any special techniques used?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.