Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: slight knocking in engine cam area i think  (Read 1898 times)

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
slight knocking in engine cam area i think
« on: 27 April 2020, 20:56:38 »

Hi to all hope you are all well as can be,had loads done on my omega last year or so you name it.just got this little annoying knock/tapping when i start up gets quieter when running as im inside the car.little oil under crank wheel,had cam covers all done all good.just the noise  wonder what it is? most mechanics said it sounds all good,maybe just me.cheers

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: slight knocking in engine cam area i think
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2020, 22:00:41 »

Could be a sticky hydraulic lifter? Try uing a long extension/screwdriver/similar to have a listen along the cam covers to see if it gets louder at any given point taking care that no loose clothing etc can get caught in the auxiliary belt/other whizzy engine bits.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2020, 22:04:26 »

How long is it stood for?

Normal for the followers to drain down over time when not run.

Also what oil is in it? 5w30 will drain down quicker than 10w40.

Final point to consider is mileage and service intervals.

Allowing for all the above, if it stops once warmed up or revved then don't worry too much.  ;)

Service these every 10k or less, and they'll easily do 1/4 million + miles without issue. Which is nice  8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2020, 22:11:19 »

Try draining the oil and refilling with 10W40 semi-synthetic,  perhaps also changing the filter. Change the oil again after 1000 miles. And even once more if the noise is still present. I've had some success with that.

Some folks swear by a bottle of Wynns hydraulic lifter treatment with the first oil change.

Vauxhall TIS (used to) recommend Forte oil treatment, expensive and I've never tried it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2020, 22:13:30 »

Wynns works, but cannot undo mileage wear in the oil pump ;)

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2020, 22:25:11 »

thankyou all ive had the car 15 years now drive it regular as clockwork except last 4 weeks just to shops etc so not many miles standing around 4 days at a time then just say 5miles at a time. had starter motor replaced 4 weeks ago just when lockdown come.its just annoying tapping maybe as im not driving it much 40 10 oil in it new everything.little leak under crankwheel appeared after camcovers were done by serek hes excellent not his fault.i was told crank pressure can move around to weakest place and leak.maybe crank seal leaking aswell.thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2020, 22:30:30 »

In that case check the level and don't worry about it :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2020, 11:37:21 »

If you have only been driving minimal miles over the past 5 weeks and car left standing for several days it really sounds like just "drain down " from the lifters .
As advised by others , if you have £25 to spend do an oil/filter change with 10/40 and then put a bottle of Wynns lifter treatment in.
If oil /filter recenty changed and you wish to save the £25 and 30minutes work ,just live with it as I doudt it will get any worse.
My own 3.2 has started to rattle abit on the weekly shopping run of 8 miles as it is more used to doing 100miles a day normally.

Ant - Petrol Blue Thirty Two

• St. Ives, Cornwall
    • 2002 Elite Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2020, 18:46:39 »

My take on this would be........to take away some of your doubt and when you can given lockdown,......put a bottle of Wynns Lifter Treatment straight in your engine if the oil/filter is fairly recent and clean(ish).  Give it a fairly long run to let the engine get to op. temp. and run for about 15 mins  - start by letting the engine tick over at home with the odd rev til the fan kicks in, add the Wynns and then drive some distance preferably where you can keep the engine revs at 2.5/3.0 rpm - use 3rd gear if necessary - for 15/20 mins.   Drain oil overnight or longer if you can to get as much old oil out.  If your filter is recent, you could leave it as is - its not gonna harm too much and the small residual amount of Wynns is not gonna kill.  VIP - use a 'premium' brand of 10/40 semi e.g. Shell or Mobil - no own brands stuff or cheaper less well known brands.  After leaving the refilling as long as possible, put 5.4 ltrs back in if no oil filter change - 5.7 if you did.  It could be that on your recent cam covers change/sealing sees that a bit of silicone sealant skipping around that could part block the lifter temporarily.  See if that changes things and if not, its only cost you an oil change and the Wynns stuff as part of eliminating the cause.  Check oil level next day. Drain down is always gonna happen at some point and experienced at various lengths of time since last shut down - that will depend on your mileage, previous care re oil quality changes and temps at start up.  Main point despite all this,is that if it quietens after a short time it not a serious issue.   Ant.             
« Last Edit: 28 April 2020, 18:50:02 by Ant - Petrol Blue Thirty Two »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2020, 20:02:01 »

My take on this would be........to take away some of your doubt and when you can given lockdown,......put a bottle of Wynns Lifter Treatment straight in your engine if the oil/filter is fairly recent and clean(ish).  Give it a fairly long run to let the engine get to op. temp. and run for about 15 mins  - start by letting the engine tick over at home with the odd rev til the fan kicks in, add the Wynns and then drive some distance preferably where you can keep the engine revs at 2.5/3.0 rpm - use 3rd gear if necessary - for 15/20 mins.   Drain oil overnight or longer if you can to get as much old oil out.  If your filter is recent, you could leave it as is - its not gonna harm too much and the small residual amount of Wynns is not gonna kill.  VIP - use a 'premium' brand of 10/40 semi e.g. Shell or Mobil - no own brands stuff or cheaper less well known brands.  After leaving the refilling as long as possible, put 5.4 ltrs back in if no oil filter change - 5.7 if you did.  It could be that on your recent cam covers change/sealing sees that a bit of silicone sealant skipping around that could part block the lifter temporarily.  See if that changes things and if not, its only cost you an oil change and the Wynns stuff as part of eliminating the cause.  Check oil level next day. Drain down is always gonna happen at some point and experienced at various lengths of time since last shut down - that will depend on your mileage, previous care re oil quality changes and temps at start up.  Main point despite all this,is that if it quietens after a short time it not a serious issue.   Ant.             

Wouldn't take too much notice of that advice on so called "premium oil"
"Ant  Petrol Blue  32 " has chosen to overlook  the well proven  "GM 10-40 semi synth "  that most of us have used for years in these cars with excellent results .   ;)
« Last Edit: 02 May 2020, 20:05:10 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Ant - Petrol Blue Thirty Two

• St. Ives, Cornwall
    • 2002 Elite Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2020, 10:52:38 »

To clarify....wouldn't disagree with Alnico Blue there, but unless you can buy the GM oil at a price other than 'stupid' money from a Vauxhall Dealer and if you have to buy a normal 5 litre from Halfords or other motor factor, a premium brand would be my best advice.  Own brands (I meant supermarket etc.) and cheaper oils will usually be near the more economic end of making and blending oils and was the only point I was making.  Gm is a premium brand too naturally as it is the car manufacturers spec.   

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2020, 11:10:32 »

thanx to everyone for your advice.i put the wynnes in yest seems to have eased the tapping in the cam area just got l oil leak by the crank wheel cant find any other leaks ,serek did good job of camcovers bless him its probably pressure pushin oil out of front crankseal i guess.had it done last year but geezer must have done a crap job have to go back to serek when its poss i always use best 10 40 oil castrol semi synthetic.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2020, 13:58:01 »

Castrol is best avoided as it tends to mayo in the filler neck.

Oil is one of the few things that you can haggle over at the dealer as it's usually on offer... 4cans for the price of 3 or 25% of a drum. If they won't play ball, it's readily available online for sensible money  ;)

Re the crank leak, the cam covers are only half the job... Breathers need doing properly at the same time, especially using Castrol. Likely culprit is the oil pressure switch seal for low down leaks at the front of the block...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2020, 16:28:11 »

Try draining the oil and refilling with 10W40 semi-synthetic,  perhaps also changing the filter. Change the oil again after 1000 miles. And even once more if the noise is still present. I've had some success with that.

Some folks swear by a bottle of Wynns hydraulic lifter treatment with the first oil change.

Vauxhall TIS (used to) recommend Forte oil treatment, expensive and I've never tried it.

Good stuff,,  oil change+filter, add 1 bottle, take car for a nice good drive, repeat after 1000miles.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.