Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Saga of the Oil Pressure Switch  (Read 2046 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
The Saga of the Oil Pressure Switch
« on: 06 August 2006, 16:45:20 »

A couple of months ago, while the car was serviced at Vx, I pointed out to them a small oil leak from around the lower pulley. They said it was coming from the Oil Pressure Switch and that I needed a new one - £18 parts and labour. That did not sound unreasonable, so I said OK – trouble is they did not have the Oil Pressure Switch in stock.

So I was thinking no problem, will change it myself  ;). After looking into it further, it turned out that earlier models were fitted with an Oil Pressure Switch with a copper washer, while later models had an integral alloy washer. I assumed that my 2001 car probably had the latter which is why Vx said I needed a new switch instead of just change the copper washer.

So I bought an Oil Pressure Switch from Vx (around £4 on TC), and was going to change it yesterday when I realised I don’t actually have a 24mm socket or spanner. Off I went to Halfords and got myself a deep 24mm spark plug socket and a 24mm Spanner (£11 together).

Took off the old Oil Pressure Switch today, only to find out that it actually had a copper washer that seemed perished (the switch came off by hand easily after the tiniest turn with the spanner). So all the tossers ad Vx had to do was change the washer, a 20 millisecond job if you paralysed from the neck down or a bit less if you can actually use your arms  >:(.

Would have speared me the Saturday trip to Staple’s Corner Halfords and the cost of tools…  :( (hopefully a 24mm spanner will come in handy elsewhere on the meega though)

Incidentally, Haynes quote 40NM as torque settings for the Oil Pressure Switch, but since my 2001 car still had the copper washer unit and Haynes only goes up to 1999, I wasn’t sure if Mr Haynes actually heard of the integral alloy washer and so decided to ignore the manual and tightened it the old fashion way – with a spanner by hand.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of the Oil Pressure Switch
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2006, 17:17:15 »

Has it cured your oil leak MJ?
I like red cars

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2006, 17:47:16 »

I did a quick drive up and down the street and the area under the switch is still dry to the touch, tomorrow I am taking the car for a longer trip (to Gillingham) so will know for sure, but considering how easily the old switch came off I think that the leak is now cured.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2006, 18:34:46 »

Well done MJ [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I had the opposite with my sump plug, remember, the dealer had over tightened it.

I like red cars

summat

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2006, 19:34:30 »

£18 parts and labour.

a 20 millisecond job if you paralysed from the neck down

Sounds about right for VX.

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2006, 23:54:26 »

(hopefully a 24mm spanner will come in handy elsewhere on the meega though)

Can you not use it on the side of the guys head who said you needed a new switch in the first place?  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2006, 11:39:35 »

(hopefully a 24mm spanner will come in handy elsewhere on the meega though)

Can you not use it on the side of the guys head who said you needed a new switch in the first place?  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sadly, not :(

They also happen to be my Trade Club dealership (or the one I have easiest access to anyway) so I need to keep a good relationship with them. One of life's little compromises...  ;)

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.