Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2982122 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #19155 on: 26 September 2019, 19:43:30 »

Thrown it vaguely back together sans tank/pump in order to leave it on its wheels pending a decision.
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #19156 on: 27 September 2019, 08:17:59 »

I fitted some bits - over the last few weeks..

Had the fuel tank modified to move the filler tube to the side and add a vent tube so it doesn't spit back when filling by Ollie at Olliminium @ Bicester Heritage, finally fitted it with filler hose and vents (one to vent when filling, and a breather to .. breathe):

Fitted the front bumper with OE grommets - went surprisingly well just using a dremel and sharpie to cut the holes for those:

Came to fit the rear bumper - the only reason bumpers are going on is because they make a convenient spot to mount fog, reverse and reflectors for the IVA man:

Same approach as the front - drill hole, dremel to enlarge, fit grommet:

Only to find that the holes are so high up, by the time you've fitted a grommet .. you've made a hole in the boot floor  ::)
PEEKABOO! I SEE YOU!

Apparently "They're all like that" - every Dax from 1987 (at least, confirmed by someone who did the same job on theirs way back when) has the boot floor effectively too far down so you can't avoid puncturing it if you fit grommets instead of stick-on external stainless escutcheons. C'mon, Dax, maybe adjust the moulds somewhere in the last 30 years for things like this?

Ah well .. a chance to do more fibreglassing! ;D

It's the same story when you come to fit the inside eyelets for the harnesses - they foul the floorpan fibreglass and the centre tunnel lip. If they just moved the mounting points 'up' the chassis slightly in the jigs, they could save themselves loads of hassle that they surely face every time they assemble a factory car. But no, they just kept cranking them out like that, meaning you have to 'relieve' the floorpan slightly ::)

(OK, they've changed hands twice since I bought mine .. maybe they've fixed that now? But probably not...)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19157 on: 27 September 2019, 09:12:53 »

Coming together nicely  8)

As the saying goes, the Devil is in the detail :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19158 on: 27 September 2019, 12:28:33 »

Aaron has clearly never looked at  a Dutton.
Which are terrible in every aspect of their 'design', 'engineering' and 'build quality'. That's before they were assembled by someone who didn't know which end of the hammer knocks screws in........

What's with the Dremel, grommets and fibreglass? Gnaw off some chequerplate and Sikaflex everything ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19159 on: 27 September 2019, 13:19:01 »

Nice  8)

Just looking at the pics, where does the fuel tank sit on the Dax? The Pilgrim has it central and directly over the rear axle. Also, are you planning on getting everything mounted, get the car IVA'd and then strip it down again for painting?

aaronjb

« Reply #19160 on: 27 September 2019, 14:05:38 »

Nice  8)

Just looking at the pics, where does the fuel tank sit on the Dax? The Pilgrim has it central and directly over the rear axle. Also, are you planning on getting everything mounted, get the car IVA'd and then strip it down again for painting?

The tank on the Dax (and AK, Crendon, etc) is under the boot floor and between the chassis rails - it means you don't have an "original" shaped boot floor (which would have a recess for a spare tyre and/or FIA suitcase) but you do get a nice 13gallon tank and a decent sized boot. The only downside is that it is visible from the back of the car as it extends about 1.5" under the rear valence .. which is why I painted mine black (the second or third time I installed it ;D)

And yeah - I'll probably IVA it in gelcoat .. at least, that way, if I have to change anything for the almost inevitable IVA retest, I'm not doing it to a painted car :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19161 on: 27 September 2019, 17:10:49 »

Hang on! We can't go having kit cars where you don't spend 10 minutes at the pump dribbling the last gallon (= half the capacity!) in. You'll be letting the side down. *  ;D ;D ;D

* -  you won't IMHO, because I reckon you need a breather at each side of the tank to cope with every variant of sloping forecourt. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19162 on: 27 September 2019, 19:06:43 »

just silicone any gaps in the boot and use that as a petrol tank  :y
you'd have enough fuel to get between petrol stations without topping up half way then  :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19163 on: 27 September 2019, 19:54:18 »

Found out my V70 has a child booster seat built into the rear seat armrest.I've only owned the car for just over 3yrs :D Even so it was one of my granddaughters that found it was there :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19164 on: 27 September 2019, 21:09:25 »

Found out my V70 has a child booster seat built into the rear seat armrest.I've only owned the car for just over 3yrs :D Even so it was one of my granddaughters that found it was there :-X
A nice little option on those 8) only down side was you couldn't have heated rear seats and integral boosters... Decisions, decisions  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19165 on: 27 September 2019, 23:06:39 »

Had wet passenger side front and rear carpets, on investigation I found about three inches of water under the plastic trim in the bulkhead. I couldn’t see the grommet but found the bottom of it from underneath and ripped it out, I don’t know if I’ll put it back in it seems like there’s a a snout on it that lets the water out but it obviously wasn’t working, I’ve not had a good look at it yet.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19166 on: 27 September 2019, 23:18:34 »

It easily blocks with dust and leaf mulch. Clean and refit as it reduces the possibility of engine fumes from entering the cabin :y

Also pull the passenger seat and rear base along with the sill trim. Pull the carpet and insulation to dry it out properly... The underlay in the front foot well holds about a gallon of water before it makes the carpet wet.

Refit the passenger seat before switching the ignition on to avoid airbag light issues. Refit the carpet once the underlay has properly dried out :y
« Last Edit: 27 September 2019, 23:21:31 by Doctor Gollum »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19167 on: 27 September 2019, 23:32:53 »

Thanks :y I was going to just whack the heater on full but I suppose there’s no chance of getting rid of a gallon of water!
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19168 on: 28 September 2019, 16:11:08 »

Nope, and it would sit there and slowly rot the floorpan.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19169 on: 28 September 2019, 16:26:45 »

Pulled the engine out of my very first 6 cylinder car I ever owned, Opel Senator 3.0S. Engine off to new home while shell goes for scrap. Sad day, owned since 2000 :'(

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.