Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing CARIN Sat-NAV into Pre & Mini Facel  (Read 12140 times)

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
Installing CARIN Sat-NAV into Pre & Mini Facel
« on: 11 February 2008, 11:56:04 »

The SAT-NAV as factory and dealer fitted was a Phillips/VDO model called the CARIN. There were various revisions of the control unit, detailled here :

http://www.hxs.de/CARiN.htm

The system comprises of a NAV unit (Brain) mounted in the rear of the car, A body loom, a head loom, a monochrome screen, a speaker, a GPS mouse and a joystick remote.

For the purposes of this how-to, I'm working with a SYS-582 unit which came from a 1999 Elite. The procedure I describe here was performed on my January 1999 CDX.

First step is to partially remove the passenger kick panel, this is held in with two torx screws, one visible the other under the door kick plate.
To begin with, just remove the visible screw and wiggle the panel loose. Just above the two large loom connectors you should see a black six hole connector - Jackpot!

This connector carries:
Permanent live; Switched live; illumination; speed pulse; reverse; and speed dependant volume.

If you find this connector is not there, you have two choices, either locate the wires within the large multiplugs and tap in there. Detailed here:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/omega-elite/menupages/omegasatnav/satnav.htm

Personally I would suggest using the radio connections because bar reverse, they are all available there.

Now is a good time to test the system, especially if you sourced it from a breaker or ebay.

Lay the brain in the footwell and connect the two connectors to it, then connect the screen and the remote and the speaker and the gps.
Now carefully strip the end off the brown earth trailing wire you will find located close to where the male 6 pin plug is located on the head loom. Loosen the screw on the door frame for the courtesy light and temporarily fix the earth . Now plug in the six pin plug to the car loom and after about 10 seconds the system should be live.

To test that all the inputs are functioning, put the unit into service mode by selecting service with the joystick and entering 6330 as the code. This will allow you to see realtime that the speed pulse, reverse signal, gps, and illumination are working amognst other things.

Ok so it works? lets fit it!

First remove the radio and climate control panel, there is already an excellent how-to on this site if you haven't already done this.

Now remove the cubby hole to the left of the stereo, this is where the screen fits.

If you look down through the hole where the climate panel was you should be able to see some light in the passenger footwell. This is roughly the point at which the centre console around the gearbox meets the climate and radio console. This is where you are aiming in the next step.

Carefully seperate the body loom from the head loom,
and working from the front of the dash where the screen will live, feed the loom connector down towards the light, it SHOULD actually be quite easy.

Then carefully tape the speaker connector and the remote control connector together and feed these in the same way.

Once all three plugs are lying in the passenger footwell, tie some string around the screen connector (This bit is important because the length of the remote control lead is tight) Now gently pull all the wires through the aperture and towards the footwell, making sure to keep hold of the string !!  ;D Once you have all the wires fully into the footwell, pull the screen connector back up towards you until you have about 3-4 cms of wire and connector hanging out of the dash.

Now put all the climate panel and radio back, remembering to push the screen lead through the correct hole. Once done, connect the screen and push firmly into the dash. Tip -  If your screen connector has broken latches, wind one turn of insulating tape around it before inserting.

Now remove the four philips screws from the armrest cuddy and lift it out. Remove the two rear screws holding the vent assembly for the rear and lift it gently towards the rear seat. (I didn't have to disconnect anything)

Now remove the two silver 10mm bolts behind the hand brake and the tunnel should lift about 25mm, this is enough to fit the joystick.

Remove the hand brake gaiter and identify that the remote sits approximately two thirds of the distance back from the gearstick on the passenger side.

Now fire up that drill with a 30mm hole cutter and make some mess.

Once done feed the remote wire up, under the tunnel and connect the joystick. Seat the joystick in the hole and GENTLY tuck the wiring up under the still loosened tunnel running forward to the corner where the two consoles meet. It will fit, just takes patience.

Peel back the passenger carpet at the front to reveal where the wiring loom passes from the left to the centre of the car and run the remaining loom connectors and speaker connector from the screen through this channel to arrive back in the passenger kick panel.

Once there remove the trim panel that runs along the length of the doors by carefully prising up the vauxhall logos, begin at the edges with a small flat blade screwdriver and they should come loose to reveal some torx screws. Remove all the screws and gently prise away the lower part of the centre pillar trim covering the seat belt. Now lift out the trim panel to reveal the body loom.

Remove the final screw from the passenger kick panel and remove.

« Last Edit: 15 February 2008, 22:06:02 by TheBoy »
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
Re: Installing CARIN Sat-NAV into Pre & Mini Facel
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2008, 12:24:42 »

I did not have a hole cutter big enough for the speaker so I cut a 3.5cm hole in the top left of the kick panel. I then separated the speaker from the grill and placed the front of the speaker on the back of the kick panel, placed the grill over the front of the panel and reversed the metal flanges on the back of the speaker. Now the screws can go through the grill, through the speaker and lock into the metal flanges, Bodgetastic but it worked for me.

Gently inspect the body loom just below the main connectors in the kick panel, you should be able to find a brown earth wire on the top quite easily. Connect the flying brown lead to this lead. I used a scotch-lock for testing purposes  but then soldered as I hate scotch locks.

Connect the nav loom to the head loom, the speaker wires to the speaker and the 6pin multi. Tidy the wires using cable ties so there is no slack. (At this point if you are going to fit the GPS mouse in the standard location under the centre vents, make sure the GPS extension cable is tucked under the carpet but accessible with the kick panel in place) Now replace the passenger kick panel.

Run the nav loom in parallel with the body loom back up the car to the rear seats. Remove the rear seats and the passenger rear side cushion to allow the nav cable to use the exisiting grommet.

The nav unit on the saloon, sits on the passenger side of the car, between the spare wheel and the suspension turret, it is held on a custom bracket bolted to the car body. (Someone help me with pics of it in place??)

I fitted my gps mouse on the rear shelf and just dropped the cable down throught the grommet above with the nav cable and it seems to work fine.

(If you don't have or didn't get a mouse with your kit, they are a bugger to get out and in for that matter, I got one on Ebay for £7.95 delivered. It's an SMB-F connection)

Now replace all the trim you have removed and tidy up.

Now fire up the car and go for a drive:

« Last Edit: 15 February 2008, 22:08:00 by TheBoy »
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.