Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: waiting for AA recovery  (Read 13890 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: waiting for AA recovery
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2018, 11:44:45 »

Wareham to Looe, and back can be done within driving hours... Gatwick to Looe cannot.

Rightly or not, Andy's car will be relayed.

Must say, that I am a bit surprised that the first driver didn't drag the car to Cobham services :-\
He had the bar on and was just about to get me to make a mark on his tablet when the screen went red and vetoed the tow because the Galaxy weighs 1895kg and his towing limit was 2000kg **sigh**

.. which isn't relevant if towing a vehicle to a "safe place" anyway.  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2018, 12:58:23 »

Indeed, you or I could have legally dragged any car off the motorway with a ratchet strap...

Cobham services would have been the next but one exit, so whilst not technically legal, you could reasonably argue that it would have been the most sensible course of action as the services there are 24h, have accommodation and would thereby be the most suitable nearest refuge for a family travelling with small children ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2018, 12:58:48 »

Wareham to Looe, and back can be done within driving hours... Gatwick to Looe cannot.

Must say, that I am a bit surprised that the first driver didn't drag the car to Cobham services :-\

You misread me, DG - the journey home was from Looe to Witham, Essex, which he did in one lump. It certainly saved me petrol!  :)

Ron.
Not legally  ::)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2018, 13:22:53 »

You misread me, DG - the journey home was from Looe to Witham, Essex, which he did in one lump. It certainly saved me petrol!  :)

Ron.

'A few years back' could translate to being before driver's hours regulations coming in to force.  I mean, he is old and senile so yesterday could have been 1974 in his mind :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2018, 13:27:25 »

A mate of mine broke down in his kit car a couple of years back - in Glencoe. A local recovery driver turned up and took him back home to Staines in one hit, then declined a cup of coffee, turned round and drove back!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2018, 13:34:53 »

A mate of mine broke down in his kit car a couple of years back - in Glencoe. A local recovery driver turned up and took him back home to Staines in one hit, then declined a cup of coffee, turned round and drove back!
There's the thing, if the car is light enough to keep the 3.5t flatbed below 3.5t, then you can do this perfectly legally... 
 :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2018, 13:37:57 »

There's the thing, if the car is light enough to keep the 3.5t flatbed below 3.5t, then you can do this perfectly legally... 
Indeed, and the car was a Robin Hood so probably sub-600kg. I have a recollection that what turned up was a double car job with a crew cab, though, so likely 7.5t.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2018, 13:51:13 »

Ron.

'A few years back' could translate to being before driver's hours regulations coming in to force.  I mean, he is old and senile so yesterday could have been 1974 in his mind :D

I do mean just a few years back and it was a small recovery vehicle with just room in the cab for me and SHMBO and similarly just room for my car on the back.
However, I don't apprecaite the "old and senile" insult, thanks.

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2018, 15:27:31 »

Ron.

I do mean just a few years back and it was a small recovery vehicle with just room in the cab for me and SHMBO and similarly just room for my car on the back.
However, I don't apprecaite the "old and senile" insult, thanks.

Ron.

Would you like a tissue?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2018, 17:34:11 »

I'm glad you're back safely Andy H :y.  Mrs TB tells me it was stressful when we broke down in France. Me, being me, was unconcerned, and I told her not to worry, and as soon as we get home, you'll tell people, and find its realtively common.  She still reminds me frequently that she is yet to meet anyone else who has broken down abroad, and had to come home in a hire car.

Now you just have the worries about the car getting back - not that I expect any issues, but its worrying none the less.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2018, 20:12:57 »

Broke down in Ilfracombe when i had my Mk3 Granny (radiator let go). Local dealers in Barnstable didn,t have one so was driven back on a transporter with a crew cab as there were four of us. He drove us from North Devon to Bury St.Eds, dropped car off and went straight back :o. Not only that, he dropped Mum and Dad off in Haverhill too. Think my old man gave him 20quid which was a fair bit in those days, He was supposed to be riding at a Moto cross meeting so that really screwed up his weekend. Nice guy too. :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2018, 21:45:10 »

I'm glad you're back safely Andy H :y.  Mrs TB tells me it was stressful when we broke down in France. Me, being me, was unconcerned, and I told her not to worry, and as soon as we get home, you'll tell people, and find its realtively common.  She still reminds me frequently that she is yet to meet anyone else who has broken down abroad, and had to come home in a hire car.

Now you just have the worries about the car getting back - not that I expect any issues, but its worrying none the less.
Thanks  TB
Just had a call to say that the thing is now in Plymouth and should be delivered within the hour.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2018, 22:00:37 »

It illustrates the value of breakdown cover. Glad you got back home safe and sound . :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2018, 22:27:24 »

Thanks to everyone for wishing us well.

The Galaxy has returned.

The local garage are booked up solid until next week so I suppose I am going to have to fix it  :( (and rediscover the sad truth that 50% of the bolts on a VAG TDi are B-starred-bolts >:(

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2018, 03:37:59 »

Add to that Recovery vehicles used to be Tacho exempt and its easy enough to do long recoveries in the old days... I did my fair share :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.