Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing rear caliper dust seals - possible in situ?  (Read 918 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

Since discovering one rear caliper is lacking its dust seals, I intend on replacing them. Is it a particularly tricky job, and can it be done without removing the calipers from the car?

If so, current plan of action is to "cycle" the pistons, by working them out, cleaning them up, applying the red grease, then pushing them in, and repeating until its a nice smooth action. At what point should the seals be replaced? Before or after the cycling?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing rear caliper dust seals - possible in situ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2015, 22:25:57 »

I would say you need to take the calipers off the car so you can be sure the dust seal fits all the way round the lip on the caliper, there will be very little room to work with the disc being in there.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2015, 13:12:30 »

Dont think you've any chance of getting the new seals on in situ. I'd say best best if you're looking at replacing/servicing the seals and the calipers as a whole is to get the caliper off, and give it a full clean up, service, paint, the lot, then you know it's good for a long time - at least as long as the last time it was in pieces (ie: in Russelsheim some time 12+ years ago)

Sounds a lot of aggro, but I did it on my fronts, and not that bad - if you've got the luxury of car off the road for a few days/another car to drive. Recommend it to anyone.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2015, 13:20:20 »

That's the plan for the future - I was hoping to do a quick job for now, then do all four when Ive got a couple of days... Along with the suspension, and donuts.

Will have to spread it over a couple of evenings instead... Ta chaps!
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2015, 13:29:51 »

Good on you for wanting to do the job proper  :) To be honest I'd be tempted in your case (as myself is in a similar boat, my dust seals are dry, cracked and not really functional) to, upon dismantling, inspect the piston, and replace if showing signs of corrosion affecting the sliding surface.

Pistons are relatively inexpensive even if bought new, and practically free if got off a low mileage example on here. Just think how many breakers on here have sent calipers to be cubed, they're not in demand, and hence pretty cheap.  Also they're the sort of thing you can pump out at a scrappy (I have) and get charged all of a quid or two for.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.