Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear pads  (Read 3850 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: Rear pads
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2019, 00:08:22 »

Rear brakes started horrible metal on metal noise today. I replaced the whole system 20k ago. I expected to get more out of them than that. There is some scoring on discs as I was on a long trip home. Will I get away with new pads only. Anyway I need the part number for pads. The search brings up two different numbers. Which is correct.  What is difference as they both appear to be same. 9192126n or 9195058. They are vented but I thought they were common. Many thanks

Indeed that is very low mileage from my experience. :o :o 

Bad driving (sorry!!), poor quality pads, or a mechanical fault / fitting error would/could be a reason for it. ;)
Piffle...

If you drive a 2.6/3.2 like a idiott, then the TC hammers the rear pads.
                Fair play I didn’t know that.
Laying a rubber road.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2019, 07:57:48 »

In 8yrs of owning this omega I've only seen the TC light operate once and that was on snow/ice.I've had my licence a long time and it's an old friend that I quite like the idea of keeping hold of.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2019, 09:39:10 »

In 8yrs of owning this omega I've only seen the TC light operate once and that was on snow/ice.I've had my licence a long time and it's an old friend that I quite like the idea of keeping hold of.

Exactly right Baza, same with me and I do not have brake wear problems that 'the boys' on here seem to have ::) ::) ::)

But, I suppose, excusing you Baza, boys will be boys and not only burn their brakes but also burn their tyres, and I have known those individuals in business when the business is paying!! :o :o :o :D :D ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2019, 10:54:03 »

In 14 years of Omega ownership, I've only ever fitted 2 sets of rear pads.

1 set in the 2.2 and 1 set in the 3.2, put new ones in 3.2 about 4 years go, still plenty of meat on them.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2019, 11:13:14 »

I've had rear pad fitting issues on carltons (which are effectively the same set up ,obviously not vented like 2.6/3.2)
comparing the new and old pads ,the holes for the pins where slightly off  ???
when fitting pads, its important to spend time cleaning up where the pads go ,pins etc ,and checking the new pads move freely, sometimes I have to file the edges slightly (paint or bad machining )
If you want brakes that work, you can't just shove new pads in , you need to spend a little time cleaning everything  and getting them to fit.
which applies to all cars
JM2PW

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2019, 12:09:48 »

In 14 years of Omega ownership, I've only ever fitted 2 sets of rear pads.

1 set in the 2.2 and 1 set in the 3.2, put new ones in 3.2 about 4 years go, still plenty of meat on them.
Not exactly a fair measure... You don't do that much mileage, and when you do, you're not exactly known for driving* the car...

10k is reasonable for a set of pads (front or rear) on a properly driven 3.2.

*sticking it in drive and releasing the handbrake doesn't count.
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2019, 18:07:07 »

While I don't exactly dawdle I don't tear about like I'm trying to win the F1 championship either! Driving with anticipation and letting the engine/gearbox do some of the slowing down I find means you don't have to hammer the brakes to stop.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 03 July 2019, 18:21:56 »

Both my front and rears have done 50K.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 July 2019, 18:31:11 »

While I don't exactly dawdle I don't tear about like I'm trying to win the F1 championship either! Driving with anticipation and letting the engine/gearbox do some of the slowing down I find means you don't have to hammer the brakes to stop.

I was told brakes are cheaper than gearboxes.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 July 2019, 18:41:08 »

The key word was anticipation. Paying attention to what's going on around you means you don't go speeding up to traffic/junctions/whatever that you should have spotted 1/4 mile earlier. That makes you car last longer which costs less, reduces your chances of crashing, and means your passengers don't moan at you.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2019, 13:05:09 »

That is how I drove with a manual, until I was instructed by a police Advanced and Pursuit driver on how they drive! :o :o :o :o

Totally different, and can be quite frightening! :D :D ;)

You would not want their maintenance bills!! :o :o :o
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 13:09:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2019, 13:29:02 »

Tyres and pads every 5k :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2019, 13:31:36 »

The key word was anticipation. Paying attention to what's going on around you means you don't go speeding up to traffic/junctions/whatever that you should have spotted 1/4 mile earlier. That makes you car last longer which costs less, reduces your chances of crashing, and means your passengers don't moan at you.

Except most of the traffic lights round here have magnetic/induction sensors buried in the road - usually 3 sets at about a 10yard spacing. The sooner you get over the first sensor, the sooner the lights will change. So modus operandi is charge up to the first sensor at warp factor 9, then stand on the anchors to stop before the white line.

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2019, 14:31:29 »

Now I know you are all waiting an update. After stripping three pads hadn’t worn at all. The one offending pad had no friction material!  Maybe it detached and then fell apart. All were hard to remove so I gave the calipers a good clean up. The new ones move freely now. Thanks again. Until the next time.  I think it might be the old girls last year.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2019, 14:41:38 »

Now I know you are all waiting an update. After stripping three pads hadn’t worn at all. The one offending pad had no friction material!  Maybe it detached and then fell apart. All were hard to remove so I gave the calipers a good clean up. The new ones move freely now. Thanks again. Until the next time.  I think it might be the old girls last year.

Good news!! 8) :y

There you go, they had not worn at the speed others thought was perfectly possible!  It WAS some form of material or fitting fault.  Just shows how "things" can happen on our cars! :o :o ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.