Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: C30NE Setting camshaft and distributor timing  (Read 7237 times)

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
C30NE Setting camshaft and distributor timing
« on: 22 October 2014, 22:02:09 »

hi guys,
i have a C30NE engine (12V) and i would like to clarify the correct timing of this engine, should the crank rotation sensor should line up with the region of the crank pully (that has the gear like notches) where it is missing a notch, ie a space where there should have been 2 notches/ teeth, and #1 piston at TDC and the distributor rotor has a notch on the tip of the rotor should line up with a notch on the distributor housing in the region of #1 cylinder spark plug wire.

currently the crank rotation sensor lines up with the crank pully (region that misses a notch) when the distributor rotor points to # 5 cylinder spark plug wire...  the engine starts and runs (easy for a Motronic 1.5 system that pulses the injectors in banks: 1+2+3 together then 4+5+6 together and the coil sends the spark respective of engine RPM which the rotor directs to the appropriate spark plug... when revved, it revvs well, but when held at a constant revv above idle, there is a serious missfire problem with rather frequent exhaust backfires,  the oxygen sensor signal fluctuates from 0.18V to 0.89 V, the engine idles smoothly, spark plugs were checked for spark (injectors unclipped, plugs put onto plug wires and the engine cranked), plugs cleaned with carb cleaner and gap set to 0.035" and reinstalled), fuel pressure was not checked (awaiting delivery of a fuel pressure testing kit), though has battery voltage at the pump +ve terminal

does any one have access to a workshop manual on setting the timing correctly???

regards
R-vin
R-vin

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: C30NE Setting camshaft and distributor timing
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2014, 22:59:21 »

Unfortunately the Omega B doesn't use a straight 6 like your Omega A (called a Carlton over here) ......

I'll try to dig my Carlton/Senator Haynes manual out for you,  ;)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2014, 23:01:49 »

Unfortunately the Omega B doesn't use a straight 6 like your Omega A (called a Carlton over here) ......

I had a look for mine, and for some reason, she thought it would be better off at a Car Boot Sale a couple of years ago.

I'll admit, I've not needed it for those couple of years, but.... when you need it, it's gone. For 20p, probably.  >:(
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2014, 23:08:21 »

try vodc site or total carlton site.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2014, 09:03:51 »

The first part you described regarding,distributor and the notches is correct,crank should be at tdc, the cam pulley has a dot which lines up with splash guard, could be 180• out.

All this is from memory,so please check first :)
Hoof'land storeman.

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2014, 11:43:54 »

I had a look for mine, and for some reason, she thought it would be better off at a Car Boot Sale a couple of years ago.

I'll admit, I've not needed it for those couple of years, but.... when you need it, it's gone. For 20p, probably.  >:(

hey, these things happen, and a fact about life  :'(, when you actually need something, its gone..... for the brasil market, not many Ω were sold, mainly being because of the cost>>> mostly upper class purchases, when the internet became well known here and the population realises that everything is outdated by 10 to 20 years, these Ω went up for sale for market value, middle and lower class made purchases of these used cars, most fell by the way side, crashed, siezed in police road blocks (unpaid fines), the real killer was lack of trained mechanics to perform repairs on these cars (compared to the popular VW beatle) ???,
i was lucky to find an Ω / carlton estate in good appearance, but soon i realised it lacked maintenance because the previous owner was afraid to take it to any garage because of the mechanics...  i`m sure the engine timing i currently have is because of one of these mechanics >:(.....  luckly the BOSCH Motronic 1.5 is not a modern EFI system that pulses the injectors in the firing order sequence,  hence the engine starts and runs, idles smoothly..... 
i`ll hold on for any confirmation before going into the engine... 
thanks buddy
R-vin
R-vin

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2014, 11:54:58 »

try vodc site or total carlton site.  :y

hey, checking the totalcarlton site did mention about the engine timing, however it referred to a member for details, unfortunately totalcarlton rejected my application for membership, hence contacting this member is not an option... does any one have membership? can send a technical request for me?

my engine has #1 TDC and the distributor rotor pointing toward #1 spark plug wire (and the notch on the distributor body lines up), will confirm if it is on the compression stroke thou... and what i would like to confirm is the correct position of the crank pulley >> the reluctor ring (teethed ring), should the part missing a tooth line up with the crank rotation sensor??? if so mine probably is 180° out, being BOSCH Motronic 1.5 that pulses the injectors in banks, the simplest fix would be to interchange the injector banks??? if so i can make up a piggy back injector harness (splice the injector wires and add extensions and connectors to reach the correct injectors)....

Ω 4 life
R-vin
R-vin

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2014, 12:26:21 »

If you can wait until tonight I'll scan in the relevant pages of the Haynes manual as apdf document and e-mail then to you :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2014, 13:37:40 »

My last Senator died because the crankshaft position sensor toothed wheel was drifting. The previous owner had the cam belt chain changed. The cambelt chain bottom sprocket shares a long woodruff key with the CPS wheel, and the CPS sprocket is on the very end. Some how the CPS wheel was not firmly locked to the crankshaft, so the timing slowly drifted. It took me months to locate the fault, then I could not get off the locating nut. I scrapped the car.

I do not think there is any adjustment available to you. However, the timing could be wrong if the woodruff key is not engaged with the CPS wheel.

I still have a Haynes manual for the Carlton/Senator if it's any use to you.

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2014, 17:11:58 »

much appreciated.... any tech support/ experience/ "try this" is always welcome...

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
R-vin

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2014, 17:25:47 »

hi guys,
i have a C30NE engine (12V) and i would like to clarify the correct timing of this engine, should the crank rotation sensor should line up with the region of the crank pully (that has the gear like notches) where it is missing a notch, ie a space where there should have been 2 notches/ teeth, and #1 piston at TDC and the distributor rotor has a notch on the tip of the rotor should line up with a notch on the distributor housing in the region of #1 cylinder spark plug wire.

currently the crank rotation sensor lines up with the crank pully (region that misses a notch) when the distributor rotor points to # 5 cylinder spark plug wire...  the engine starts and runs (easy for a Motronic 1.5 system that pulses the injectors in banks: 1+2+3 together then 4+5+6 together and the coil sends the spark respective of engine RPM which the rotor directs to the appropriate spark plug... when revved, it revvs well, but when held at a constant revv above idle, there is a serious missfire problem with rather frequent exhaust backfires,  the oxygen sensor signal fluctuates from 0.18V to 0.89 V, the engine idles smoothly, spark plugs were checked for spark (injectors unclipped, plugs put onto plug wires and the engine cranked), plugs cleaned with carb cleaner and gap set to 0.035" and reinstalled), fuel pressure was not checked (awaiting delivery of a fuel pressure testing kit), though has battery voltage at the pump +ve terminal

does any one have access to a workshop manual on setting the timing correctly???

regards
R-vin

hey guys, i made a mistake (was with the significant other while checking this, i should have gotten out from below the car to check for my self) when i said that the crank pully notch was on # 5 cylinder, re checked it this morning, with assistance of an experienced mechanic...  the notch on the CPS wheel/crank pully lines up with the #3 spark plug with #1 cylinder not at TDC,
i went below again while the mechanic checked the proper TDC position of #1 cylinder...  he showed me that the rotor groove in the middle does not line up with the notch on the distributor housing....  in clockwise rotation, the notch on the distributor housing was infront of the rotor notch, actually futher ahead than the rotor tip.....
i have a new question, can the distributor be rotated on the engine, or will i have to remove it and try to engage it to the crank shaft in the correct position....

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
R-vin

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2014, 17:27:12 »

much appreciated,  my email is  arvineharry@hotmail.com 

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
R-vin

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2014, 17:30:38 »

If you can wait until tonight I'll scan in the relevant pages of the Haynes manual as apdf document and e-mail then to you :y

hey, thanks a lot buddy, i always got time.... to have my Ω running gr8 , there is always time...

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
R-vin

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2014, 17:43:22 »

My last Senator died because the crankshaft position sensor toothed wheel was drifting. The previous owner had the cam belt chain changed. The cambelt chain bottom sprocket shares a long woodruff key with the CPS wheel, and the CPS sprocket is on the very end. Some how the CPS wheel was not firmly locked to the crankshaft, so the timing slowly drifted. It took me months to locate the fault, then I could not get off the locating nut. I scrapped the car.

I do not think there is any adjustment available to you. However, the timing could be wrong if the woodruff key is not engaged with the CPS wheel.

I still have a Haynes manual for the Carlton/Senator if it's any use to you.

I had a buddy that experienced a similar problem with the woodruff key, we did a bit of MaCgyver on the car... drilled into the keway a bit with a bit just bigger than the key, then hammered in the shank end of the drill bit and grinded off the excess.... worked till the head gasket blew and he changed the engine..

about the manual, i currently reside in brasil, what cost would i incur for purchase and shipping to brasil? 

not too long ago i purchased a china clone of an Opel sacnner and a 10pin to 16pin adapter cable, took over 3 1/2 months to get to my door (brasil customs).... just saying, this is pretty normal here, and after the long wait, the scanner could not communicate with my car... from internet searches, found the procedure for checking engine codes and the auto tranny codes.... still could not find for the ABS system (though 1 manual specified bridging A to K in the ALDL connector, unfortunately my car does not have pins E, J and K.)

will be looking into this woodruff key some time soon... hopefully this is not the case...

regards
R-vin
R-vin

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2014, 22:42:47 »

Mine was a 24 valve car, your's is a 12 valve. The 12 valve had a duplex chain drive to the camshaft, and failures of duplex chains were unknown, therefore no chains changed, so no chance of woodruff key damage.

I will check out the weight of the Haynes book and advise cost of postage. I don't want anything for it.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.