Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: What car should I buy?  (Read 26096 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: What car should I buy?
« Reply #45 on: 18 October 2018, 10:42:39 »

A lot to be said of cheaper bangers. Always wonder what I’d do if lost 3.2, enjoyed drive home tonight in it.

As Omega is in short supply, if I lost 3.2 tomorrow, I’d strongly look at BMW 530i in E39 shape, plenty about!

RWD, autos plentiful and smooth effortless power.

Makes sense to me have spent silly money on cars in the past " Bangernomics" makes sense to me £5000 spent on a vehicle if I get 5 years use out of it I'm more than happy.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 October 2018, 13:06:05 »

Petrol Astra H’s if you’re going for something cheaper.

If you’re after something newer I can’t recommend more the Hyundai i30. Wife’s is 15 plate 1.4. Bloody love it
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 October 2018, 13:52:54 »

Mrs Builder had an Hyundai Elantra when I met her, parts where expensive .everything rusted between fettling intervals .
It was made clear that she would need to swap brand to vauxhall before I alowed her to marry me  :y
the in-laws still have a santa fe , because they drag a tin shed around the country quite often ,they have it repaired elsewhere at great expense as it does not meet the requirements of my Vauxhall family care service/repair criteria  ;D

petrol astra H are a good choice agreed , if it must be petrol , the astra H design 1.7 cdti tractor juice edition estate my brother is running is saving him quite a chunk of cash on fuel .
also, in true "bangernomics" style, you should not rule out the older astra G platform IF purchased cheapy with long MOT,no major issues .
a sub £500 car with 12 months mot is £10 a week and you'll still claw back scrap value £100+ IF the next MOT is untenable .
also if vauxhall 5 stud 5x110 you could save wheels/tyres off the doomed omega ,depending on what vaux you go for

or get that clutch swapped  ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 October 2018, 14:37:38 »

If Astra G check them front brake pipes from the flexis that snake up the chassis rail
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2018, 17:50:41 »

I’m so glad I live nowhere near London ;).

Erm.. you live precisely in prime commuter district for London, last time I checked! ;D
Too far for me. Plus it smells. And after every visit to said shithole, I'm pulling enough coal from my nostrils to power Drax.

Oh shit, remind me where I've been all day. Just to enter 8 bloody IPs only 8 devices, grrrrrr.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #50 on: 18 October 2018, 18:40:41 »

Oh shit, remind me where I've been all day. Just to enter 8 bloody IPs only 8 devices, grrrrrr.

;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 October 2018, 21:35:02 »

Mrs Builder had an Hyundai Elantra .....

Mrs B used to have one when they were were just a Lantra & I can vouch for the expensive parts ..... though she liked it cos it was purple  ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 October 2018, 00:36:56 »

Mrs B used to have one when they were were just a Lantra & I can vouch for the expensive parts ..... though she liked it cos it was purple  ;D ;D
That's alright then :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 October 2018, 01:05:46 »

Lucky you  :)
so you can buy her any car you like and just rattle can paint it purple and she's happy  :D ;D

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 October 2018, 07:49:57 »

Mrs Builder had an Hyundai Elantra when I met her, parts where expensive .everything rusted between fettling intervals .
It was made clear that she would need to swap brand to vauxhall before I alowed her to marry me  :y
the in-laws still have a santa fe , because they drag a tin shed around the country quite often ,they have it repaired elsewhere at great expense as it does not meet the requirements of my Vauxhall family care service/repair criteria  ;D

petrol astra H are a good choice agreed , if it must be petrol , the astra H design 1.7 cdti tractor juice edition estate my brother is running is saving him quite a chunk of cash on fuel .
also, in true "bangernomics" style, you should not rule out the older astra G platform IF purchased cheapy with long MOT,no major issues .
a sub £500 car with 12 months mot is £10 a week and you'll still claw back scrap value £100+ IF the next MOT is untenable .
also if vauxhall 5 stud 5x110 you could save wheels/tyres off the doomed omega ,depending on what vaux you go for

Astra Gs are tough little things. I'd choose one over the H mainly because it's electronically much simpler.

I think the floorpan is the same as the H as I've found many fixed length parts like hoses and links are interchangeable. Some people find the Astra G seats a bit uncomfortable. Easy swap with the H seats which are much more supportive.

The CDTis weak point is emissions. Even with proper hard use the inlet manifold gunges up. Mapping out the EGR as you can't just blank it, cleans up the smoke test and ensures a good safe MOT pass.

Both of mine, 1 petrol, 1 diesel barely cost £500 between them and have cost about the same over the years to put into good condition.

They are small, light and simple to work on so seem perfect for home maintenance.

aaronjb

« Reply #55 on: 19 October 2018, 08:42:11 »

Lucky you  :)
so you can buy her any car you like and just rattle can paint it purple and she's happy  :D ;D

There's a box. You are thinking outside of it. ;D ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 October 2018, 20:51:06 »

Are you saying my Omega wheels will fit the Astra G?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 October 2018, 21:01:07 »

Most Astra Gs had 4 stud hubs ...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 October 2018, 21:33:56 »

NO.

True, they might bolt on, but the offsets are VERY different. The only VX cars that the Omega wheels fit are Omegas and Carltons, so either keep them as spares for the other Omegas or pop them on ebay/here... :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 October 2018, 21:35:09 »

Most Astra Gs had 4 stud hubs ...
Looking at brake discs for Astra H they are for 5 stub hubs. Perhaps Omega wheels would fit an Astra H (2004-2009).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.