Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: That was dreadful !  (Read 13267 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: That was dreadful !
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2018, 12:16:03 »

Mat Watson from Carwow owns an early  MX5 with a supercharger. I believe he said it made 220 BHP.

There was a video drag race between it, the latest M3, and a couple of other cars. Can't recall how it went.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 September 2018, 12:25:36 »

My mistake....not an M3 in sight.

The little MX5 does well though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zj5gY9RXnU

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2018, 12:39:34 »

I've always fancied a rotary engined MX-5 myself. I reckon that'd be great fun.  8) (In-between tip seal changes, natch)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2018, 12:47:30 »

I've always fancied a rotary engined MX-5 myself. I reckon that'd be great fun.  8) (In-between tip seal changes, natch)

My wife briefly owned an RX8 40th anniversary model (2008)  but found it too quirky for regular use. It handled well on smooth surfaces but on bumpy roads it was all over the place.

Strange engine that seemed devoid of all torque, although with a claimed 230 BHP it was quite nippy when wound up........13 MPG. :)

Never flooded it though. :y

Man who bought it came all the way from the tip of Scotland. He paid for a compression test which came out at seven point something.

« Last Edit: 19 September 2018, 12:51:43 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 September 2018, 16:23:18 »

MX5 is a hoot to drive, and quite nice in a tail out scenario.  And its all low speed fun as well :y.

It lacks power (big time), and obviously has an image problem, but that doesn't make it boring.

Not tried a new one, but suspect the weight has ballooned and the power sapped, which would be a crying shame.  Esp as all the old ones have rusted away.

Early MR2s are almost as much fun

Not long ago I mentioned to my local mechanic that I quite fancied an MX5.

"Ever sat in one" ? he asked. I hadn't. He had one in for repairs. I needed a shoehorn and grease to get in. So, that was that

I now have an irrational urge for a Crossfire. Quite cheap these days. Ugly b****rds, but so what  ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #50 on: 19 September 2018, 16:27:16 »

MX5 is a hoot to drive, and quite nice in a tail out scenario.  And its all low speed fun as well :y.

It lacks power (big time), and obviously has an image problem, but that doesn't make it boring.

Not tried a new one, but suspect the weight has ballooned and the power sapped, which would be a crying shame.  Esp as all the old ones have rusted away.

"Ever sat in one" ? he asked. I hadn't. He had one in for repairs. I needed a shoehorn and grease to get in. So, that was that

I now have an irrational urge for a Crossfire. Quite cheap these days. Ugly b****rds, but so what  ::)
It will pass, Rog. Let's face it, you'd look a tool in it, wouldn't you?  ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 September 2018, 16:45:56 »

It will pass, Rog. Let's face it, you'd look a tool in it, wouldn't you?  ;D

Absolutely. I did consider a McLaren, but I probably wouldn't fit in that either   ;D

However, just remembered that we inherited a Toyota iQ. Possibly one of the smallest cars ever, and I can sit in it no problem. Bugger !
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 September 2018, 17:18:55 »

The bloke I bought my 3.0l Omega engine and manual box from was intending to put it in an MX5, which seems like a good idea to me. Or it would, if turbos and supercharger conversions weren't so easy. And the MX5 is the car that the wankel engine should been fitted to, not the RX8.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 September 2018, 17:45:55 »

Yes.....you've made me remember that I had a sit in one at a Mazda dealer. Cramped is an understatement.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 September 2018, 17:47:32 »

Resembles a dog taking a dump in side profile. :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 September 2018, 18:54:05 »

Coupe not pretty but convertible much better looking :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 19 September 2018, 19:46:06 »

No, that's the insignia.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 September 2018, 22:58:16 »

No, that's the insignia.

Doesn't the Insignia have more in common with the steaming richard the dog has just deposited? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 20 September 2018, 14:24:32 »

No, that's the insignia.

Doesn't the Insignia have more in common with the steaming richard the dog has just deposited? ;D

I don't think the Insignia is quite as attractive or fragrant as your description suggests, Kevin.

The good news is this makes the model undesirable and therefore inexpensive. :y

Being blind would also help but this may cause problems for other drivers. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 September 2018, 14:56:54 »

No, that's the insignia.

I don't think the Insignia is quite as attractive or fragrant as your description suggests, Kevin.

The good news is this makes the model undesirable and therefore inexpensive. :y

Being blind would also help but this may cause problems for other drivers. :)

True enough, and, in this automotive desert, that might make it worthy of consideration as an Omega successor if nothing else floats my boat by then. After all, you don't have to look at the @rse end of it from the driver's seat. ;)

If only I were worthy of even aspiring to Signum ownership. :(

;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.