Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Waste disposal when we were young  (Read 4196 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Waste disposal when we were young
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2018, 14:42:17 »

Yep,empty milk bottles rinsed and left on the doorstep to be collected next day,empty pop bottles and jam jars returned to shop for a refund bin men who actually collected and returned your bin instead of expecting you to do half their job for them.Paper/cardboard used as fire lighters.But I suppose many[like myself]had parents who had not long before come through a world war where "waste not want not"was a necessity of life.Nothing to do with recycling but do you remember the roads being gritted by standing in the back of the truck and shovelling the road salt out?can't see there being many takers for that job these days!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2018, 16:07:27 »

Technically, there's supposed to be an access route across the terrace for this reason, although they would now struggle to get past next doors shed ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2018, 19:25:42 »

When I was young the bin man was invariably a wiry Glaswegian stinking of booze with a woodbine between his lips. He would throw the bin over his shoulder before dumping the contents into a dustcart like the one described by Lizzie.

Yep, that is the scene I witnessed once a week. Cannot imagine a dustman slinging a wheeler bin over his shoulder these days.  H&S have banned it! ::) ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2018, 19:28:17 »

When I was young the bin man was invariably a wiry Glaswegian stinking of booze with a woodbine between his lips. He would throw the bin over his shoulder before dumping the contents into a dustcart like the one described by Lizzie.

Yep, that is the scene I witnessed once a week. Cannot imagine a dustman slinging a wheeler bin over his shoulder these days.  H&S have banned it! ::) ;D ;D ;)
Try telling that to ours who insist on hand balling all the bags out of every other wheelie bin so that they have less bins to walk 3 feet to the bin wagon ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2018, 11:00:11 »

I recall bin liners provided by the council, you put that in your council supplied bin and filled it.

Then two guys used to collect the bin bags from the bins and place at the end of the drive, shortly after the dust cart (which was smaller than those today) used to come around and chuck them in the back, occasionally pressing the button which activated the big metal scraper that pulled the pile of bags inside.

That said, thanks to the wheelie bin, I did manage to dispose of an A series engine block, carefully placed towards the wheels of the bin so it was not obvious when you wheeled it about. The lift on the back of the lorry struggled more than usual that day and there was a hell of a dong as it crashed into the back of the lorry.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 October 2018, 11:26:39 »

That said, thanks to the wheelie bin, I did manage to dispose of an A series engine block, carefully placed towards the wheels of the bin so it was not obvious when you wheeled it about. The lift on the back of the lorry struggled more than usual that day and there was a hell of a dong as it crashed into the back of the lorry.

;D

I thought I was doing well having got rid of a wash basin that I'd broken into a few pieces. Tried the "waste recycling centre" but they wanted money off me as it was "soil and rubble", apparently. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 October 2018, 14:20:49 »

Most of the internals off a straight six diesel went in my wheelie bin, though not the block or head, as they wouldn't fit with a fortnights worth of rubbish, and the block in particular weighed more than RMS Titanic.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 October 2018, 15:55:49 »

Dust Carts, you late for work, hit that little short cut Oneway back street to overcome the traffic, and there they are in the middle of the road with there flashing Hazards on         ......and theres nothing you can do about it, I hate hate them with passion.  >:( >:(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 October 2018, 17:22:33 »

Most of the internals off a straight six diesel went in my wheelie bin, though not the block or head, as they wouldn't fit with a fortnights worth of rubbish, and the block in particular weighed more than RMS Titanic.

I've a mate who disposed of a whole crossflow in the wheelie bin, apparently there was a bit of a bang as it emptied into the dustcart ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 October 2018, 19:13:57 »

Dust Carts, you late for work, hit that little short cut Oneway back street to overcome the traffic, and there they are in the middle of the road with there flashing Hazards on         ......and theres nothing you can do about it, I hate hate them with passion.  >:( >:(

When Im on my way home from work on Monday mornings at the end of a run of nights, the bin lorry is always blocking the road no more than 100 yards from my house. Driven flat out to get home in under half an hour, and then the final 100 yards takes 10 minutes.
My mood then is a good reason why guns shouldn't be allowed in this country !
« Last Edit: 09 October 2018, 19:15:54 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 October 2018, 21:36:10 »

Mate of mine is a bin man and went to pull a wheely bin one morning, it felt a bit heavy so he had the customary peep inside, to be met with the sight of a massive and very dead german shepherd  :o
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2018, 23:35:47 »

Mate of mine is a bin man and went to pull a wheely bin one morning, it felt a bit heavy so he had the customary peep inside, to be met with the sight of a massive and very dead german shepherd  :o

And he knew he was a german shepard where he was wearing traditional Bavarian dress and had a crook in his hand. ::) :o :P ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2018, 00:01:46 »

When I was a child it was a galvanised dustbin that the dustman walked up to drive to collect from by the back door and as he emptied the contents into the back of the dust cart during the winter it was accompanied by the cloud of coal fire ash.

Packaging was very different. When I used to go to the local provisions shop with my nan all the groceries were outside, the weighed potatoes would be emptied straight from the brass pan into the shopping bag and the same for other bulk items with smaller items going into paper bags. When the weight was not exact the grocer would mentally calculate the price and write it in pencil on a slip in s,d and then at the end of the order total them up in seconds. You would then go into the shop hand over the slip order the other items like ham from the joint which was cut on an electric slicer then wrapped in greaseproof paper and likewise cheese from the block using a cheese wire and also wrapped in greaseproof paper. You were then presented with the grand total wich was rung into the mechanical till and paid for.

Supermarkets and conformity standards for ease of display on the supermarket shelves have transformed packaging along with anti-tamper since some criminals in the 1990's added glass, pins etc into food products and tried to hold the supermarkets to ransom. I remember the first shop that opened in Queensmead, Farnborough, the first supermarket I visited Fine Fare.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2018, 00:49:46 »

Tell us half a story!  ::)  What did he do next?  ???

a) Shrug and sling Rex the dead dog in the back of the dustcart?
b) Do the 'right thing' and report the householders for inappropriate waste disposal?
c) Leave Rex resting in peace in his wheelie bin, but with the addition of a big sticker on the lid telling the householders that they can't put dead dogs in the wheelie bin?
d) Call out the RSPCA?
e) Sell Rex to the nearest Chinese takeaway?

;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2018, 19:28:42 »

Tell us half a story!  ::)  What did he do next?  ???

a) Shrug and sling Rex the dead dog in the back of the dustcart?
b) Do the 'right thing' and report the householders for inappropriate waste disposal?
c) Leave Rex resting in peace in his wheelie bin, but with the addition of a big sticker on the lid telling the householders that they can't put dead dogs in the wheelie bin?
d) Call out the RSPCA?
e) Sell Rex to the nearest Chinese takeaway?

;D
Korean. FTFY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.