Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust  (Read 2063 times)

STMO123

Rust
« on: 12 August 2006, 21:35:24 »

I was giving the car a wash this afternoon. I had a good look round and I cant see any rust spots at all. Not even a tiny one in the usual places.Now I've heard some horror stories from people with newer cars than mine and the fact that it is rust free is nothing to do with me-just pure luck I guess.
The thing is, a daft question I suppose, but worth asking, is there anything I can use to keep it that way?
It looks great and still makes me smile when the sun is shining on it. I know, saddo :)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rust
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2006, 22:29:57 »

Waxoyl!  :)

It is generally viewed to be the best way to protect things.

I think a Waxoyl application guide would be a good idea (anyone?).

Other good thing to do is clean the car regularly to stop build up of crud.

The Administrator.

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2006, 19:06:40 »

I understood waxoyl was a protection for the underside,brake pipes,etc. I am more concerned about the crusty brown stuff that eventually appears from beneath rubber door seals and from under sill plates.

Shall I have it dipped in an industrial sized bath of wax? ;D

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2006, 19:43:15 »

Waxoyl is good for most areas that are potential water traps. After all, stop the water getting in and stop the rust coming out :)

a few people i know who use vehicles for selling fish etc from; fill up the chasis legs etc to stop the rot from starting by keeping any moisture out. Expensive initially but effective!
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 19:44:26 by salty »

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2006, 19:46:09 »

Do omegas rot away more quickly in Fleetwood, Salty? ;D

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2006, 20:29:10 »

Near the sea mate, everthing rots quickly ;D

Don't think it's much worse than anywhere else but it can't help :(

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2006, 22:17:59 »

i have waxoiled my cav convertible, was a pain of a job to do but it only needs doing the once...

did the inside of the doors, chassis legs, sills, the joints between the inner and outer arches and all the box section i could access.....

only thing i would suggest is do it on a warm day, the waxoil is easier to apply, if you do it when it is cold it is recommended to use thinners to water it down a bit

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2006, 08:13:57 »

Also make sure everything you apply it to is totally dry, you don't want to trap any moisture

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2006, 21:18:14 »

I'd take it back to the dealer and complain... a Vauxhall without any rust definitely isn't normal. Should be fixable under warranty I'd expect  8-)

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2006, 21:22:00 »

I'd take it back to the dealer and complain... a Vauxhall without any rust definitely isn't normal. Should be fixable under warranty I'd expect  8-)

;D ;D ;D

Missy_MV6

« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2006, 22:09:04 »

Mine was virtually rust free when bought....19 months later...Tin Worm heaven  :(

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2006, 23:39:24 »

I was giving the car a wash this afternoon. I had a good look round and I cant see any rust spots at all. Not even a tiny one in the usual places.Now I've heard some horror stories from people with newer cars than mine and the fact that it is rust free is nothing to do with me-just pure luck I guess.
The thing is, a daft question I suppose, but worth asking, is there anything I can use to keep it that way?
It looks great and still makes me smile when the sun is shining on it. I know, saddo :)

I would say waxoyl, weekly wash, garaging in the night(if you can). Waxing, polishig, thorough inspection after washing and immidiate treatment of the infected areas if any.  God how much i hate rust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.