Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeremy Kyle Gone Too Far  (Read 8361 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Kyle Gone Too Far
« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2019, 19:37:53 »

Before I start, I must say that I am not a fan of either Jeremy nor their shows. If it was done behind closed doors, then the fundamental principle behind the Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springfield/Esther Rantzen/Kilroy etc shows is sound as they do actually try and help people. Also, the people who go into these programmes do so of their own free will, they may well be victims of their life choices, but they are certainly not victims* of the production companies.

The bluster you see on the screen is for audience benefit as it's an effective form of car crash TV.

The value of such shows to the TV companies is in the ratings... The more people tune in, the higher the value of the advertising revenue.

And that's the crux of it, the content is largely irrelevant as people will watch pretty much anything. It's all about selling product to the masses...

*self inflicted exploitation is not the same as being a victim.

Agreed DG :y :y

It is that 20th/21st question of how far should the State, Society or groups go to protect/control individuals freedom to take responsibility for their actions and take the consequences of their choices.  Our politicians have still not learnt that one. Should we protect the weakest most vulnerable, or let them make their own free decisions regardless of what could happen to them as apparently in the case of this suicide?

Let TB answer that one as I cannot in all honesty, believing in democracy and personal freedoms, subject to the law, and not a dictatorship where all decisions are made for us, including life or death! ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2019, 19:40:00 »

Will it generate revenue and therefore taxes?

If not noone will actually do anything about it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2019, 19:47:57 »

Will it generate revenue and therefore taxes?

If not noone will actually do anything about it.

Yes, that is Capitalism in action.  In business I was always asked when submitting a 'Capex' (request for large capital expenditure) "will it benefit the business and produce profit?"

That question still goes round and round in my mind, and that will now be in the minds of ITV executives as they decide the future of The Jeremy Kyle show. How public opinion could damage their revenue, not how it affects the members of the public involved! :)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 19:49:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2019, 20:21:56 »

Whine would star in the first show.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2019, 20:30:42 »

believing in democracy and personal freedoms, subject to the law, and not a dictatorship
They are not mutually exclusive.  Whether the laws are made democratically* or in a dictorial manner is largely irrelevant.  Ultimately, we still believe in our Monarchy ;)

Some (many?) dictators become corrupt, and that's a big problem. But then do many democratically elected* leaders.

* In reality, we know that democracy doesn't work like the idealism its envisaged it should.  In fact, I'd argue quite the opposite, and because we have too many do-gooders and nimbys, anything that is agreed is watered down, unworkable, complex, expensive uselessness.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2019, 20:51:13 »

Great news , take it off & keep it off , load of absolute shite.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2019, 20:59:34 »

believing in democracy and personal freedoms, subject to the law, and not a dictatorship
They are not mutually exclusive.  Whether the laws are made democratically* or in a dictorial manner is largely irrelevant.  Ultimately, we still believe in our Monarchy ;)

Some (many?) dictators become corrupt, and that's a big problem. But then do many democratically elected* leaders.

* In reality, we know that democracy doesn't work like the idealism its envisaged it should.  In fact, I'd argue quite the opposite, and because we have too many do-gooders and nimbys, anything that is agreed is watered down, unworkable, complex, expensive uselessness.

That is because of course we have a 'Reprensative' government which, contrary to popular belief, means the MP's are elected to act on our behalf, but actually do what they think is right and not necessarily what their constituents want. That process is a dangerous one for any MP, but since the creation of our Parliament, they often follow that course, as in the case of Brexit.

The MP's also have lobby groups wispering in their ears, and that is when you get the spineless, weak, and generally lacking MP's letting poor policies travel, whereas a bulldog type politician would kick those into touch regardless of the fallout. That is when we get the "watered down, unworkable, complex, expensive uselessness" decisions being made ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2019, 10:06:03 »

ITV have permanently cancelled the show. About 10 years too late, but better ,late than never I suppose.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2019, 10:21:28 »

ITV have permanently cancelled the show. About 10 years too late, but better ,late than never I suppose.

Great news!! :y :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2019, 11:02:03 »

The idea of Jeremy Kyle being terminated is not without it's appeal.

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2019, 11:08:26 »

There will be those who feel that they have lost a large chunk of their morning routine  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2019, 11:14:50 »

There will be those who feel that they have lost a large chunk of their morning routine  ::)

Surely they have repeat episodes of Cash in the attic to fall back on...... :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2019, 11:16:38 »

..........and Homes under the hammer from 2013. :)

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2019, 11:19:18 »

..........and Homes under the hammer from 2013. :)
No matter how many times you watch homes under the hammer or bargain hunt, you can never remember what the end result is. Either that, or I've got albsheimers.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 May 2019, 13:15:15 »

Maybe they should scrap Love Island as well given that a couple of former contestants have gone on to commit suicide.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.