Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Buyers Guide?  (Read 33250 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Buyers Guide?
« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2016, 18:59:24 »

As Zirk says,if the car's properly sorted it will put a smile on your face when given the beans, but personally I wouldn't allow any one with only third party insurance to take any of my cars 30mph over the legal speed limit wether or not I was desperate to unload the car or not.Why would you want to rag a 15 +year old car with a dubious service history?  Myself and some of the other members can confirm that both the 3.0 /3.2 are very capable of pulling hard right up to 140+mph and a bit more BUT personally I wouldn't want to go there anymore regardless of the amount of parts and money invested.Question is are you going to drive the car as you say''like you stole it'' and if that's the case,then your Omega ownership will be short and pretty expensive, and if it's not maintained correctly then it will not be a trouble free experience.My apologies for pissing on the parade,but this is one of the main reasons leading to the demise of the Omega.....you may possibly well be a confident mechanic and having an Omega won't be too much of a challenge,but if not...then you will possibly need the services/advice and skills of the guys on this forum,many new owners have  been here and many have never been heard of again.Sort of an Omega Bermuda Triangle :o so just be careful what you wish for :-X

I think you are a bit confused. I was not the one who mentioned driving it like it's stolen. Zirk said that the car responds well to that type of driving in terms of performance. That's all. But he didn't seem to be advocating that type of driving either. It was just in response to me saying the car felt delayed in performance.  What I said in response to him then was that I DIDN'T test drive the car driving it like I stole it because it is not my car. So I didn't do that. Nope. I also didn't say this is the type of driving I want to be doing. :)

Also as  GastronomicKleptomaniac pointed out and you already found out, I was talking about 160km/h, like I wrote it and not 160mp/h.  ;)

So I think there is some confusion on your part. But thanks for the advice. I agree with you that buying an Omega to drive at the limit all the time is a foolish thing if you want the car to last. I will indeed have the sporadic fun here and there. But will not drive my car like I stole it. :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2016, 19:18:52 »

A little update:

Today I drove 2 other Omegas.

1998 2.5 diesel with the BMW engine, automatic. This car drove surprisingly good. It looks a bit rough. But didn't skip a bit. Response to the pedal was not bad for the engine and being an automatic. The steering DEFINITELY didn't feel like the 3.0 manual. Yes, it drives more like a Cadillac or older Mercedes. But it is not bad. It's nice to drive. Drives like a barge, as it should I guess. So I really think the defective power steering pump in the 3.0 manual was messing the driving experience up. That or that car has some steering or front suspension related problem. This 2.5 diesel definitely felt better in the steering. The throttle response is hard to judge. Maybe when I drove the 3.0 manual I was expecting too much and now that I have had my expectations readjusted I'm looking at the 2.5 diesel response differently I don't know. I would need to drive the 3.0 manual again to be certain and compare.

2001 2.0 diesel manual. This car is very nice. It has about 100,000km on the clock only. Looks and drives VERY nice. Just got a new MOT too. But it's weak. The 2.0 engine is just too weak for the size. You can floor it and it won't really do much. The steering felt very good. I have no problems with it the way it is. I don't need Lotus Elise precision and quickness in steering. This is good enough for a car such as the Omega. Again, the 3.0 manual was really not representative of the way the Omega steers compared to this car. This cars was really nice, comfortable and smooth to drive and if it was a 2.5 V6 petro I would probably buy it on the spot. Everything works, no rust, not even scratches.

So I'm starting to build a reference point about Omegas. One thing is for sure. Driving them makes me sure I want one.  :y

It's a lot of car for the money. A LOT! :)
« Last Edit: 30 December 2016, 19:25:18 by anV6 »

ted_one

« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2016, 19:22:30 »

160 KPH= 100 MPH!! your words not mine!!

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2016, 19:28:23 »

160 KPH= 100 MPH!! your words not mine!!

Exactly. It was 160kph. Not 160mph. So it was 100mph. This is not very fast or busted the speed limit.  ;)

And I was only there for like a few moments. Then I backed up.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2016, 21:59:54 »

Certainly would not purchase a 2.0 model no matter how good it was ,had a 2.2 which seemed underpowered has to be a V6 petrol in my opinion.

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 30 December 2016, 22:40:29 »

Only just seen this thread.

STEMO's omega buying guide: Don't.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 December 2016, 23:13:18 »

Now you have an idea about how an Omega should feel on the road, try various petrol ones, especially as that's what you're considering... TD power delivery is very different.
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 December 2016, 23:19:37 »

Now you have an idea about how an Omega should feel on the road, try various petrol ones, especially as that's what you're considering... TD power delivery is very different.

I which way? Could you elaborate? :)

These were the only ones locally currently within a few minutes drive. But I have my eye open and will try more.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 December 2016, 07:41:32 »

What's to elaborate?

Diesels only rev to around 4.5-5k and have forced induction, petrols don't and rev much higher.

Simples.
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #39 on: 31 December 2016, 07:56:23 »

What's to elaborate?

Diesels only rev to around 4.5-5k and have forced induction, petrols don't and rev much higher.

Simples.       

V6 or diesel ! A simple choice 😂😂😂
« Last Edit: 31 December 2016, 07:57:54 by Tilbo »

ted_one

« Reply #40 on: 31 December 2016, 08:49:37 »

Take Stemo's advice :P

2boxerdogs

« Reply #41 on: 31 December 2016, 09:07:32 »

Take Stemo's advice :P

Yes agree don't think you will find a good one now.Too old & most are ready to scrap or will have been ragged by inconsiderate owners , get a eurobox.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 December 2016, 09:26:39 »

Certainly would not purchase a 2.0 model no matter how good it was ,had a 2.2 which seemed underpowered has to be a V6 petrol in my opinion.

I agree here. It needs to be a 6 cylinder at least. But I think if this car had the BMW straight-6 diesel I might have been inclined to buy it. It was really basically new, when you consider it's 15 years old!

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 December 2016, 09:31:38 »

What's to elaborate?

Simples.

Oh this is what you mean. I was just wondering if you were referring to something specific, like the petros having a wired throttle but the diesel being electronic from much earlier or some other difference.

As for forced induction, I didn't know the BMW straight 6 was a turbo too. To be honest I never looked much at the diesel specs because I don't want a diesel. I did open the bonnet of the car yesterday before I drove but it's so crowed in there I didn't really see the turbo. The straight 6 really fills up the bay. With the V6 you seem to have plenty of room to work. People who drop a V8 in an Omega are very brave.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31 December 2016, 09:37:07 »

LOL! Sorry guys. Even though I think you are all being sarcastic, I won't take the advice. I want an Omega. The basically new 2.0 from yesterday tells me there are still great examples to be had out there. Besides by what I gathered if you get a car with no rust, the rest you can bring up to new spec again with not much work, right?

Omega it is! :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.