Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Buyers Guide?  (Read 33252 times)

ted_one

Re: Omega Buyers Guide?
« Reply #60 on: 31 December 2016, 17:59:28 »

I'm thinking is this someone say like Chris Gixer,pulling our Christmas puddings ??? ???  sorry if it's not you Chris,only this person is making out that they know very little about what they want and then drop a few nuggets of knowledge into the conversation that rouse the suspicion that some one is not who or what they say. ::) May be I'm just having a breakdown caused by umm now let me think :-X  ::)
« Last Edit: 31 December 2016, 18:06:36 by nitro »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 31 December 2016, 20:06:17 »

LOL! ;D

I have read several times here that this forum is a place of piss taking. So I'm not sure whether this is the case here or not. I mean at least with Gollum I can tell when he is taking the piss. When he is not he has useful info to add.

Andy B I don't even bother replying to anymore. He only jumps in to stir the pot. ;D

But the only thing that makes sense here is you blokes are taking the piss. If that's the case, have at it. All for the fun. No problem. Maybe you have had a few by now. After all it's New Years. Happy New Year by the way! :y

If not piss taking then I have no idea. I start the thread asking for a buying guide because, well, I was just about to see and drive a 3.0 V6 manual. Then I was advised to drive as many Omegas as I can get my hands on to get a feeling for them, regardless of engine, which is good advice really. Then I do just that. And I post my experience with each. But people then start saying I don't know what I want. Because I'm trying different Omegas? LOL!

Are they thinking I'm now undecided between a 3.0 and 2.0 because I drove a 2.0? Is this the piss taking or the mushroom tea? ;D

You know, even piss taking has to make some kind of sense. At least pis taking aiming to be funny. :y

I mean, I have said long ago that what I want is a 3.0 V6 manual. This is what I want to end up with. Nah, never mind, you guys know it. You're just taking the piss right. You guys are alright. :y

P.S. Andy B, I just drove the car that only exists in my head a couple of days ago. And I'm about to drive another one Monday.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 31 December 2016, 20:49:24 »

P.S. Andy B, I just drove the car that only exists in my head a couple of days ago. And I'm about to drive another one Monday.  :y
Buy the f**ker then & give us a break

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31 December 2016, 20:51:08 »

Buy the f**ker then & give us a break

Since you didn't read the thread I will get you up to speed. There was something wrong with it. BUT, it does exist! ;D :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31 December 2016, 20:52:01 »

Love you Gixxer xxx  ;D
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

STEMO

« Reply #65 on: 31 December 2016, 20:54:53 »

He's nowhere near annoyenough to be our dear, own Christopher.  ;D

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31 December 2016, 20:56:40 »

How do you know this thread is full of blokes married for decades? Because everybody is actively posting on New Years eve. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #67 on: 31 December 2016, 21:03:30 »

How do you know this thread is full of blokes married for decades? Because everybody owns an omega. ;D
Fixed that for you.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 31 December 2016, 21:07:25 »

How do you know this thread is full of blokes married for decades? Because everybody owns an omega. ;D
Fixed that for you.
LOL, well played. ;D

Alright chaps. I'm about to slip into my tuxedo, jump in the Aston and cruise to the ball. I will see you tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone! :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #69 on: 31 December 2016, 22:22:56 »

Just seen on the bay an Omega with a V12 5.3 Jaguar engine shoehorned in, now that would be a good buy..
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
« Last Edit: 31 December 2016, 22:28:42 by Tilbo »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01 January 2017, 11:33:30 »

STEMO's omega buying guide: Don't.

I do actually agree with that advice. As much as I like driving mine still, it is getting harder and harder to get replacement parts due to their age and dealers no longer being obliged to stock spares. I've owned mine from when it was just a few months old, I've always done the work on it myself and took pride that it was always clean, shiny and well looked after. As a late (Dec ) 52 plate it should have faired as well as any due to the constant cleaning and I was somewhat surprised to hear of others with wheel arch rust as mine was unblemished. Until recently that is.  :'(
Time has caught up with the old girl sadly, the tailgate has the rust blemish under the wiper, my once unblemished wheel arches are now showing signs of rust and the paint is lifting under the lip. The front longitudinal (chassis rails) are drying out and during the MOT in December it was pointed out that the sills have just started to show signs of corrosion.  :'(
This is on a car that has been cherished, so neglected models will be far worse. The saving grace, and the reason that I still have mine, is that the engine runs like a little bird, sweet as a nut. There are no odd noises, no squeaks or rattles and it glides along effortlessly. It also delivers when you put your foot down.  ;)  These are the main reasons why I have kept it for so long, that and the fact that it cost peanuts to run in the outlay department.  :y

But, even I must admit that they are getting tired and they can't go on forever. To buy one this late in the game would certainly not appeal to me. My biggest problem is what the hell do I replace it with so I will just keep running mine until it's no longer viable or safe to do so.

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

ted_one

« Reply #71 on: 01 January 2017, 12:04:48 »

Go balls out....VXR8 is the one for you,and make sure it's blown,guaranteed to focus your attention when driving it,have had a couple of attention getters on the damp roads recently :o  ;D
« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 12:15:16 by nitro »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01 January 2017, 12:36:17 »

STEMO's omega buying guide: Don't.

I do actually agree with that advice. As much as I like driving mine still, it is getting harder and harder to get replacement parts due to their age and dealers no longer being obliged to stock spares. I've owned mine from when it was just a few months old, I've always done the work on it myself and took pride that it was always clean, shiny and well looked after. As a late (Dec ) 52 plate it should have faired as well as any due to the constant cleaning and I was somewhat surprised to hear of others with wheel arch rust as mine was unblemished. Until recently that is.  :'(
Time has caught up with the old girl sadly, the tailgate has the rust blemish under the wiper, my once unblemished wheel arches are now showing signs of rust and the paint is lifting under the lip. The front longitudinal (chassis rails) are drying out and during the MOT in December it was pointed out that the sills have just started to show signs of corrosion.  :'(
This is on a car that has been cherished, so neglected models will be far worse. The saving grace, and the reason that I still have mine, is that the engine runs like a little bird, sweet as a nut. There are no odd noises, no squeaks or rattles and it glides along effortlessly. It also delivers when you put your foot down.  ;)  These are the main reasons why I have kept it for so long, that and the fact that it cost peanuts to run in the outlay department.  :y

But, even I must admit that they are getting tired and they can't go on forever. To buy one this late in the game would certainly not appeal to me. My biggest problem is what the hell do I replace it with so I will just keep running mine until it's no longer viable or safe to do so.

I must say this type of thing doesn't faze me. I have a lot of friends from the classic car scene here. Some of them run old classics as daily drivers. Old 1970's Fords for example. Nothing which is not out of Italy or France from the 1970's rusts more than 70's Fords. Yet, they don't even break a sweet to get a MOT and have no rust. It's all about maintenance or rather pro-activeness.

If you drive your car in winter in countries that use salt and just park it and do nothing, of course it will rust. Anything will. Either you must be more active in protecting your car or you need to get a winter car you don't care about. When I find a rust free, well sorted Omega I will probably do both. Will not drive it in the 3 months of high winter and will take steps to protect it anyhow. A simple Mike Sanders treatment goes already a long way in preventing the tin worm. There are all sorts of things you can do to help if you absolutely need to drive it during high winter.

So this doesn't faze me. Even brand new cars will rot if just let to it. I was a lot more afraid before I got involved with classic cars. If a 40 or 50 years old car can be used as a daily and get a MOT without problems, so can a 2000's car.  ;)

The thing is to start with a rust free one. Keeping it that way is easier than fighting it once it has already started. My plans once I get my car is to buy a couple of front wings, rear quarters and also a full set of spare doors from the latest Omega I can get my hands on. Probably a boot lid too. Then store it for the event I fail to stop the tin worm. If I do end up having to exchange a body panel because of rust, I will probably have the part stripped, galvanized and repainted before installing it, just to make sure it will last. All the while being extremely active in preventing the rust. Actually I will start stashing several parts away. Body panels and also mechanical.

My goal is to find the best Omega 3.0 manual I can and keep it for life. :y Or at least until or if the auto industry comes to it's sense again and start selling plenty of options of large 4 doors saloons with manual gearboxes, RWD and larger petro engines again. Yeah, I know, fat chance! LOL. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #73 on: 01 January 2017, 14:03:49 »

Like a BMW, you mean?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 01 January 2017, 15:12:41 »

I believe the OP was recommended to drive a few Omegas to get a feel for whats normal, so could do with maybe a little less hostility IMHO.  I certainly drove a few before buying my first one.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.