Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: code readers for kia?  (Read 3633 times)

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
    • Custom Flightcase manufacture
code readers for kia?
« on: 10 January 2017, 21:21:41 »

Hi ive had nothing but issues with my kia Sedona bought in July 2016 but today its failed its MOT as the ABS light was off, the garage checked the bulb in dash first (which had been removed already) but when they put a new one in the light did not come on, but they could not read any codes as the standard plug in footwell (I think 16 pin) does not let them delve into ABS codes, but in the engine there is a 20 pin socket that they said I would have to go to a Kia dealer to read, well I phoned them and they want £48 just to plug a machine in and a further £80 an hour to diagnose, and they added that if the abs pump has gone they will not be able to read any codes anyway.
Ive had enough and wondered if A. someone on here local to derby can help or B. if anyone has some good advise on a step forward, I cant afford to replace this car at the moment and its a life line for my ever growing family
www.impactcls.co.uk - Flight Case Manufacture

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: code readers for kia?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2017, 21:44:54 »

Hi ive had nothing but issues with my kia Sedona bought in July 2016 but today its failed its MOT as the ABS light was off, the garage checked the bulb in dash first (which had been removed already) but when they put a new one in the light did not come on, but they could not read any codes as the standard plug in footwell (I think 16 pin) does not let them delve into ABS codes, but in the engine there is a 20 pin socket that they said I would have to go to a Kia dealer to read, well I phoned them and they want £48 just to plug a machine in and a further £80 an hour to diagnose, and they added that if the abs pump has gone they will not be able to read any codes anyway.
Ive had enough and wondered if A. someone on here local to derby can help or B. if anyone has some good advise on a step forward, I cant afford to replace this car at the moment and its a life line for my ever growing family
not local but if you get stuck you more then welcome to visit my place
Btw they must have no work at workshop  ::)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2017, 21:47:39 »

Start at the beginning.

What year is the car?

Someone has gone to great lengths to mask a fault with the ABS system.  Having said that, why remove the bulb if it wasn't going to illuminate anyway.

I'd be checking the bulb myself - and making sure there is power to the warning light. (It should illuminate for a couple of seconds on ignition).
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2017, 03:58:47 »

not local but if you get stuck you more then welcome to visit my place
Btw they must have no work at workshop  ::)
Start at the beginning.

What year is the car?

Someone has gone to great lengths to mask a fault with the ABS system.  Having said that, why remove the bulb if it wasn't going to illuminate anyway.

I'd be checking the bulb myself - and making sure there is power to the warning light. (It should illuminate for a couple of seconds on ignition).
Thanks

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2017, 08:01:30 »

Start at the beginning.

What year is the car?

Bulb is fine its not illuminating as no power to it hence needing reader, there's power to fuses etc

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2017, 09:10:49 »

Does the abs work?

Again what year?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2017, 09:21:18 »

Does the abs work?

Again what year?
Appologirs 05 plate abs not working on sharp braking

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 09:48:59 »

What happens if you stand on the pedal? Try it on gravel as it should be clear if the wheels are locking or abs is kicking in... note wheels might initially lock but abs should then limit this.

Have you driven the car any distance since the bulb was changed? Does the light come on above certain speeds?

A quick bit of googling suggests that the ecu is faulty...

Wiring diagrams...

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/2420/ABS_wiring1.jpg

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/2420/ABS_wiring2.jpg

Both from... http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/abs-warning-light-reset_topic24001.html which answers the question re the engine bay plug, needs an adapter.

If the wiring diagram is no help, then a new garage and a trip to Kia are both in your future :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2017, 10:53:13 »

A generic OBDII reader will probably not read ABS unit....
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2017, 11:22:45 »

True. But Kias , Hyundais etc have been common cars for long enough that most general garages should be able to diagnose them. A Reasonable tool for my sister's car was about £150 last time I looked.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2017, 18:12:23 »

True. But Kias , Hyundais etc have been common cars for long enough that most general garages should be able to diagnose them. A Reasonable tool for my sister's car was about £150 last time I looked.
Yes, the professional tools should.  The point I was trying to make is the cheap shite from egay/amazon/ecp/local tool shops etc etc most likely wont.
Grumpy old man

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2017, 19:40:44 »

What happens if you stand on the pedal? Try it on gravel as it should be clear if the wheels are locking or abs is kicking in... note wheels might initially lock but abs should then limit this.

Have you driven the car any distance since the bulb was changed? Does the light come on above certain speeds?

Wiring diagrams...

Both from... http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/abs-warning-light-reset_topic24001.html which answers the question re the engine bay plug, needs an adapter.

If the wiring diagram is no help, then a new garage and a trip to Kia are both in your future :-\

Definitely no abs kicking in just been trying it just squeal of tyres

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2017, 19:43:10 »

Yes, the professional tools should.  The point I was trying to make is the cheap shite from egay/amazon/ecp/local tool shops etc etc most likely wont.

The garage had all the right tools for the standard OBD socket but as you said earlier they cannot get abs info off that, this is a separate socket and all other than kia so far garage wise do not have the kit so I can't blame the garage, just loaved to pay kia £48 just to plug it in!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2017, 19:50:16 »

The wiring diagram should give them some idea what's occurring... Like I said for the sake of a £4 adaptor and some old fashioned testing rather than expecting everything on a plate, you might consider A N Other garage... For the sake of getting it diagnosed ready for component replacing, you could do alot worse than give it to Kia for an hour ;)

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2017, 19:07:03 »

Wiring diagrams...

having spent some time looking at wiring harness and abs pump the highlighted picture is incorrect, some pins are the same but most of the colour wires do not match my car
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.