Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kia Stinger?  (Read 4286 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Kia Stinger?
« on: 11 January 2017, 17:01:21 »

I’m sure many of you have heard of the new Kia Stinger. What do you think of it?

It's RWD! What's not to like?  ;D

Seriously, I think it’s impressive for what it is and shows Kia is really trying hard to be taken seriously.

I also think it’s a smart move from their part. RWD saloons are becoming a rare gem. But they definitely have their fans. There are only 2 in the U.S and 2 in Australia, both countries known to appreciate RWD. The U.S. is soon to be left with only 1 RWD 4 door saloon, when Holden stops production of the commodore.  Australia will be left with no RWD at all since the Ford Falcon is also EOL. I’m sure Kia is targeting both the U.S. and Australia’s market heavily. The question is, will the Stinger be taken seriously? I think it has a better chance in the U.S. than it does with Commodore and Falcon drivers. But maybe it’s just me.

It’s not a V8 but the top V6 makes 365bhp. We could only dream of that in an Omega. Although I’m sure the Stinger is heavier as any newer car is. Its 5.1 sec. 0-60mph time is a giveaway of its weight as the Steinmetz Omega is only a second slower but produces nearly 100bhp less. But it doesn’t seem that much heavier looking at these figures and  5.1 secs is quick for any car but a supercar IMO. So if it delivers elsewhere, like handling, braking etc, it doesn’t seem performance will be a problem. If it will be as fun to drive as the Giulia Quadrifoglio it’s something else. Most likely not, especially that it will be automatic only. The Quadrifoglio is available with a manual here and it’s a riot let me tell you. Very nice. But the Stinger definitely looks promising. It’s hard to say it’s not a good looking car too. I don’t like the fat back just like I don’t in the Audis. But overall the Stinger is a good looking car.

It seems it will also be released in mainland Europe. It will be interesting to see how it would do here. I’m sure it can do well in the U.S and even UK. But Europe never really warmed up to Japanese cars, let alone Koreans. Most people still see them as subpar or imitations. The cheaper ones are not a problem and Kia sells well. But Toyota has tried several times with Lexus here till they finally seem to have given up.  People will just not take expensive Japanese or Korean cars seriously. No matter how good or how quick they may be. It’s a niche here. Skylines and Supras have a good following with fans. But the general public couldn’t care less. It’s hard to blame them when Alfas, Maseratis, Mercs, Audis, Porsches and BMWs are so accessible. In the U.S. Lexus, Acura and Infinity are popular because these cars are not accessible.  I guess in the UK it's the easy of having the same hand drive as Japan. Models never available in LHD, normally the special ones, can be had with easy.

I think the Stinger is certainly a step in the right direction for Kia. I welcome any and all RWD 4 door saloons. And Kia seems to be thinking and really trying to do it right. They will offer it in RWD and AWD. The way it should be. None of that cheap and non-sense FWD.  :P

Now if they sell it with a manual they are on to a great start. If they ever drop a V8 in it they may even give some bigger badges some headaches. But let's see how it actually drives first. :)

So what do you think of the Stinger?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Kia Stinger?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2017, 17:15:41 »

Personally I like it very much. Interior quality will be the big thing for me. It's fine looking at a nice steering wheel, gear lever etc, but if they feel like Poundland's cast-offs the. That's no good at all.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2017, 17:27:00 »

Looks like a poor copy of a modern Jag, and modern Jags are ugly as sin.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2017, 17:29:36 »

It does rather look like they've tried too hard on the styling front to me but then I say that of most modern cars.

Having driven 2400km in a Hyundai Accent 1.6 auto recently, and found that the experience wasn't terrible, I certainly wouldn't dismiss it for not being German built...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2017, 18:18:21 »

Likely to depreciate like, errr, well, an Omega...

...so could become a contender.

Though due to all the tree huggers, I doubt the powerful ones will be common.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2017, 18:23:26 »

I like it , especially the large engine a good second hand buy in a few years.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2017, 18:25:26 »

Certainly could be an option, as if, like me, you won't have crap beemers, mercs or posh toyatas, you start running out of rwd options :(
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 18:42:02 »

I like it, but I bet the 11 they manage to sell with large engines throughout its model life become impossible to find.
It's a car intended for America, just like its Hyundai Genesis sister which is already on sale. But considering that starts at £50k, I doubt any of us will ever actually see one.

It's the V6 Talbot Tagora reincarnated: a company car for the Dealer Principal.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2017, 18:44:20 by Nick W »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2017, 19:07:21 »

I like it, but I bet the 11 they manage to sell with large engines throughout its model life become impossible to find.
It's a car intended for America, just like its Hyundai Genesis sister which is already on sale. But considering that starts at £50k, I doubt any of us will ever actually see one.

It's the V6 Talbot Tagora reincarnated: a company car for the Dealer Principal.

But the Genesis is as blend as it gets. It looks like any other run saloon out there. I think the Stinger has much more style.  ;)

But I agree the V6 will probably not sell all that well. Not with a Kia badge.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2017, 19:14:12 »

Looks like a poor copy of a modern Jag, and modern Jags are ugly as sin.

I have to disagree on both accounts. The front reminds me more of a Fisker Karma than any Jag. The side profile is pure Audi A5 sportback. Actually the whole design is very Audi "inspired" (copied). This is one of the reasons Japanese and Korean cars don't get respect. All the copying. But to be fair, in the case of Audi lately, everybody seems to be copying them. So it's all fair game.

I also disagree the current Jags are ugly. I quite like them and also like that you can still get them with a manual transmission, unlike Mercedes. And they are also still RWD. I like the design. It's nice that Jaguar has finally come to the modern age and left behind the retro styling. Even Bentley and Rolls Royce are not as retro anymore. It is time to move on. Just my opinion of course.  :)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2017, 19:15:48 »

Certainly could be an option, as if, like me, you won't have crap beemers, mercs or posh toyatas, you start running out of rwd options :(

I'm with you all the way, except Mercedes. I like the current C, E and S Class. The only reason I wouldn't buy one is because they are automatic only with any of the engines worth any salt.  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2017, 19:39:13 »

I'm with you all the way, except Mercedes. I like the current C, E and S Class. The only reason I wouldn't buy one is because they are automatic only with any of the engines worth any salt.  :)

Excellent, whats not to like? :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2017, 19:46:37 »

Excellent, whats not to like? :y

That the car is doing 50% of my job.  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2017, 20:18:51 »

The front end is quite nice but the rear end is as ugly as sin  :o

Kia as a brand actually look like an attractive alternative to the rest of the shite out there at the moment and the quality seems ok too.
Certainly could be an option, as if, like me, you won't have crap beemers, mercs or posh toyatas Datsuns, you start running out of rwd options :(

Fixed that for you TB  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2017, 20:29:19 »

I was referring to Lexus, not Nissan. Though agree their blandness blends into each other
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2017, 20:36:01 »

I was referring to Lexus, not Nissan. Though agree their blandness blends into each other

Thought you were referring to the infiniti that I tried pointing you to  ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2017, 21:15:18 »

Must admit this is the first I've heard/seen of this model.Rear three quarter view is very Audi,while side view quite Jaguar-esque.Overall though I'd have to say yes I quite like that.I think it could well depend on what smaller engines it can be had with and how good they are.The "top" engine I don't think will do too well over here due[as TB points out]to the tree huggers and the stupid level of road tax/rfl/whatever it's now called,as it just doesn't have "the badge".Rwd or Fwd I don't think really matters to most buyers as it's not seen by the majority as a priority.Doubtful that most will even know let alone care which end their car drives from.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2017, 21:36:46 »

Must admit this is the first I've heard/seen of this model.Rear three quarter view is very Audi,while side view quite Jaguar-esque.Overall though I'd have to say yes I quite like that.I think it could well depend on what smaller engines it can be had with and how good they are.The "top" engine I don't think will do too well over here due[as TB points out]to the tree huggers and the stupid level of road tax/rfl/whatever it's now called,as it just doesn't have "the badge".Rwd or Fwd I don't think really matters to most buyers as it's not seen by the majority as a priority.Doubtful that most will even know let alone care which end their car drives from.

The small engine option is a 2.0.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2017, 21:48:45 »

Must say I think some of the Kia range are decent looking things.What they're like to drive or what the build quality/longevity is like I don't know.However people still buy into the "presige" of the "premium"brands/badges and a Kia badge just doesn't cut it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2017, 22:01:06 »

Must say I think some of the Kia range are decent looking things.What they're like to drive or what the build quality/longevity is like I don't know.However people still buy into the "prestige" of the "premium" brands/badges and a Kia badge just doesn't cut it.

Yes, Hyundai/Kia's Cheap but decent branding works well at the bottom of the market, but falls short of the premium German Ultimate Marketing Machine/A posh interior really does disguise a tarted-up VW/A Mercedes really is as good as we say it is wank.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2017, 07:06:05 »

I like it, and you get Kia's 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty as well!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2017, 08:06:26 »

I hadn't considered the New VED issue :-\. I suspect this means you really won't see (m)any of the V6's. £500p.a to tax a Kia is pretty steep and current thinking is that the v6 awd will cost around £43k so all will hit the higher VED bracket.

The smaller engine otoh is still supposed to push around 250bhp and is rwd so could be the better option anyway.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2017, 08:30:07 »

I hadn't considered the New VED issue :-\. I suspect this means you really won't see (m)any of the V6's. £500p.a to tax a Kia is pretty steep and current thinking is that the v6 awd will cost around £43k so all will hit the higher VED bracket.

The smaller engine otoh is still supposed to push around 250bhp and is rwd so could be the better option anyway.

I believe you will be able to get the V6 in RWD too, which to me would be the obvious choice.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2017, 08:37:57 »

Must say I think some of the Kia range are decent looking things.What they're like to drive or what the build quality/longevity is like I don't know.However people still buy into the "prestige" of the "premium" brands/badges and a Kia badge just doesn't cut it.

Yes, Hyundai/Kia's Cheap but decent branding works well at the bottom of the market, but falls short of the premium German Ultimate Marketing Machine/A posh interior really does disguise a tarted-up VW/A Mercedes really is as good as we say it is wank.

Yes, here the "premium" Japanese brands never made a scratch. So Kia has even less of a chance.

But I disagree about the German marketing machine. Sure there is a lot of marketing. But they do make the best cars in the world. It's not only marketing. They have also been ahead of the curve for most part. I mean, they did start the whole thing. The only ones that can match the built quality and reliability are the Japanese. But they don't have the class and history so they are no match in the premium side of things.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2017, 08:42:04 by anV6 »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2017, 09:57:04 »

I believe you will be able to get the V6 in RWD too, which to me would be the obvious choice.

Agreed! I thought an article I'd read mentioned the v6 being awe and the 4pot being rwd. I may be mistaken though :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2017, 10:30:28 »

Their big saloon only gets us a shitty fwd diesel where as US get all the decent stuff... Don't go holding your breath >:(
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2017, 18:12:42 »

Yes, here the "premium" Japanese brands never made a scratch. So Kia has even less of a chance.

But I disagree about the German marketing machine. Sure there is a lot of marketing. But they do make the best cars in the world. It's not only marketing. They have also been ahead of the curve for most part. I mean, they did start the whole thing. The only ones that can match the built quality and reliability are the Japanese. But they don't have the class and history so they are no match in the premium side of things.
I think the Honda legend and some Lexus came pretty close.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2017, 04:58:23 »

VED is calculated by emissions not engine size so maybe it won't be that painful.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2017, 09:27:42 »

VED is calculated by emissions not engine size so maybe it won't be that painful.  :-\

While that's true for the moment, from April 2017, the government are (once again) moving the VED goalposts which will sadly, hit the V6 Stinger pretty hard, quote below from auto express...

Cars registered after April 1st 2017 will pay a one-off tax charge for the first year, with rates decided by a heavily revised version of the current CO2-based tax band system. The adjustments mean most buyers will see their first year tax charge virtually doubled, while only zero-emissions vehicles will get away with paying nothing at all.

From the second year onwards, the CO2 scale becomes irrelevant, as two flat rates will then be applied – a £0 (zero) VED rate for zero-emissions vehicles only, and a flat annual rate of £140 for all other cars. While cars costing over £40,000 will also be liable for the £140 VED rate from year two, they will also be forced to pay an additional annual ‘supplement’ of £310 for the first five years.

Although I don't know what the stinger CO2 figures will be, a Jaguar XE 2.0i R-Sport (auto) will attract a tax charge of £800 in year one. So I can see all stingers being at least a grand in yr one, with the V6 attracting £140 + £310 for years 2 to 5. So, if anyone buys one, they will be a great buy at 5 yrs old. but I suspect they'll be thin on the ground :P
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 09:31:26 by jimmy944 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2017, 09:36:26 »

That might push the secondhand car market up... until we run out of new cars...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2017, 09:39:19 »

Indeed!

There are some winners as well as losers (as always). For example the skoda superb 280 goes from £300 p.a. At the minute to £140 from April. I'm sure We'll see them flying off the shelves  :y

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2017, 19:18:08 »

Indeed!

There are some winners as well as losers (as always). For example the skoda superb 280 goes from £300 p.a. At the minute to £140 from April. I'm sure We'll see them flying off the shelves  :y
Probably not :D

Those VAG common rail petrol lumps probably go alright, but they're as rough as a badgers arse at idle :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.