Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody said bespoke?  (Read 4563 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Somebody said bespoke?
« on: 15 January 2017, 01:14:37 »

I was given the suggestion of going fully bespoke a few times here, in order to get to the car I want.

Well, today I stumbled on something that might be a good opportunity for that.

It's a low mileage 2003 3.2 Omega. But it's missing both the engine and gearbox. Besides that it's supposed to be complete.

I think I could get it for an interesting price.

But would it be a headache to fit a 3.0 with a R28 manual box in it? Something is telling me it won't be a straight job with all the electronics that probably interact with everything.

And while we are at it, and this is most likely out of curiosity, but it is an empty engine bay after all, would I be limited to the Omega range of engines and gearboxes if I want anything half way simple to install? Or would other GM options with more power be sensible?

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Somebody said bespoke?
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2017, 09:51:11 »

I was given the suggestion of going fully bespoke a few times here, in order to get to the car I want.

Well, today I stumbled on something that might be a good opportunity for that.

It's a low mileage 2003 3.2 Omega. But it's missing both the engine and gearbox. Besides that it's supposed to be complete.

I think I could get it for an interesting price.

But would it be a headache to fit a 3.0 with a R28 manual box in it? Something is telling me it won't be a straight job with all the electronics that probably interact with everything.

And while we are at it, and this is most likely out of curiosity, but it is an empty engine bay after all, would I be limited to the Omega range of engines and gearboxes if I want anything half way simple to install? Or would other GM options with more power be sensible?

Stick b234 in it R28 will bolt straight  on

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2017, 10:01:49 »

Just make sure you clean the sludge out of the bottom end first and unblock the oil pick up pipe.  Or else this happens... on christmas day... in the middle of nowhere...  >:(

Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2017, 10:23:39 »

Think this is B207 engine in 9-5

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2017, 10:37:21 »

Think this is B207 engine in 9-5

I think all the older variants utilise the same type of oil pick up system and are eqaully susceptible to oil starvation?   :-\
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2017, 11:09:26 »

Read through a 15 page thread on a B234R conversion on MIGweb... various oil issues, partly due to mounting the engine vertically and partly from custom sump... not a straight forward swap either, although the chap doing it did seem to make it awkward by trying to stuff a Monza diff into an Omega casing, along with a Jag gearbox... whole car was basically built from scratch, and ended up being scrapped...

If it's the same Serek, he knows the thread as he posted on it ;)

To anv6, if you want a 3.0 manual, then this is chance to get best of both worlds... find a scruffy post '98 3.0 manual, and pull the engine, box and clutch from it. Then fit 2.6/3.2 manifolds, 3.0 cats, replace all the sensors with the 3.2 items, and fit the loom from a 2.6 manual along with the coil packs, and plug this into the 3.2 ecu. Job jobbed. This assumes that the ecu is still with the car... otherwise you'll need the ecu, immobiliser ring and key chips too...

End result would see the engine and box you want in a newer Omega. Reading through... this was pretty much what you were told when you first asked... ;)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2017, 11:31:34 »

Saucer of milk for Raggle Frog  :D

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2017, 11:36:11 »

Well...

On a separate note, what was it that let go on your Saab? Fatal or simply irritating?

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2017, 11:43:52 »

As yet unconfirmed. 110mph... clonk... stall.. metal noises... lots and lots of smoke... hot oil on exhaust...all oil escaped..  Was whining on cold start previously (i assumed some sort of SAI fault like omega) but apparently that's the sound of a staining oil pump on these. So i'm guessing it starved the turbo/engine of oil and the rest is history.   If it ever stops frigging raining I might be able to carry out a post mortem.  ::)

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2017, 11:48:13 »

As yet unconfirmed. 110mph... clonk... stall.. metal noises... lots and lots of smoke... hot oil on exhaust...all oil escaped..  Was whining on cold start previously (i assumed some sort of SAI fault like omega) but apparently that's the sound of a staining oil pump on these. So i'm guessing it starved the turbo/engine of oil and the rest is history.   If it ever stops frigging raining I might be able to carry out a post mortem.  ::)
Ouch...

I can see why people like them for conversions, massive power potential, but oil starvation seems to be a bit of an Achilles heel :-\

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2017, 14:09:53 »

Read through a 15 page thread on a B234R conversion on MIGweb... various oil issues, partly due to mounting the engine vertically and partly from custom sump... not a straight forward swap either, although the chap doing it did seem to make it awkward by trying to stuff a Monza diff into an Omega casing, along with a Jag gearbox... whole car was basically built from scratch, and ended up being scrapped...

If it's the same Serek, he knows the thread as he posted on it ;)

To anv6, if you want a 3.0 manual, then this is chance to get best of both worlds... find a scruffy post '98 3.0 manual, and pull the engine, box and clutch from it. Then fit 2.6/3.2 manifolds, 3.0 cats, replace all the sensors with the 3.2 items, and fit the loom from a 2.6 manual along with the coil packs, and plug this into the 3.2 ecu. Job jobbed. This assumes that the ecu is still with the car... otherwise you'll need the ecu, immobiliser ring and key chips too...

End result would see the engine and box you want in a newer Omega. Reading through... this was pretty much what you were told when you first asked... ;)
RWD conversion with saab engine are ok till you start using car Hard ( track days) that when oil issue come, so thats way peoply try different sump options
imho most time its down to engine worn witch need repair and bring back to right standard  :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2017, 20:15:16 »

Ouch...

I can see why people like them for conversions, massive power potential, but oil starvation seems to be a bit of an Achilles heel :-\

As with all things related to cars and the internet, there's a lot of conflicting information on the oil starvation issues on 9-5 2.3 lumps. Perhaps the below explanation may help:

The issues arise because the pipes in the crankcase ventilation system are Poundland rejects supplied by GM to Saab. Under the heat of the 2.3 lump, these pipes break down from the inside. This drops bits of rubber and congealed oil into the sump which blocks the strainer in the oils pickup and causes starvation. The noise X030XE describes is known on Saab forums as the "death whine" and is the final stage of the process before total failure of other components due to oil starvation.

The ways to cure this are to drop the sump, clean it out, fit the latest iteration of the ventilation kit (about £120) then run the car for ever on fully synth oil. It's a serious issue that affects all 2.3 saabs, arrow are least susceptible as the should have always been run on fully synth. Semi synth increases the rate of decay. Alternatively, buy a post 2004 example which will have the updated kit fitted and the issue doesn't arise (except where incorrect oil is used).

The good news is that once the sump is cleaned and the new Pcv kit is fitted, the issue should never resurface. Unfortunately, if the issue progresses to its conclusion, usually a new engine is the remedy.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2017, 22:13:25 »

Oh bugger  :(  Now you tell me  ::) ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2017, 08:31:20 »

Sorry X30XE, i realise my last post came across as being wise after the event (aka being a d!ck  ;D). That wasn't my intention at all. I just wanted to provide some background so as to try and ensure that people aren't put off the engine without knowing the reality of its issues.

If you do need a new block, or any Saab specific advice, UKSaabs forum is a real font of knowledge and helped me with all 3 of my 9-5's over the years I've had them.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2017, 19:17:41 »

;D ;D ;D 

Yes, hindsight is very illuminating.  Having only bought the thing in the week before christmas and being working everyday I didn't have time to familiarise myself with it's foibles before it gave in to a lack of mechanical sympathy.  Given that the previous muppet owner had had "his muppet mate at t-yota" change the gearbox fluid a year ago, and judging by the reciept put Dex III in it instead of 3309 like he should I was half expecting the gearbox to leave me stranded in no-mans land.  The only surprise I got therefore was the failure mode it went for on the day  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.