Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat Battery, manual key not working,how to re energise the system and get entry  (Read 2145 times)

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile

3.2 MV6, recently fitted new drivers door selenoid, battery now flat and when i turn the key no connection with the lock so cannot mannually open (must have screwed up new lock sel. install

Any tips...connect positive lead to starter   etc

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

3.2 MV6, recently fitted new drivers door solenoid, battery now flat and when i turn the key no connection with the lock so cannot manually open (must have screwed up new lock sel. install

Any tips...connect positive lead to starter   etc

Yep, that's the way to do it. Use a flexible metal rod - coat hanger - wrapped in insulating tape except for the very end. Attach the earth lead to a good spot, and feed the rod to the battery connection of the starter motor. Then attach the positive lead to the other end of the rod and unlock the car. This is MUCH easier/safer with another person. And if you use a jump pack with an on/off switch.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

If estate, you can always go through the boot ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile

When it happened to me in a saloon I found that the the knob securing the long load panel behind the rear seat centre armrest was not fully tightened. Opened the boot with the key, a slim person got in (despite the speakers on the rear shelf) rattled or more like thumped the centre plate until it opened and then was able to reach the button to fold down one of the rear seats and crawl through.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2019, 15:21:16 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

When it happened to me I found that the the knob securing the long load panel behind the rear seat centre armrest was not fully tightened. Opened the boot with the key, a slim person got in (despite the speakers on the rear shelf) rattled or more like thumped the centre plate until it opened and then was able to reach the button to fold down one of the rear seats and crawl through.
Facelift saloons don't have this option... No boot lid keyhole.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile

Yes it was a pre-facelift.
Anyway I don't see how a jammed or incorrectly assembled door lock mechanism would flatten the battery. Something must have been left on. A short or overload would have blown a fuse surely?

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile

flat probably due to lack of use for 6 weeks

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

So you managed to turn the key in the door on a 3.2 (I never have), but it did not unlock the door. Was that because you had not correctly fitted the door lock? Does the key open the door with the same connection as the outside door lever, which on fitting the lock assembly must be engaged with the cup on the lock lever?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile

If you have a spare battery, I once used my 12 volt golf battery, attach to starter motor and earth. You could do this with jump leads from another car. Is it possible to back feed from the number plate light?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

.....  Is it possible to back feed from the number plate light?

Only if the light switch is set to 'on'  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

So you managed to turn the key in the door on a 3.2 (I never have), but it did not unlock the door. Was that because you had not correctly fitted the door lock? Does the key open the door with the same connection as the outside door lever, which on fitting the lock assembly must be engaged with the cup on the lock lever?
Probably this /\ /\

As said on a FL ie 3.2 if the battery is flat and atempt to open Drivers door manually with the Key, the Button will not pop up, you need to pull the Door Handle open whilst using the key to the left and if the key entry has not been used for a while then almost certainlty extra force is needed.

Above should work whether Deadlocked or not, having said that I never Deadlock my Omegas if I know there going to be stood for a while (Just to make sure I lock the Drivers inside via the Rear Door), and if I know there going to be stood up, I normally diss the Neg Lead on the Battery anyway.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Even if it's not deadlocked, the CL motor assists manual operation of the lock using the key, so if the battery is completely dead it will take more force to turn the key, but it should be do-able as long as the lock is connected up and not siezed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile

jump lead onto the starter motor was enough to energise central locking....good news
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.