Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega wheel balancing vol II  (Read 3298 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Omega wheel balancing vol II
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2018, 17:32:12 »

So if you (professionally) fitted a tyre, dot by valve, and it needed a bucket load of balancing weights (say, 100g), you would just balance it, rather than rotate the tyre?

:o

That's exactly what they did at Mercedes a few years ago ..... they put 105g of stick on weights on one spot. I didn't think to look as I picked the car up but phoned them later to tell them I would be bringing it back for them to do it again. The tech .... in his 50's couldn't see anything wrong ... infact he admitted that in the past he'd used 200g to balance a tyre. Not on my car I said. He was really pleased with himself on his return when he told me he'd only used 30g this time ..... like he should've done in the 1st place.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2018, 17:36:12 »

I took one of mine back a few years ago because he'd put one of these bleedin great lumps of lead on the outside rim. I made him put a stick on one on.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2018, 18:05:42 »

I took one of mine back a few years ago because he'd put one of these bleedin great lumps of lead on the outside rim. I made him put a stick on one on.

The other problem with clip on weights is that they damage the paint either side of the rim and gives salt & sh1te somewhere to sit while it eats its way through the paint & into the alloy. Fortunately lots of rims these days don't have that lip anymore on the outside edge ... though they do on the inner edge

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2018, 10:39:57 »

Yeah thing is though I’ve had these tyres on and off a few times and rebalanced a few times so I’m thinking that perhaps the wheel repair may be the way forward.

Or.

I may just slap my new tyres on.

Decisions. 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2018, 10:01:29 »

ok,so how would one find the heavy part of the tyre? Forgive my stupidity

A forced wheel balacing machine will do this for you. One of its main advantages is accurate balancing with problematic rims. It basically finds the heaviest part of the rim / tyre, and then the tyre bead has to be broken and the tyre rotated on the rim to the indicated position for the optimum balance with the minimum of balance weights relative to the tyre / rim weights.
Bit then you need a forced wheel balancing machine, which most 'run o'mill' tyre places haven't got....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2018, 18:54:51 »

Thanks Jonny.

I think the plan is to fit new tyres and see if I can mess around with the balancing. If not I’ll whip them off and get them rounded by the welding place
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.