Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Towbar & Insurance questions  (Read 3529 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Towbar & Insurance questions
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2007, 08:22:01 »

A Mondea is not big enough to tow a trailer with an Omega on it....probably wouldn't legaly be able to tow a trailer with a vectra on either......

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2007, 08:32:29 »

I was told by a trailer hire company that my Omega wasn't big enough to tow an Omega on a twin axel trailer so I had to hire a van :(
Retired

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2007, 08:40:23 »

A Mondea is not big enough to tow a trailer with an Omega on it....probably wouldn't legaly be able to tow a trailer with a vectra on either......

tow an omega....me ?

ideally i would like an omega for towing though... :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2007, 10:02:24 »

If you are going to tow any vehicle on a trailer I wouldn't go for a lighter tow car than an Omega, TBH. Yes, it can be done but a FWD car with spongey rear suspension will be nothing like as stable as an Omega.

An Omega can tow IRO 1700 Kg. Once you've accounted for the weight of the trailer itself you're talking about a small to medium hatchback on the trailer.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2007, 10:33:14 »

I've towed lots of stuff with frighteningly inadequate cars.

A Rover P6 with a Renault 19, A Pontiac Firebird with a Sierra etc etc, but after the last time I towed a Sentor in my Carlton estate and nearly fell off a bridge because it started 'penduluming' due to the cheap rear shocks that were fitted to it.

I'll be towing a stripped out Monza with my MV6 soon and that's about as far as I'd push it, (Someone recently had a Monza and trailer weighed and it met the max trailer weight. 1750 KG IIRC.) Then I'm getting a Range Rover!!
« Last Edit: 15 May 2007, 10:33:47 by Big_Rod »
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Martin_1962

« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2007, 11:04:55 »

I have seen a small WRD car stuck in my road for an hour because the trailer was too heavy - smell of clutch ect.

Pity it was pre tow bar because an Omega would have shifted it no problem :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2007, 11:06:32 »

I've towed lots of stuff with frighteningly inadequate cars.

I moved out of my bedsit and into our first house with a large box trailer behind the Sunbeam.

A sporty Metro tried to beat me at some traffic lights - no chance (trailer was empty - returning for another load)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2007, 12:15:48 »

wouldnt life be easier if no claims bonus was relative to a driver's continous insurance, regardless of the car they buy

i.e buying an extra car and declaring 4 years no claims purely for the fact you have been continuously insured for 4 years and never made a claim!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2007, 12:21:49 »

I just have visions of......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4g44_haEDU

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2007, 12:30:48 »

that's hilarious!!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2007, 13:03:45 »

;D ;D ;D nice video  :o

No ive decided it will be an Omega with already fitted towbar. Trouble is doing my usual search of ebay and autotrader shows none!! suitable within 100 miles.

Its got to be - considorably - sub £1000.

Final question. to those that have towed....is it hard cos looking at the size of a trailer and car i just worry about getting stuck  :-[
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2007, 14:07:29 »

is it hard cos looking at the size of a trailer and car i just worry about getting stuck

It's easy until you have to reverse ;D

Best to think a little further ahead as you're driving and try to avoid getting into tight spots in the first place. Grab a trailer and practice your reversing somewhere quiet too.

The other thing I find I need to be careful of is to keep the speed under control. Leave a longer stopping distance and be wary that if you've been grinding up a hill for a few minutes with your right foot embedded in the axminster and the ground flattens out, you need to remember to come off the gas a little! Sounds obvious but when you're used to driving at 70+ it's very easy to let the speed build up and the first thing you know about it when towing is that it all starts to get a bit unstable! A powerful car and cruise control helps a lot here IME. Set the cruise to 55-60 or wherever you're comfortable (on the motorway) and leave it.

If you're really serious about it find a local driving instructor who gives towing lessons. There's a guy close to me who does, but not so close to you!

Have you discounted the possibility of a removable towbar on the MV6 then?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2007, 14:11:55 »

i

Have you discounted the possibility of a removable towbar on the MV6 then?

Kevin

yes, decided I dont want to go down that route.

MV6 is going to get the full irmscher and full respray. Also potentially i wil be frequenting scrap yards to drop off the occasional shell of a car and i dont want it in that type of scenario...oh and finally i dont want the wife driving the MV6  :o

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2007, 14:55:47 »

wouldnt life be easier if no claims bonus was relative to a driver's continous insurance, regardless of the car they buy

i.e buying an extra car and declaring 4 years no claims purely for the fact you have been continuously insured for 4 years and never made a claim!

I have never been able to work out why your NCD can't be carried over to a second car, after all you can only drive one car at a time anyway, just another way for the insurers to drain yet more money from our pockets >:(

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2007, 16:40:19 »

and as wisely said by chris rock, if we dont make a claim, shouldnt we just get our money back???
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.