Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghanging alternator belt on Rover Steetwise  (Read 2590 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Ghanging alternator belt on Rover Steetwise
« on: 29 May 2019, 09:22:45 »

Last week MOT tester pointed out the alternator belt was in a bad state. Yesterday I replaced it with new, tricky job, because of little space between RH bottom of engine and body. I imagine on original assembly the engine is dropped in fully assembled, with little thought for belt changes in 15 years time. I suppose other front wheel drive cars are similar.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Ghanging alternator belt on Rover Steetwise
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 10:06:57 »

It makes life easier on many FWD cars to remove the wheel arch liner to improve access to the belts and pulleys.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 10:17:58 »

Last week MOT tester pointed out the alternator belt was in a bad state. Yesterday I replaced it with new, tricky job, because of little space between RH bottom of engine and body. I imagine on original assembly the engine is dropped in fully assembled, with little thought for belt changes in 15 years time. I suppose other front wheel drive cars are similar.

Yes, which is also why the crank sensor is routed in the self destructive way that it is.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2019, 10:20:53 »

It makes life easier on many FWD cars to remove the wheel arch liner to improve access to the belts and pulleys.  :y

I've only ever done this job on one transverse engined car - jaguar x-type V6. As far as I can work out, the easiest method involves using a well trained ambidextrous spider monkey to thread the belt for you.

Or at least to not have hands like shovels.  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2019, 17:48:17 »

Assuming the same as the Rover 25 - it will be - changing the aux belt is pretty easy and straightforward.  There is decent space between the engine and the inner wing :)
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2019, 18:07:34 »

Assuming the same as the Rover 25 - it will be - changing the aux belt is pretty easy and straightforward.  There is decent space between the engine and the inner wing :)
Unlike your pride and joy Zafira
if you have to do that aux belt, I can email you a list of swear words you will need  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2019, 18:11:33 »

Unlike your pride and joy Zafira
if you have to do that aux belt, I can email you a list of swear words you will need  ;D
I looked at changing it once.  Came to the conclusion of "nah, f'it, its only the shitbox zafira", and never looked again ;D
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2019, 22:13:48 »

Did you manage to lock the tension pulley in the release position? I never did. I suspect, like on the Astra cam belt change job, it is necessary. or at least very desirable.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2019, 22:32:58 »

This. Quick easy job, even on a MGF.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2019, 23:15:52 »

That's told me.
My other problem was, even with the tensioner pulley fully retracted, I struggled to get the new belt on the pulleys. I had this once before with an Omega auxiliary belt, I swear it was too short, and I never used it in the end. I know belts stretch, but there is not that much slack with sprung tensioners.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2019, 23:28:54 »

That's told me.
My other problem was, even with the tensioner pulley fully retracted, I struggled to get the new belt on the pulleys. I had this once before with an Omega auxiliary belt, I swear it was too short, and I never used it in the end. I know belts stretch, but there is not that much slack with sprung tensioners.

Are you using a long spanner or ratchet on them? That usually gives plenty of slack to get the belt on, which is tricky with standard length tools. The other thing to do is to fit the belt to all the ribbed pulleys first, and slip the back face onto the smooth tensioner. This requires less movement, and saves the need for an octopus.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2019, 23:45:15 »

Try it on SWMBO's Citroen C3 (BMW Mini engine apparently  :-\) The belt only drives the water pump part time and you need to disengage the drive to the belt ...... I didn't  :-[

Citroen did the job for me after I'd oppsed it up ...... £300 something IIRC

How hard can it be to change a 'fan belt'?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2019, 13:04:58 »

Are you using a long spanner or ratchet on them? That usually gives plenty of slack to get the belt on, which is tricky with standard length tools. The other thing to do is to fit the belt to all the ribbed pulleys first, and slip the back face onto the smooth tensioner. This requires less movement, and saves the need for an octopus.
These 2 tips are exactly what I would recommend.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2019, 13:43:34 »

That's told me.

Thanks Nick, several good tips there. I removed the outer (power steering) belt easily, locking the tensioner with a pin through the hexagon. It was trickier rotating the alternator belt hexagon, with a long spanner things got in the way, and a short spanner lacked the leverage.

Haynes does a wonderful job explaining things concisely,  ' To hold the tension pulley in this position, fit a locking pin (max 3mm diameter) into the hole in the backplate, against the stop on the tension pulley.'He adds drawing 5.50 to clarify things, but in vain. Holding the ratchet with one hand I could not see where to insert my pin.

Next time it will be easier. I imagine Astras are similar.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2019, 16:45:43 »

Try it on SWMBO's Citroen C3 (BMW Mini engine apparently  :-\) The belt only drives the water pump part time and you need to disengage the drive to the belt ...... I didn't  :-[

Citroen did the job for me after I'd oppsed it up ...... £300 something IIRC

How hard can it be to change a 'fan belt'?

Water pump runs off the back of the serpentine belt,there is a little plastic toggle to pull to release the tension from the water pump,easy then ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.