Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT rant..  (Read 1874 times)

Bigpimping

• Belfast
    • Omega 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
MOT rant..
« on: 30 October 2011, 22:20:16 »

Last week i passed my retest after being failed the first time for a Track Rod End..  Was well pleased as the car i bought had been parked up for over a year.
 Then this week suddenly my front brake pads are getting replaced and the Track Rod end on the other side is fooked.
I don't mind having to do this but how the hell did the Fool in the MOT Centre not see this problem just days before.
Just shows ya these a-holes that work in these places aren't exactly as thorough as they like to seem.
   Anyone else have any stories about thier experiences with the MOT Fools..?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: MOT rant..
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2011, 22:31:54 »

As not a help request, suggest general car chat :y

Mot results vary vastly. I have had advisories one year, not even picked up the next!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2011, 22:50:20 »

Who has decided that the other track rod and brake pads need replacing?

Could it be that they are not applying the same standards as an MOT tester?

Not sure brake lining thickness is a fail if the brakes are satisfactory in performance and if the lining thickness can't be measured without dismantling it certainly isn't.  Did you get an advisory?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2011, 22:56:43 »

Not sure brake lining thickness is a fail if the brakes are satisfactory in performance and  ..........

It is  ??? My bike was knocked back the year before last, & I had an advisory for a car a few years ago. As you say though, if your linings on your drum brakes are like a Rizla but still pass the brake roller test, it's a pass.  ??? ???

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2011, 23:02:37 »

Last week i passed my retest after being failed the first time for a Track Rod End..  Was well pleased as the car i bought had been parked up for over a year.
 Then this week suddenly my front brake pads are getting replaced and the Track Rod end on the other side is fooked.
I don't mind having to do this but how the hell did the Fool in the MOT Centre not see this problem just days before.
Just shows ya these a-holes that work in these places aren't exactly as thorough as they like to seem.
   Anyone else have any stories about thier experiences with the MOT Fools..?

Wondering if the pad-to-disc swept contact area is poor? :-\
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2011, 23:18:50 »

Mot standard is the absolute lowest, bare minimum, basic level of road worthiness....although boarder line may well be in the eye of the beholder.

I bet we all know which tester is more likely to pass something dodgy, and which will be very strict.

Seems to me it's not worth the risk of using a slack tester. Personally I want to know whats wrong with my car and trust that it will be as reliable as possible. There's nothing worse than that nagging doubt that the pads and discs are low, or there's play in this part or that. Get it fixed, job done. Who cares how it's diagnosed...?

Although if needs must, there always the dodgy tester round the corner.... ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2011, 00:38:24 »

The tester I use is strict, but knows that I won't scrimp ;) If it needs it, it gets done. So not unheard of for something borderline to be advised, knowing I'll do it and nip in for him to see when done :y I've never failed to sort it within a few weeks yet so I get good treatment :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2011, 06:45:16 »

The place I use is one of those "slack testers" he knows me well and passes most things a "cross the t's, dot the I's" kind of guy would fail.
That's not to say he would let me drive away in a car that's about to kill me, I have had one fail in the last 10 years or so and that was for brake in-balance and my wife took the car in who he doesn't know....
My guy know that if he tells me anything wrong with the car, it gets done....
It's worth finding a satiation like that and staying there...

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2011, 06:45:50 »

IMHO ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2011, 07:13:10 »

Mot standard is the absolute lowest, bare minimum, basic level of road worthiness....although boarder line may well be in the eye of the beholder.

I bet we all know which tester is more likely to pass something dodgy, and which will be very strict.

Seems to me it's not worth the risk of using a slack tester. Personally I want to know whats wrong with my car and trust that it will be as reliable as possible. There's nothing worse than that nagging doubt that the pads and discs are low, or there's play in this part or that. Get it fixed, job done. Who cares how it's diagnosed...?

Although if needs must, there always the dodgy tester round the corner.... ;)

Yes, I think that's a sound philosophy. 8) :y

azza_126

• bedfordshire
    • omega 3.0 v6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2011, 07:27:19 »

im an mot tester for the pad question the pad material has to be less than 1.5mm thick to fail and the disc's need to basicly be hanging off to fail but depending on what wheels you have and the rear backing plate on disc's you cant always see till the wheel comes of which we cant do.
is the any other questions that i might be able to anser?

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2011, 10:12:47 »

I read the term " slack tester " with a smile as over here in Ireland the press recently exposed testers in the NCT (National Car Testing ) Authority for passing any vehicle submitted for the test if there was a € 50 note in the ashtray.
Unlike UK it's a Public owned and run operation with no facilities for add on repairs hence the nice little tickle of €50 being warmly accepted.
The main benefactors were Taxis although some of the local "country " cars down here in Kerry would warrant some investigation methinks.....
My Omega goes for its test on Thursday . Up until this year the test was every two years but for cars older than 10 years they have now changed it to an annual event.
Just have to hang on to it a little longer 'cause strangly once a car reaches 30 years old it is no longer subject to a roadworthiness test ....ever . I've seen a 1950's Austin pick up  with roughly hand beaten rear wings made from old sheet steel that fit where they hit and a Ford E93 van freshly handpainted and sign written being proudly driven around that the owner had to use three blocks of wood and a steel bar to lever the chassis up to allow the passenger door to open ... :o
Only in Ireland. ::)

justjohn

• West Lothian - Scotland
    • Transit Connect
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2011, 10:22:32 »

What happened to regular servicing and the pre-mot check?

Personally I would be pleased to have got the ticket, anything cropping up later can be done at my leisure. My MOT test station know me as a regular, fair but would not hesitate to fail if I missed something serious.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2011, 10:51:41 »

I used to be a tester myself a few years ago and its a fact that tests will vary between stations,at the end of the day its down to the individual tester but no two people are the same so what one may advise another may fail.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.