Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit negotiations  (Read 68968 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit negotiations
« Reply #120 on: 15 November 2018, 17:03:43 »

And that's probably why some, incorrectly IMHO, pushing for another vote.  Now the realisation is finally dawning.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #121 on: 15 November 2018, 17:04:11 »

We voted to leave. Very few people actually believe a no deal exit is viable. So we have to have an abortion of a compromise.

Surely that was blatantly obvious at the point we all voted for it.

Though maybe not, as the less informed trailer trash types believe what the BBC/Mail/Sky say, and thought they could have the world, and there would still be enough tax income to pay for what they hold dear...
Macdonalds and sugary drinks?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 15 November 2018, 17:06:57 »

Anyway, Appeaser Mayhem has called a news conference for 5pm. Hopefuly she is finally going to throw in the towel, although Im not counting on it. She has poor political instinct but has a very strong survival instinct.
Matters not who is at the helm.  We can't stay (that's undemocratic), we cant no-deal leave (that's financial suicide), so we have to have something half-arsed.  Irrespective of who's in.

That's reality.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 15 November 2018, 17:09:25 »

And that's probably why some, incorrectly IMHO, pushing for another vote.  Now the realisation is finally dawning.

Yep.

The Utopian 'have our cake and eat it' ideal of what Brexit would be like is slowly slipping away.

It's a complete clusterf*uck. :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 15 November 2018, 17:18:54 »

Though maybe not, as the less informed trailer trash types believe what the BBC/Mail/Sky say, and thought they could have the world, and there would still be enough tax income to pay for what they hold dear...

I fervently believe that this was the case. Based on some notion of empire, the greatness of the island, the "fact" that they need us more than we need them.

Genuinely a lot of people I spoke to believed that we'd "go over there, tell em how it is" and "they'll have to roll over because of the amount of trade we do with them" (actual quotes from people I know). Now, the fact we haven't shown Jerry what for and we aren't all back in time for tea and medals, realisation is dawning and we're looking round for someone to blame.

Hand on heart I don't think TM is much cop, but she also has a completely impossible task. Given that a lot of the Brexit talk was about things, or combinations of things that could never come to pass, she was only ever going to be on a hiding to nothing.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 15 November 2018, 17:28:30 »

You've just got to admire Mays resilience. She's been batting at the crease for a good few hours now, and no one seems to have delivered a googlie.
She's deranged, of course, but determined.

Nor is anyone going to. Because then they will be stuck with having to create and carry out an effective plan. And there isn't one.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 15 November 2018, 17:33:15 »

I fervently believe that this was the case. Based on some notion of empire, the greatness of the island, the "fact" that they need us more than we need them.

Genuinely a lot of people I spoke to believed that we'd "go over there, tell em how it is" and "they'll have to roll over because of the amount of trade we do with them" (actual quotes from people I know). Now, the fact we haven't shown Jerry what for and we aren't all back in time for tea and medals, realisation is dawning and we're looking round for someone to blame.

Hand on heart I don't think TM is much cop, but she also has a completely impossible task. Given that a lot of the Brexit talk was about things, or combinations of things that could never come to pass, she was only ever going to be on a hiding to nothing.

Sadly.Yes. :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 15 November 2018, 17:33:57 »

You've just got to admire Mays resilience. She's been batting at the crease for a good few hours now, and no one seems to have delivered a googlie.
She's deranged, of course, but determined.

Nor is anyone going to. Because then they will be stuck with having to create and carry out an effective plan. And there isn't one.
You can't possibly say that on here :o. Next you'll insist on Rover parts for the Metro.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 15 November 2018, 17:49:23 »

Anyway, Appeaser Mayhem has called a news conference for 5pm. Hopefuly she is finally going to throw in the towel, although Im not counting on it. She has poor political instinct but has a very strong survival instinct.
Matters not who is at the helm.  We can't stay (that's undemocratic), we cant no-deal leave (that's financial suicide), so we have to have something half-arsed.  Irrespective of who's in.

That's reality.

It would meaning dealing with the EU on WTO terms (for a while at least) which is exactly how we deal with much of the world and have done for a long time.
Please explain how that is financial suicide.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 15 November 2018, 18:29:11 »

If you have a puppy rolling on its back as a negotiator you are going to get a dogs dinner of an agreement.

It needed a hardball player to negotiate a deal. For one thing we shouldhavebottomed out trade not left that as a difficultthing for a couple of years down the line. We have oppsed up big time. Eu negotiators 1 uK 0 .

Anyone still sitting on the fence wondering should get off and get behind leaving.  Fannying about is just going toleave us all worse off. If that means gettingbehind Boris or the minister for 1780 then so be it. I just hope a better face turns up. Noel Edmunds Deal or no Deal.!?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 15 November 2018, 18:56:23 »

I don't believe that it was inevitable that we arrived at this point at all.

It's just the naivety and incompetence of those who were handling it, and who lets face it didn't believe in what they were doing that brought us here.

In June 2017 when the EU insisted on the absurd phased negotiations and HMG backed down to make the first concession, it should have been recognised at that point that a good deal was unlikely. 

They then could have spent the last 18 months or so devising a new regulatory and tax environment for UK business and industry that worked for all, not just the small percentage that actually trade with their continental counterparts, and that would have ensured that our economy thrived whatever the outcome of the talks.

So much wasted time and opportunity.  :(
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 18:58:18 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 15 November 2018, 18:59:24 »

Exactly.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 15 November 2018, 19:12:12 »

That's reality.

It would meaning dealing with the EU on WTO terms (for a while at least) which is exactly how we deal with much of the world and have done for a long time.
Please explain how that is financial suicide.
If you struggle to understand what WTO terms and costs (not just the 10%, but also the extra buearocracy) added to our biggest export market, take a peek at what the stock market and the banks have done at the mearest hint of losing free trade with out biggest partner....   ….and that's just the very unlikely case of no-deal (because that's never gonna happen - no Brexit is more likely, and that's pretty unlikely).

And global companies won't want to set up here, because of the extra costs in getting to major markets. They will set up in euro countries instead.  This is a car site, so lets consider that - BMW are already looking at options of moving BINI production outside the UK, so that's 5000 jobs directly lost, and the same again in the supply channel (who can't supply BMW in euroland, due to being uncompetitive due to the additional costs). Nissan have suggested that Sunderland won't get new models when under WTO conditions. So will get mothballed. That leaves Honda and the country's biggest car manufacturer, JLR.  JLR is headed, I believe, by a German, and have other manufacturing plants around the globe, so have no loyalties to the UK.  That could easily be 1-2m lost jobs. Which then hits the retail and entertainment sectors, who will lose staff...  ...it'll be another major, major UK recession, when we haven't recovered from the last one (which is currently estimated to burden use until around 2035, assuming we don't have another).

Even the most empassioned Brexiteer admits to a short and mid-term financial fallout, but prefer non scary terms like mid-term, rather than 2 or 3 generations, or 50yrs.

Simples really.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 15 November 2018, 19:15:50 »

It's just the naivety and incompetence of those who were handling it, and who lets face it didn't believe in what they were doing that brought us here.
I fail to see why anybody would think it would be any different?  As explained, a no-deal type exit would never fly with anyone (which is why no viable politician will back it). And the government were forced to come up with a compromise, as the people voted to stop non EU immigrants crossing the Med to come to our country.

And the EU were going to roll over for an insignificant island? Yeah, right.

So this is what "we" wanted.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 15 November 2018, 19:23:11 »

I fail to see why anybody would think
Though accept that some people do genuinely believe that we, as the weaker partner (esp currently), could make demands of the EU, and out of the goodness of their heart, they would roll over and let us tickle their tum.

If I was the EU, I'd be bending the UK negotiators over, and making them sweat. And still give nothing.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 44   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.